Race Ready 7M

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
Hey Van,

A lack of torque is the first sign of a slipping clutch. My ACT TS2-XTSS started slipping at ~350 wtq which was 15 psi of boost on the setup at that time. ACT sent me a new clutch on their nickel because of a mis-advertisment. After break-in with the new clutch, at the same boost, it felt like a different car.

The clutch is currently holding ~21 psi just fine. ;)

How's the chatter with that light of flywheel?

Van

87t Hardtop
Mar 26, 2006
Oak Grove, OR 97267
CajunKenny;1869922 said:
Hey Van,

A lack of torque is the first sign of a slipping clutch. My ACT TS2-XTSS started slipping at ~350 wtq which was 15 psi of boost on the setup at that time. ACT sent me a new clutch on their nickel because of a mis-advertisment. After break-in with the new clutch, at the same boost, it felt like a different car.

The clutch is currently holding ~21 psi just fine. ;)

How's the chatter with that light of flywheel?
Kenny,
No chatter, as the clutch disk is stock.

mecevans;1870113 said:
Have you noticed quicker spool with the lighter flywheel?
Mecevans,
Yes, the spool is noticably quicker, the CT26 hits harder too, but all the power and torque feels as if it is just coming on sooner, not that it is over all more powerful. I haven't been down to the track to drive it and really see how it performs. That will have to wait until next year. Van

Van

87t Hardtop
Mar 26, 2006
Oak Grove, OR 97267
The Supra threw a code 32 yesterday, while under acceleration.:3d_frown: At this point it may be the AFM, the wires or, the JDM ECU. It's at VIP Performance so they can get to the bottom of it. On Monday they're going to determine which one it is. Wryann speculated the turbo oil seepage from the front of the compressor on turbos, coupled with my Supra's smooth turbo intake pipe, allows the oil to reach the air filter, so the AFM may be getting sprayed with oil. He'll rule that out on Monday. Van

Last edited:

Van

87t Hardtop
Mar 26, 2006
Oak Grove, OR 97267
bloodasp90;1873071 said:
van, you need a CT? i got an extra one if you need it.. its not pretty.. but it works..
Eric,
Thanks for the offer. I'll keep that in mind when the turbo really does need a rebuild... Van

Van

87t Hardtop
Mar 26, 2006
Oak Grove, OR 97267
Zumtizzle;1873073 said:
Just buy a VPC, and call it done. ;)
I'll likely go AEMv2 thru Driftmotion when I get tired of working with all the old electonics on my car. The ECU and AFM are both more than 20 years old! Van

