R154 Removal HELP!!!

91TurboDave

Suprafile
Nov 8, 2007
Washington
I am having a bitch of a time, not to mention it is raining and freezing here in the Great NW, but anyway onto my problem... Clutch replacement.

My R154 is completely seperated from the block, inspection covers off, clutch fork removed, but the tranny will not come away from the engine completely.
My question is do I have to remove the six bolts on the PP or can I leave it as it sits. I really don't want to remove those bolts if I do not have to. I have read several posts and some say they must be removed, others say you can leave them...someone please clarify. The Tranny is seperated about 3 inches from the block, what do I do now? This sucks and I am freezing my ntz off...

the_ghost

Oct 11, 2006
Columbus, OHIO
91TurboDave;1271789 said:
I am having a bitch of a time, not to mention it is raining and freezing here in the Great NW, but anyway onto my problem... Clutch replacement.

My R154 is completely seperated from the block, inspection covers off, clutch fork removed, but the tranny will not come away from the engine completely.
My question is do I have to remove the six bolts on the PP or can I leave it as it sits. I really don't want to remove those bolts if I do not have to. I have read several posts and some say they must be removed, others say you can leave them...someone please clarify. The Tranny is seperated about 3 inches from the block, what do I do now? This sucks and I am freezing my ntz off...

On the R154, I would remove the PP bolts, slide PP and disc back into tranny! Recommended in the TSRM and from experience. The pull type design of the PP requires the tranny to back way out to clear the PP and this is hard with the tight space if the car is not on a lift.

black89t

boost'en down 101
Oct 27, 2007
humboldt, ca
with the motor in the car you have to unbolt the pp. TRUST ME. a couple months ago i tried just pulling the fork and its impossible. ended up being a huge waste of time. you have to have the the motor out to do it that way because it has to slide back about 6inchs before it will ever drop down with the pp bolted up.

Mk3runner

Supramania Contributor
Nov 19, 2006
Nor Cal
I got lucky then.. lol. you could unbolt the motor mounts and tilt even more. in my mind. its a 7m, pull the whole thing as a unit everytime.

91TurboDave

Suprafile
Nov 8, 2007
Washington
Thanks for all the help guys! It was a struggle but it finally came out! That tip about the grease and a dowel worked Great! I would recommend it to everyone who does not want the trouble of renting a puller. My clutch is the original with 175K and it still popped right out. With all the tips given I was able to benchpress the tranny back in and be back on the road in a few hours...Thanks again!