R155 Transmission?

limequat

Dissident
Apr 1, 2005
Detroit
Anybody know about the R155 transmission in newer tacomas? Looks like an evolution of the R150, as 2-4 gears are the same ratio. This could be an honest Toyota version of the Aisin AR5.

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
Okay, well the output shaft is the same. Looks like the bellhousing will mount up the same. As far as I can tell, the extension housing, input shaft, and bellhousing would have to be changed. Aside from that I think it would probably bolt in pretty easily. Now the question is, what's the advantage? Probably would be a bit smoother shifting, but I doubt it's much stronger. Who knows though, maybe the thrust washer was beefed up somehow, or design changed. I may look into that.

limequat

Dissident
Apr 1, 2005
Detroit
Lol @ the thrust washer.

If it's the AR5 design, it'll have the triple-cone synchros. Jeff, do you have a way of deterimining the input shaft length?

Dr, just curious. I'm pretty much stuck with what i got.

limequat

Dissident
Apr 1, 2005
Detroit
drjonez said:
ha! stuck with? sounds like a sweet setup to me.....perhaps we could slap it in my car and test it's limits? ;)

Lol, my car isn't going anywhere for a while. If you want to borrow my setup for some "capacity testing" I'm game :)

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
Nope, don't stock them. Sorry man. Might be able to check some Tacoma forums, but the R155 was only used on 2WD trucks, and most of the Tacomas are 4x4 at this point IIRC.