R&R Power Seat Base for 1988 Toyota Supra

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Just wondering if anyone has removed the power seat base.

Wondering how the reclining handle comes off. I have the seat out of the car (unplugged) and am trying to take the side cover off. I know the knob for the seat adjustment (reclining) that you turn with your hand has a snap ring (although I haven't seen how to take it off yet), but I don't see how the handle for the reclining function (the one you pull up) comes off. It may just pull off, but I am trying not to break anything during my fun attempt at replacing the power seat base.

Also, the back clip covers that cover the bolt to the floor pan, they seem to crack if you don't pop them off just right. I was wondering if I should work them off from the front or back. Brute forcing just seems to crack them.

Thanks for any insight anyone has.. lol.

Done a lot of searching.. I have found the diagram that shows all the parts, but not any hints for doing it properly.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Im sorry that i cant give you an answer.
But wanted to ask: are you recovering the seats? If so, it'd be great if you did a little writeup w/ pics.
I plan to recover mine in a couple months.

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Not these, but I am actually a trained upholstere (my first trade). I plan on doing my 88 seats in leather so I will do a write up for that.

What I ended up doing on the driver seat was taking the screws out (3), removing the snap clip for the recline knobby, and the taking the seat (upholstered) base off. To remove the back, I took off the back plastic (2 10mm bolts near bottom), taking off 2 side clipped hog rings on each side, removing the bolts. Then I had to remove the hog rings on the very bottom leather that wrapped around the bottom bar on the seat back and undo the lumbar control plugs and wires. 4 bolts total for the seat and 4 bolts for the back.

Will have to do the same to the donor seat that has the functional power base and reassemble both.

Couldn't for the life of me figure out the recliner handle comes off...

MkIII FTW

Aug 31, 2009
Huntsville
I actually made a thread out this about 2 months ago. Not the seat disassembly but recovering there seats. Most members suggested that I go with leatherseats.com. I went the other route and had seat covers made and reupholstered the seats. In my opinion it turned out much nicer than buying seat covers from some company. Not bashing anyone that's just my honest opinion. I will be posting pictures very soon.

Chambers

Now you know
Sep 9, 2007
Baltimore County, Maryland
I think it slides on, I found one with no handle before and it was just a metal arm. I don’t know if there is any adhesive or if it’s some sort of tab holding it on by friction.

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I believe it does too, but there has to be a trick to getting it off. A little raised tab or something... Lol. I usually end up breaking things when I don't know where the "hold" is.

Grandavi

Sep 25, 2008
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Would be appreciated, I just need to know if I can pry it off (flathead screwdriver I am guessing) without making the plastic lever handle cover unusable.. :)
Don't wreck a perfectly good lever handle.. lol.