R-154 tranny removal, hidden bolt?

deazndude

Aug 29, 2011
Orlando
So i got mostly everything i see off of my tranny. Even got the clutch off from the PP. I'm stuck figuring out a way to get the last bolt, that i can't even find. I believe it is the top bolt by the bellhousing. My question is what's the best way to get to this bolt and remove it?

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Did you pull the clutch fork straight out yet?
If not, THAT is your last 'bolt'. Be ready for the tranny to just drop out after that.

Sep 19, 2011
Des Moines, IA
I think he is trying to remove the trans from the engine while still in the car. If you are doing it that way, there is two bolts that are kind of hidden. There is one on the exhaust side of the engine twards the top that you can see if you look for it and the other one is on the other side of the starter bolts on the top of the bellhousing also. It is a big PITA to get to these bolts. What I did was get a bunch of wobble extensions, and go in from the trans tunnel to get to it. Make sure you still have a few bolts in the bottom of the bellhousing so the trans doesn't just drop on you.

Also Supraguy, if he removed all of the pressure plate bolts the pressure plate is no longer bolted to the engine and this will make it so you do not have to remove the clutch fork. It is much more of a pain in the ass to do tho, but if you are pulling the trans out while in the car, you have to do it this way, because the trans will not clear the pressure plate or the trans tunnel if you just take the clutch fork out.

AbsoluteSpeed

Aug 8, 2007
Edmonton AB
The starter bolts are the biggest pain.
If you need more room loosen (but do not remove) the motor mounts and tilt the motor back. You may also need to disconnect the downpipe because it will start to bind.

deazndude

Aug 29, 2011
Orlando
I've got the fork out and the starter out also, i believe it is the bolt above the starter. What is the best way to get to that bolt while under the vehicle? And yes i'm removing it while it's still in the car.

Sep 19, 2011
Des Moines, IA
hvyman;1909981 said:
Lower the trans and use a 14mm swivel socket.

This, and hopefully you have a bunch of wobble extensions to put the swivel socket on. Loosen the motor mounts as mentioned above, remove downpipe from engine if you have not already, and lower the trans to get the engine to tilt backwards to make it easier to access the bolts.

Insidious Surmiser

Formerly 89jdm7m
May 12, 2006
Oceanfront
yeah there is a top bolt that can be a serious PITA... I was using so many extensions I was wrenching from where the rear diff. is

also very hard, if not impossible to see

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
89jdm7m;1910019 said:
yeah there is a top bolt that can be a serious PITA... I was using so many extensions I was wrenching from where the rear diff. is

also very hard, if not impossible to see

Well, of course it's hard to see if you're back behind the differential.
:D

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
If loosening the motor mounts and tilting the motor and transmission down, be careful that the fan blade doesn't puncture the radiator. Also, once you tilt the motor like this, you may be able to then reach in and feel the bolt you still can't see. This helps you guide your socket. You need at least enough extension to get you past the tail of the transmission.