Van

87t Hardtop
Mar 26, 2006
Oak Grove, OR 97267
Long term update on the Race Ready 7MGTE Supra: I've been driving the Supra’s new set-up, lightened Fidanza flywheel, new Action clutch kit, new poly bushings for the motor and transmission mounts, and all the suspension bits, for the past four months (Oct, Nov, Dec, Jan) through the wet, dry and the cold. As reported earlier, the Supra on stock rims w/ sticky 245/45/16 on all corners, are no match for the new set-up, as the torque overcomes the rear contact patch. I can now spin the wheels in gears 1-2-3 at will! Obviously, a much wider contact patch is required.
This version of the Supra, is an evolutionary development. As a reminder, the new engine is running 9.4:1 compression ratio, has a modified head, with the purpose of getting better flow. To that end the stock head was subjected to a port and polish to open up the exhaust side by removing the offending phospher-bronze valve guide right down to the port surface and the intake port dividers were reduced by 20% to increase flow into the head. Additionally, a slight change to the combustion chamber squish area by 20%, valve seats are fully radiused and valves back cut for the seat and 100Lbs springs added to the valve train, to reflect that this engine was going to spend most of its existence above 3000 RPMs. All this was done by the great team at M&B Cylinder Head. The finished head was then sent off to get ceramic coatings to the valve face, and cylinder head combustion chamber to help control the heat this engine was going to generate. Baked on moly coatings to the cam seats and caps to aid their durability, all done by the team at RM Engineering.
To get that power out effectively, we put in lighter and stronger, short skirt, forged pistons, lighter forged rods, and lightened, reshaped and hardened 6M crank. Additionally, the piston faces were also ceramic coated, baked on moly coating on the skirts and oil shedding ceramic coating to the under side. To help control the inherent vibrations of reciprocating parts, the pieces are balanced to within 1 gram of each other. The rotating assembly (included the crank, flywheel, pressure plate and clutch disc), was then zero balanced at 750RPM on a Sunnen computerized balancer, at M&B, to allow the top RPM of 7500 RPM. The block was milled down to give us the 9.4:1 compression ratio and both the oil and coolant passages dressed up to improve flow. M&B then put an RA on the milled surface that was down around 5 or 6. At RM Engineering, we modified the block with an oil shedding ceramic coating to speed up the return of oil to the sump on the inside, and a heat dispersing ceramic coating on the outside. There has been a lot of time and thought that went into the improvements on this engine. The oil pump was modified to give more pressure at idle, but very little more than 45 psi at WOT. A crank scraper was added to get more of the oil off the crank for less parasitic drag and back into the sump more readily. Oil capacity in the sump was increased from 5 to 7 quarts, added baffles, gates and a temperature activated oil cooler, to keep those oil molecules happy.
Next the Supra was sent to be tuned at VIP Performance. We are using a Gready SBC II to control the turbo waist gate, adj cam gears, adj FP regulator on a JDM ECU (no EGR), Lexus MAF(w/ extended set screw), for fine tuning. The engine is tuned to stay in a safe range for this engine using a stock CT26 with modified ports and the stock exhaust manifold. Both were ceramic coated inside and out, with exhaust going out a full three inch piping and muffler, with a ceramic coated down pipe. This resulted in 316/328 bhp/tq, on a stock clutch kit. The result was a significant improvement over the 7MGTE’s 232/248 bhp/tq. I hazard to say it is the next generation of M engines, an 8MGTE.
As to the chassis, the suspension set-up which includes uprated RSR racing springs (700Lbs front/400Lbs rear), poly bushings all around, Tanabe Sustec light weight chrome-moly anti-sway bars front and rear, and a poly transmission and engine support help to transfer the power more effectively, w/o too much noise getting into the cabin. Handling is much improved over the previous generation’s rubber bushings.
Next, the Supra went on a diet to lose weight and increase the Supra’s handling in corners. Steering has been modified from stock to delete the power steering pump for the purpose of increasing control and reducing weight and power loss. We added a recirculation hose across the high pressure feeds on the steering box, so any fluid in the box re-circulates through the hose. The result is noticeably increased control and road feel through the steering wheel. A smaller alternator, a larger, lighter radiator of aluminum, is added. Aluminum ATI Super damper replaces the heavy steel version. The back plate which the transmission bolts to at the back of the engine, is replaced with a hardened aluminum version. Other plates on the engine are replaced with lighter versions as well. As mentioned earlier, a 9.6 Lbs flywheel replaces the stock steel version. An aluminum drive shaft replaces the stock steel version. The front steel bumper was cut out to reduce the weight, but not lose integrity. The plan is to replace both front and rear with fabricated aluminum versions to hang the bumper covers on. The interior also went on a diet; stock seats are replaced with Kirkey aluminum, intermediate road race versions that weigh in at fifteen pounds each. Radio and Air-conditioning controls are removed, in their place a gauge cluster to monitor the engine oil, transmission and differential temps. Radio speakers are removed.
To lower the center of gravity, we bolted the seats as low as we could get them using a floor bracket. We achieved a 4.5 inch reduction in the driving height over stock. The RSR racing springs lowered the overall height of the car by a little over one inch in the front and a little less than one inch in the rear. This necessitated a realignment to get the set-up as close to spec and reduce bump steer.
It’s not all good news; first, we added the Supra Sport traction bars, but I can still get wheel hop under very hard launches, so that needs resolving. Due to the heavy bumpers; the car tends to pitch too much. Due to the Supra being top heavy, it tends to roll too much. After all is said and done, it now is a better GT car then it was from the factory, as the fun to drive quotient is almost off the scale.
The acceleration is exhilarating; press the go pedal carefully and the Supra nails you to the seat from 2,500 – 6000 RPMs. Over exuberant use will cause it to spin the rubber. Driving around town your reminded of the power under the hood, from the nice exhaust note. Snap the throttle, and the new engine willingly revs, then falls quickly back to idle. The new lightened flywheel needs some getting used to, as the lack of mass can cause the engine to die when engaging the clutch from a stop in my usual way. Also, the reduced mass will cause the engine to lose inertia more quickly, causing more engine braking effect than usual, so I’m guessing here; that the stock clutch disc won’t last as long…five years?
The weight reduction from 3535 to 3325 Lbs, works well for the new Supra, as it is more predictable in corners w/o under steer and has been a joy to throw it into corners, and let it go into a four wheel drift. In auto-cross, it's fun to be able to tap the brake to get the front under control and thread the needle or tap the gas to get power over steer when needed, the car can do all of that. What is un-nerving is the rate of deceleration, when I lift off the go pedal, due in large part to the lightened flywheel, the car just loses momentum. Gas mileage is likely improved, but as I’ve been driving the new Supra aggressively, I haven’t seen any savings at the pump.
I’ll plan on a track day at PIR, so I can know how well this set-up works on the track.
Van

