radiator is leaking, 2 questions?

mk3tattoos

Apr 12, 2008
Bremerton, Wa
just finished the 1jz swap and after i started the car i can see it dripping from the bottom, drianed it and left the cap on so i could hear were its leaking from, heard it at the top left side of the radiator was smashed in alittle on the vents. i am using the hydro fan as well

can this be fixxed? (just untill i go with the 2jz water pump) i have a working 87 radiator and fan shroud.

do i have to use the hydro fan radiator or is there a replacement for it?

Last edited:

mk3tattoos

Apr 12, 2008
Bremerton, Wa
ill try that out, i was also thinking i could put some jb weld after i get them all straight. only need it to hold up for 6 month of short drives to work, 10min drive at most.

GotTurbos?

2J = Here; Swap = Near
Apr 24, 2006
Dallas, TX
The radiators are the same no matter what fan you use. The hydro-fan bolts on just the same as the mechanical fan shroud.

The only difference is the lower temp sensor for the hydrofan ecu which is "optional".

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Hydro fan radiator is different than a stock 7M radiator (which I'm assuming you're talking about). Koyo makes a replacement for the hydro fan radiator if you'd like to keep it.

f00g00

Supramania Contributor
Jul 2, 2007
Kuwait
The hydrofan must be used with the hydrofan shroud but will bolt to the regular radiator. The hole in the shroud is in the center for the hydrofan and its off center to the right (passenger side) for the water pump fan.
I didn't install mine because when the motor was shipped with "everything" it didn't have the ECU, cooling fins for the pump that mounts under the rad and associated wiring , (at least chopped plugs) for the hyd fan.
If you run it without the temp sensor it will probably run full speed but test first if you go this route.