R154's DO SUCK!!

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
"Shit Happens"

All it takes is a nick at the root of a tooth from debris to start a stress riser add 700rwhp and it'll go through gear teeth like a fat chick on a corn cob.

Remember guys be fucking polite enough of the name calling crap.

Setheroo

^_^ got horespower?
Oct 16, 2006
Tennessee
www.revogate.com
Lots of the R154's hold up because the wheels usually get a chance to break traction... which is less stressful on the transmission... but in this guys case.. well.. he had slicks!

I say the R154 wasn't enough for the amount of power he was actually putting down...

j3pz

still learning
Setheroo;1149823 said:
Lots of the R154's hold up because the wheels usually get a chance to break traction... which is less stressful on the transmission... but in this guys case.. well.. he had slicks!

I say the R154 wasn't enough for the amount of power he was actually putting down...
this

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49140&highlight=r154+limits
and this...

mainly this

edit: SD, give it a week or two, let it cool, and start bragging how your car just destroyed a fresh R154. just think about after a swap, how much fun the car will be

tsuper92

supra addict
Apr 7, 2005
mass
do the th400,so next year your in the mid 9's like jeff from jaw's.then we'll have more post's to read from next year's vegas thread's.
it's guy's like you pushing the envelope that keep's us other guy's going

tissimo

Stock is boring :(
Apr 5, 2005
Melbourne, FL
D34DC311;1149809 said:
For some reason, it just seems like there is a factor somewhere that made this transmission go boom. I'm sure there are plenty of people who are pushing 700+ horses that have the R154 and drive it aggressively, something just seems odd.

Name people. Around 700-800hp the trans starts to show its weak points.

chevyeater

wastegate hose is pulled
Mar 30, 2005
Long Island, NY
Driving style is the number one contributor to manual trans breakage. I've seen guys go thru "indestructable" V160 boxes like shit thru a goose at only 800 whp. Shock loading a manual trans with sticky radials and more than double the rated torque = broken trans (or other weaker driveline link). Drive smooth or let hydramatic do the shifting for you.

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
Setheroo hit it - running MTs means there is NO give in the drivetrain - I guarantee your rebuild wasn't as 'top notch' as you may have been led to think, and a third gear stress point ate your tranny.

7Mboost

7M Powered
Aug 15, 2006
Gainesville, FL
What have you done to strengthen the transmission for this power? It was designed for a car with 230hp, at over double the power...what did you expect?

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
tissimo;1149865 said:
Name people. Around 700-800hp the trans starts to show its weak points.

That would be why I said I'm sure...and not I know of. :)
I just figured it would handle it, and since its a transmission not just made for the supra, I figured it would have more people hitting the 700+ mark with it.

Flateric

Mar 26, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I'm the original owner of my 1990 mkiii and for ALL of these years up to present day I have run the same tranny without any problems at all.

for 15 of those years I have been running a 480RWHP(and more in recent years) motor and this includes an uncountable amount of friday night 1/4" runs against my brother at our local track for many years. My point being that I certainly do not baby the thing.

I would have to write this one up to bad luck considering I doubt very much you are a shitty stick driver if you own a car with that type of power. I don't think there are too many first time stick drivers with 700RWHP learners in their hands hey! LOL

I'm very surprised it failed to be honest.

YotaRob

U.S.Navy
Jun 18, 2008
Great Lakes
Did you get a set of gears to boot also? It did exceed its 230hp mark expectations. Remember, new only means new, not always good.

chevyeater

wastegate hose is pulled
Mar 30, 2005
Long Island, NY
Doward;1149921 said:
Setheroo hit it - running MTs means there is NO give in the drivetrain - I guarantee your rebuild wasn't as 'top notch' as you may have been led to think, and a third gear stress point ate your tranny.

Nah, he said "slicks". If the car was actually on bias ply drag slicks or ET streets, it very likely wouldn't have broken.

Drag radials kill driveline parts in stick shift cars if you do not drive smooth. Not nessicarily "bad", just not smooth.

EdT.Mk3

Sorta Secret Supra
Aug 21, 2008
San Diego
Hey now, that happened to Ed.D's car. 2JZ+R154, moving up the 805 freeway on a ramp, shifts to 3rd and *crunch* the shifter got stuck in the progression to 3rd. Boost was at... 14lbs? I still have it in the garage, just haven't had the time to dissect it for pics and have everyone drill me on the state of said transmission, :sarcasm:

But do take a breather and remember that there's plenty of junkyards here around the border that have the parts you need.

frontierguy25

Mar 26, 2007
TX
Third is the gear that went out on my most recent R154, I think that with any amount of racing, and pulling hard you are going to ruin it with 700rwhp. I think that it is a great tranny up to that point. If I get enough power, I'll do a auto swap. R154's are a great 5 speed for 600rwhp max, IMO.

I don't think that any one so far has asked, what clutch were you using? I think that over 500rwtq the tranny's don't last long with a single disc clutch, that's why over in Japan they have so many multiplate clutches.

The other thing is you are on drag radials, that will break the tranny with a hard launch with 400rwhp. It's just one of those things

Keep your head up and throw an auto in it and run a 9 sec pass.

pnutcar

1jz Asshole :)
Jan 25, 2006
St. Louis, MO
Thankyou for driving the piss out of your car. I was beginning to think I was the only one who thrashed my baby. Thats what we're supposed to do to them...

SD2JZA70

HardTunedMotorsports
Apr 5, 2005
San Marcos, CA
www.cardomain.com
To clear up the details on how it exactly broke. I did not launch the car in first. I rolled on it in second, shifted into third where it broke under power not while shifting. The trans was fine through the vegas weekend but we were on street tire doing freeway pulls and it was spinning the tires through 4th so it never had the load it did with the DR's. Ive heard so much back and forth about people arguing about what kind of power they can hold and I found out. I will take it out and have it fixed for the time being and then it will be getting an auto so people better get ready for Vegas 2K9 because there will be more than 3 9 sec MK3's there.

SD2JZA70

HardTunedMotorsports
Apr 5, 2005
San Marcos, CA
www.cardomain.com
pnutcar;1150063 said:
Thankyou for driving the piss out of your car. I was beginning to think I was the only one who thrashed my baby. Thats what we're supposed to do to them...

Exactly. I didnt build my car for cruise night or shows. I built it to beat the piss out of it.

upgradedsupra;1150002 said:
As a few said, just relax and get back to it later. If you need a hand in the swap stuff, let me know as I would be happy to help.

Duane

I already went to dinner, relaxed and started figuring the next plan of attack. It will likely be a 400 or a glide but i want to get some opinions from some of you guys running them. Vegas will be great next year if we can get all of us out there and get a full 8 car field.

chevyeater;1149961 said:
Nah, he said "slicks". If the car was actually on bias ply drag slicks or ET streets, it very likely wouldn't have broken.

Drag radials kill driveline parts in stick shift cars if you do not drive smooth. Not nessicarily "bad", just not smooth.

I hear ya but it broke under power so I believe it would have happened regardless of slicks or radial.