questions on changing head gasket. pls help!

stevexyz

Nov 15, 2011
CA
hi all. i'm gona change the head gasket on my 88 supra na pretty soon. it's the first time i'm doing this. i wana make sure everything will be done correctly. so i'm doing lots prep work now. couple questions so far:

on page EM-55 (installation of cylinder head) of the TSRM, it tells you to put some "seal packing" to two spots at the front end of the block. what exactly is this seal packing? do i have to buy it from toyota dealer? or can i just get some "equivalent" sealant from local auto shop?

also, what do you use to clean the head and block?

thx for any help:)

stevexyz

Nov 15, 2011
CA
bioskyline;1782128 said:
this stuff.
View attachment 53981

can use rtv, but obviosuly this is much better. and yes you get it from the dealer (easiest source)

thx for the info. the nearest dealer is over 15 miles from me. while autozone/kragen/car quest are all only couple blocks away. that's why i'm thinking of getting a substitute for this sealant. driving 30+ miles for just a tube of sealant seems like not really worth it:p

stevexyz

Nov 15, 2011
CA
will permatex ultra black or ultra grey work as a substitute for the seal packing? or what else did you guys use when you changed your head gasket?

stevexyz

Nov 15, 2011
CA
jetjock;1782198 said:
Either will be fine. Just be sure whatever you use is sensor-safe and don't forget to seal the covers with two dabs per EM-56.

thx for reminding me! i've checked. both are sensor safe. almost forgot the four spots from EM-56. so what should i use to clean the head and block?

suprarx7nut

YotaMD.com author
Nov 10, 2006
Arizona
www.supramania.com
Can't remember if I used Ultra Black or "The Right Stuff" on my last one, but it worked fine. Maybe they're the same thing? :dunno: Until just recently I never even had a tube of FIPG.

stevexyz

Nov 15, 2011
CA
suprarx7nut;1782205 said:
Can't remember if I used Ultra Black or "The Right Stuff" on my last one, but it worked fine. Maybe they're the same thing? :dunno: Until just recently I never even had a tube of FIPG.

i've done a little more googling. some say the ultra black and the toyota seal package are the same thing. but i wana try the ultra grey because it seems somewhat better than the ultra black.

IBoughtASupra;1782211 said:
Use FIPG, it's the best stuff. I like it, we use FIPG in the shop on ALL cars from Toyota to Ford.
just any FIPG or must be the toyota one?

AJ'S 88NA;1782247 said:
great. thx!

Crypton2006

Jun 26, 2006
Phoenix Az
I have used the "the right stuff" on several 7M's for the rear timing cover. Its OEM on alot of different makes. Best way to clean the head and block is a mill...But if your not milling for some bad reason, just use alot of acetone and a scraper. Absolutly NO rotary tools like buzz guns!

Supra_dan

Aug 14, 2011
north carolina
Okay, so instead of creating a whole new thread, i'd rather threadjack this a little bit ;) haha

but my question is regarding the cleaning of the engine block, and the head itself. A lot of people are recommending acetone, now will any brand be okay? As in can i go to Lowe's Home Improvement and pick up their canister of acetone?

And lastly, can brake cleaner be used as a substitute, I've used it to clean my motorcycle chain/sprockets, and I've seen it do wonders. ( i would of course lube it with chain lube after, just used the brake cleaner to clean the metal from the gunk)

Thank you guys

JSeaman

SM Official Expert: Guide Author
SM Expert
May 26, 2009
Derbyshire, UK
If you're talking about the outside of the engine then at the end of the day you've got chunks of metal covered in dirt, use what you like but just clean it off later. Petrol, carb cleaner, gunk etc

Backlash2032

Sep 20, 2010
Nebraska
JSeaman;1782967 said:
If you're talking about the outside of the engine then at the end of the day you've got chunks of metal covered in dirt, use what you like but just clean it off later. Petrol, carb cleaner, gunk etc

I assume hes talking about the mating surfaces. Ive always wondered how to get all the gasket material off without it falling into the oil and coolant galleys..

JSeaman

SM Official Expert: Guide Author
SM Expert
May 26, 2009
Derbyshire, UK
Plug them where possible and blow them out with compressed air, pipe cleaners etc otherwise. It's always easier if the head and block are completely disassembled because you can clean it properly