r154 and 1000 crank hp?

quake

toyota tech
Apr 13, 2005
r.i.
ok so 1000hp is my goal and i am pretty much there just a few more psi. So the question now is can the r154 take it. I built this trans about 3 years ago and have been waiting a long time for it to break. All stock parts no upgrades i see threads with broken r154's but most don't open it up to see what broke. Next problem is i think the clutch will slip soon and i need a remedy for that. The clutch is a act extreeme with a stock flywheel and is just about worn out. I thought of the spec twin but they have unsprung hubs and i think that will put undo stress on the trans during shifts. The os giken only holds 650rwhp? So what are my options did i miss another clutch option at this time?

Cz.

CAR > FAMILY
Mar 31, 2005
Seattle, WA
Is this for a 7M or a JZ motor? There are several three and four plate options for the JZ motors, including OS Giken and ORC. I'm not as familiar with multi-plate options for the 7M outside of what you already mentioned.

What do you plan on doing with the car? From what I have seen, once you get into higher power #s what kills the tranny is shockloads, IE drag racing and burnouts. If you're planning on doing those sorts of things, the R154 may not be able to keep up regardless.
However, Marlin Crawler sells their upgraded R154 and it's supposed to take whatever you can throw at it.

At the very least you might want to look into the upgraded parts that Marlin sells and think about installing those as they are supposed to help the weakest parts of the tranmissin.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Im just curious but what are your mods?

You surely would have blown the r154 at 800+hp. Couple more psi?

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Ya there have been a few people that have broken fresh r154's before 800 even. I for one would like to see a video of this.

Cz.

CAR > FAMILY
Mar 31, 2005
Seattle, WA
nick88;1559967 said:
It will be the same for jz and 7m if it is for the r154.

7M and JZ motors have different flywheel bolt patterns (6bolt vs 8bolt) so they will not be the same as far as multi-plate setups go.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
The amount of flywheel bolts and the torque it takes to break a tranny are 2 different things. Kinda like a car and a family, there 2 different things.

RockPaperSwoRD

I have aCustom User Title
Jul 26, 2008
SanAntonio
hvyman;1560001 said:
The amount of flywheel bolts and the torque it takes to break a tranny are 2 different things. Kinda like a car and a family, there 2 different things.

i think you missed the point.... -_-

multi disc clutches use a proprietary flywheel. they will only work for the engine its made for.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
And your point is? There are multi clutch setups for the 7m but no one over 800hp is willing to keep the r154.

The r154 breaks after 7-800hp.

This is not a clutch or flywheel problem its a too much torque problem.

There is not a problem with a supra engine reaching over 1000hp ts drive line problem and the whole drive line needs to be able to handle 1000hp and torque. If the clutch, tranny,drive shaft, diff, and axles are not up to the task then one of those s going to break.

Last edited:

quake

toyota tech
Apr 13, 2005
r.i.
oops forgot about this post but it's for a 7m we'll see what happens as we go but so far so good

---------- Post added at 08:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:47 PM ----------

hvyman;1559966 said:
Im just curious but what are your mods?

You surely would have blown the r154 at 800+hp. Couple more psi?

not so it's over 800crank right now. 74mm turbo at 27 or so psi with all supporting mods

---------- Post added at 08:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:50 PM ----------

hvyman;1560116 said:
And your point is? There are multi clutch setups for the 7m but no one over 800hp is willing to keep the r154.

The r154 breaks after 7-800hp.

This is not a clutch or flywheel problem its a too much torque problem.

There is not a problem with a supra engine reaching over 1000hp ts drive line problem and the whole drive line needs to be able to handle 1000hp and torque. If the clutch, tranny,drive shaft, diff, and axles are not up to the task then one of those s going to break.

i think you may have missed my point. At this time i face 2 problems one will the tranny break. Second is what clutch to use as the spec does not use sprung discs. As far as the drive line it is stock but i have yet to launch it on the antilag. Won't do it till i have a stronger driveshaft.

quake

toyota tech
Apr 13, 2005
r.i.
nope not yet but i got a spare and the skills to rebuild

---------- Post added at 09:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:44 PM ----------

oh ok

Moy

It's broken...
Aug 6, 2008
Beach Park, IL
As far as I know, Carbonetics, Spec, OS Giken, and (maybe) Tilton have multi-disc clutches for the R154. I am not sure, however, if the Carbonetics is for JZA70 flywheel or MA70 flywheel.

I do know that OS Giken sells multi-plate clutches for the 7M/R154, with 3 plates being the most offered for said application. For the JZA70, there is a 4 disc. I do not know the torque holding capabilities of the clutches though. I may have missed that on the site.

http://www.osgiken.net/

Edit: reading the FAQ section under "how much torque does an OS Giken clutch hold?", the people at OS Giken replied with this:
"Since it is unrealistic to provide a solid torque capacity number without knowing all the specific details, we have chosen to recommend an OS clutch based on the power output and driving types of our customers (street, road race, rally, drag, etc.). Please contact your authorized OS Giken dealer with your inquiries!"

steven89

Jul 8, 2006
Houston, TX
I think this is the highest TQ holding clutch available.
http://www.sipracingmailorder.com/servlet/the-262/7mgte-mk3-supra-dual/Detail
7m%20dual%20disk.gif

Quoted from SIP website
Finally a affordable high strenght twin disk set up is being made for the 7mgte If you are making any kind of HP, this is the clutch for you.. Some of the features include: New Custom Master Cylinder Hydraulic Release bearing (no more slave cylinder) Clutch Disks Pressure plate Flywheel All lines and fittings Clutch Materials: PT (puck twin) are puck discs. SST (super street twin) is a fiber disc. ST (super twin) are the carbon graphite discs. ET (extreme twin) has full metallic discs. Bonus: These kits are a 100% bolt in kit with zero mods to fit them. These are also SFI kits for the drag racers out there! 820Tq up to 1400Tq!!!!!
I believe Duane [upgradedsupra] is running this clutch.

Transmission wise, ive heard good things about marlin crawler.

perpetualthought

Jul 31, 2005
south florida
quake;1563234 said:
wonder if i can retrofit a mkiv flywheel to fit then use a mkiv clutch

yes, I'm in the process right now (1jz). do a search on is300.net, its been done many times.

for a 7m you could re-drill the 2jz flywheel to match the 7m pattern, but its a heavy flywheel.

Last edited:

Moy

It's broken...
Aug 6, 2008
Beach Park, IL
perpetualthought;1563338 said:
yes, I'm in the process right now (1jz). do a search on is300.net, its been done many times.

for a 7m you could re-drill the 2jz flywheel to match the 7m pattern, but its a heavy flywheel.

Not the Tilton haha