Last edited:

crisp

existentialincrementalist
May 25, 2007
Ohio
THOROUGHLY enjoyed reading that latest post, Van! Very nice update, and wonderful details for us to follow along and appreciate. Thank you for taking the time... much more rewarding than the all-too common MONGO TURBO and MONSTER POWER agendas that frequent many builds! A LOT to be said for your approach and the finesse with which you are tackling it. Keep up the good work, and POST PICS of some of those details on the car! :biglaugh:

-crisp

Van

87t Hardtop
Mar 26, 2006
Oak Grove, OR 97267
adampecush;1869517 said:
I'm impressed that you dd a car you track. Mine feels (well, felt) harsh on the road and like a wet noodle on the track.

What does it tip the scales at (sorry if it is posted and I didn't read).

Adam
Hi Adam,
Sorry I missed your post... The new Supra weighs in at 3325 Lbs (curb weight).
Van

Van

87t Hardtop
Mar 26, 2006
Oak Grove, OR 97267
crisp;1907606 said:
THOROUGHLY enjoyed reading that latest post, Van! Very nice update, and wonderful details for us to follow along and appreciate. Thank you for taking the time... much more rewarding than the all-too common MONGO TURBO and MONSTER POWER agendas that frequent many builds! A LOT to be said for your approach and the finesse with which you are tackling it. Keep up the good work, and POST PICS of some of those details on the car! :biglaugh:
Crisp,-crisp
Thanks for the support. I and a few friends are making incremental and evolutionary changes to the platform over time to design a weekend road racing car, that you can still enjoy as a daily driver. To me the new Supra suffers from too much vibration transmitted through the steering wheel, on rough, worn street surfaces. I've taken to driving around on those streets with a few less Lbs of air in the tires. When I get the new Supra on the track, I'll see how well she handles and feels on a smooth surface. More pics to come... Van

jnybbad

Sep 16, 2012
vacaville, ca
I've been following your build and learning a lot. Can you tell me how you like the lack of power assist with the stock rack? Also what diameter steering wheel do you use?

Van

87t Hardtop
Mar 26, 2006
Oak Grove, OR 97267
jnybbad;1908101 said:
I've been following your build and learning a lot. Can you tell me how you like the lack of power assist with the stock rack? Also what diameter steering wheel do you use?
All I have to say is, forget parallel parking! Otherwise, I like it more than stock. The steering wheel is stock '87 Supra. Van

Van

87t Hardtop
Mar 26, 2006
Oak Grove, OR 97267
Hi Jnybbad,
I had some MkIV Supra rims on my car with a 50 offset, and they fit nicely under the body, but are too heavy and not what I want. I prefer to go with an Enkei RPF1 in a 17x9, 45 offset to place the wheels out a little further. They're also super light (under 16# each). I'm also choosing to run a non-staggered set up to help keep my cost down. Smaller tire, fully rotatable means less cost. Van

Van

87t Hardtop
Mar 26, 2006
Oak Grove, OR 97267
Here is the much needed oil cooler upgrade, installed by VIP Performance; RX7 Oil Cooler. This thing goes all the way across, and adds one more quart to the system! Next item we will add to this project will be the oil temp sending unit to send a signal to the oil temp gauge in the cabin. I've planned a trip to Oil Filter Services in Portland, to custom fit the sending unit in the return line, then back to VIP for all the electrical connections. Van
WP_000120.jpgWP_000121.jpgWP_000125.jpgWP_000126.jpg

Last edited: