rafamk3supra90 MK3 HELP PLEASE

Rafamk3supra90

Sep 21, 2012
SOCAL
Wats goin on fellow MK3 Supra owners, i gotta pretty big problem on my hands and i need assitance ASAP! I have a 1990mk3 with the 7m-gte and it has 200,150 miles and its 5 speed. I keep up with regular maintenance so its been workin good for me (im saving up to fix it up but need more money first so its bone stock). MY SUPRAS PROBLEMS ARE that when i pulled out the spark plugs i noticed that they were drenched in oil and have no idea whats going on they also had a black tip so im going to replace them soon. Also it has a whining sound kind of like a super charger when its in first gear i dont know what its from. It also smells like gas sometimes idk where the smell comes from specifically, it also has a vacume leak i think in the hood side where the battery is because i hear a weird kind of hiss. When its in first gear, once you hit 1500RPMs it doesnt get any power even if you floor it until like 3 seconds later then it takes off! same thing in all the gears. And the last thing i can remember is it sometimes takes me like 4 tries to start it up in the morning before heading to work and i have to hold both clutch and gas down while giving gas some pumps so it will start. PLEASE GIVE ME SUGGESTIONS AND HELP! THANK YOU!!!

I want to weigh the difference and see if i should BUY A NEW 7M-GTE ENGINE or FIX THIS CURRENT ONE.

-Possible Vacume Leak
-No Power at any gear for at least 3 seconds
-Spark Plugs drenched in oil
-Gasonline smell
-Problems starting sometimes

Specs: Slightly bigger single turbo, stock 1990 Toyota Supra Turbo (7m-Gte), 5 Speed Manual

PLEASE LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU RECOMMEND -- ENGINE FIX or NEW 7M (NO I DONT WANNA GO 1JZ or 2JZ i wanna get all the power i can out of a original 7m)

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I AM NOT A MECHANIC.. just giving you my thoughts...

Sounds like your turbo is shot.
Buying a new 7MGTE? No such thing. You can build one, buy a JDM one and freshen it up.
I think that your bearings are shot in your turbo and the turbine is hitting the housing (making the whine). It is probably torn up the seals and spitting oil directly into the intake (and intercooler) now.

Now... why would you drive it when its doing this???

The whining sound is really a bad description... like a supercharger? Is it coming from the transmission or the engine? Can you feel it in the shifter? Smells like gas can sometimes be a broken fuel line but you would smell it heavy all the time. It could be that your missing vacuum tubing going to the charcoal cannister...

How about some photos of the engine bay?

(all the above is guessing from your description. Photos help a ton, I have a ton of thoughts for what your problems "might" be.. but anything I say may cause you to do a wild goose chase.)

Have you thought about having a GOOD mechanic peek at it? A rebuild is not where you want to go unless you have to or you are looking for an excuse to build your engine. Some shops will give you a thought to what is wrong if you talk to the service manager/mechanic directly and explain what you are driving. (I have yet to meet a mechanic that didnt want to see my engine.. lol)

Numba1Stuna

Apr 18, 2012
Nampa, ID
Power loss- Check the Tps, unplug it, does it start up easier with the tps unplugged?

Oil leak- I'm guessing valve cover gasket. Check it out.

Gas smell- I'd say check the injectors. 200k and the grommets probably have wear and causing a leak. Like mentioned above, may also be a hose.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2

Rafamk3supra90

Sep 21, 2012
SOCAL
Ive looked into it a little more and the turbo isnt shot its practicaly new and a slight upgrade then the stock. I noticed that under the headers is some tubing that was connected to the engine and saw it had a crack but when i try to move it or close it up it opens up another slight opening on the opposite side so im trying to take it out to replace it and it might have a slight help with my car but the whole problem about the sparkplugs covered in oil is bad cuz if i go to buy more spark plugs the (double platinum) ones the supra needs are rare and expensive so i feel like i shouldnt put new ones in because that leaking of the oil might come back so what do u guys recommend, thanks again.

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Hate to say it, but punctuation really helps... (pet peeve)

I think you are talking about the rubber hose coming from the turbo going to the intercooler. That is a common one for getting too hot and then falling apart over time. You can create a hard pipe/silicon hose solution, buy a used one (its referred to as Hose #1 in the TSRM). It is the first pipe that the turbo blows into for sending air to the intercooler.. so if its leaking, it will definitely have an effect.
As far as the oil in the sparkplug galley, you need to redo your valve cover gaskets. There is also a center gasket (galley) for above the spark plugs that you can still get OEM. THere is a writeup on redoing this cover. (that is.. if your talking about oil on the spark plugs up top)
If your talking about the bottom end of the spark plugs being coated in oil, that could be from the valve stem seals. If they aren't in properly (like mine weren't) they can allow a lot of oil in the cylinder (like mine were doing). I pulled my head for that, but you can do it without pulling the head with rope and a specially made pipe to compress the springs.. but its a pain in the ass.

Failing that, the only other areas oil would get in is cracked block (very very unlikely) or bad rings.

Again.. pics help a ton.. and try to make it easy for us to read your questions...

oh yeah.. double platinum??? you dont need double platinum.. but there is a whole thread with that argument.. lol.

Some reading for you...

http://www.supramania.com/forums/sh...the-best-spark-plugs-to-use-in-a-7MGTE-engine
http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?8689-spark-plugs-for-7mgte

and.. (not sure if you need to be a member to see it)
http://www.toyota-supra.info/forums/mkiii-faq/7527-got-oil-on-top-of-your-spark-plugs.html

AbsoluteSpeed

Aug 8, 2007
Edmonton AB
Like Gandavi & Numba1Stuna said, the oil on the plugs is very likely from the valve cover gaskets.

Your 'possible vacuum leak' could be causing the lack of power and the issue with starting or the timing could be off. See the Toyota Supra Repair Manual (TSRM)
http://www.supracentral.com/foundation/tsrm/engine-mechanical/ <--Save this and reference it anytime you have an issue.
And the smell of gas could also be caused by the timing being off.

jetjock;1890203 said:
Since those are all simple problems to repair you should buy a new engine.
Don't be a dick, the guy is just overwhelmed.

snowman

Banned
Oct 12, 2012
Mpls
Well the wallet situation is one I do know about. Say, if you don't want to spend any more money. I don't know when you may have given the car a tune up, but you can take a propane torch and burn off all the gunk and clean the plugs electrodes and stick em back in. Granted, it will only last you a while, until you find the main culprit or decide to get into the head in one way or another.

In my opinion from your description, the plugs are so gunked up they wont spark. Clean em, throw em back in, and prepare what you can in an oil change or 2. New engine? FOr wat? The problem seems to be top side. Not the bottom.