Race Ready 7M

Van

87t Hardtop
Mar 26, 2006
Oak Grove, OR 97267
crisp;1932463 said:
Yes, that and a CACOPHONY of sound!:)

-crisp
Oh Yeah! It will be modified at the shop to include a recirc tube back near the exit flange, like this when it's done:group%20a%20exhaust%201.jpg. It won't have a collector, but instead have a 3 inch dia., DOM, 45 degree bend tube that transitions from round to oval, that bolts up to the exit flange of the down pipe, extending outward near the passenger rear tire.

Van

87t Hardtop
Mar 26, 2006
Oak Grove, OR 97267
It is an AE92 Corolla, w/a 162whp JDM engine and EMS.
Thanks for the comment on the build. I'm working on the brake cooling ducts for Friday's track day. Pictures are on the way. I'll be joined by an '85 Supra, that is bone stock.
Crisp,
Thanks! I see this upgrade like a manufacturer's evolutionary improvement to keep up with improvements in the market. It will stop the car shorter than stock, but the maintenance will be less for me, as will the cost of that maintenance. I went with vented rotors, no drilling or slots, to match the rear stock brakes. The front stock brakes are 26 years old. Time to get them replaced. I don't need a brake failure on the front!

Last edited:

crisp

existentialincrementalist
May 25, 2007
Ohio
Do you know which pad those will come with? I forget the first set I had (BP-10?) but my second set were BP-20 (more aggressive) and I really liked them more for initial bite and fade resistance, although they are wearing the rotor faster. (I'll just replace that next round or so anyway...)

Look forward to your take on them... I'll bet they make you faster than more power...;)

-crisp

AbsoluteSpeed

Aug 8, 2007
Edmonton AB
Van;1933175 said:
No... Revolution Brake. A company in Southern Oregon, that I was referred to by CajunKenny.

I'll have to keep that kit in mind. I like the ArizonaPerformance kit (not that i own it) but, it's good to know there are other options.

Van

87t Hardtop
Mar 26, 2006
Oak Grove, OR 97267
Crisp,
No, I don't know what pad the kit comes with, besides that, I ordered my favorite pad for all around use, Porterfield R4-1. High coefficient of friction for race day, but comes up to ops temp at 200 degrees, so it has good modulation even when OAT is below freezing. Still rotor friendly, and has a ceramic backing plate to slow down the transmission of heat into the caliper.

Van

87t Hardtop
Mar 26, 2006
Oak Grove, OR 97267
The new Wilwood BBK, from Revolution Brake, isn't a bolt on affair. Rather, it requires grinding of the hub! The shop won't have it completed and ready to use until Friday evening. The next time I can get a Track Day is June 21st. Additionally, Revolution Brake sent the wrong rotors. I ordered plain rotors, not the drilled. What the heck! I'll use these for a few years then get them replaced with slotted rotors.

Last edited:

Van

87t Hardtop
Mar 26, 2006
Oak Grove, OR 97267
It took three hours and two mechanics working on it, but the BBK from Revolution Brake has been installed. I added a brake cooling duct kit, so that did add another 30 minutes to the upgrade. I'll have pictures tomorrow.
The brakes are a vast improvement to the stock brakes, with better modulation. I haven't had time to try my favorite country drive, which would really test the new brakes stopping power and modulation at the limit of adhesion.
I also had the car corner balanced and the car weighs 3364, with full spare tire and tank of gas. They were able to get the balance to w/i 15Lbs each corner, by rotating the coil springs. No cutting at this point. Its not ideal, but the car is now a more stable platform. I'm going to take the mods one step at a time, as often as I can!

Last edited:

Van

87t Hardtop
Mar 26, 2006
Oak Grove, OR 97267
At VIP Performance, beside the installation of the BBK, they also installed brake cooling ducts thru the Fog light openings to the openings on the dust shields.
Air Dam BBK Cooling Ducts thru Fog light opening.jpgDriver's Side.jpgDriver's side brake cooling.jpgPassenger side brake cooling.jpgPassenger's side.jpg

Here are some close ups of the BBK:
BBK close up.jpgBBK closeup.jpgClearance.jpg

I had opportunity to go out and drive the new set up... It is a BIG improvement. Now the car has stopping power to keep up with the speed the car can attain.

Last edited:

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
Van;1934502 said:
The new Wilwood BBK, from Revolution Brake, isn't a bolt on affair. Rather, it requires grinding of the hub!

I didn't see that one coming! Did you pass that on to Revolution and get their thoughts? The last time I spoke to them, they gave me the impression that it was a bolt on kit. I wonder if something changed...?

Van

87t Hardtop
Mar 26, 2006
Oak Grove, OR 97267
Hi Kenny,
Yes, they know... They even have instructions on where and how to grind the hub, that is made available to the purchaser in PDF. If you're interested, I can email the file to U. Beside that, it went together very well, the mechanic was able to save the dust shields using this kit.