questions about overheating

1TuffSupra

Sho' Nuff
Jul 11, 2005
Raleigh, North Carolina, United States
Ok I searched but couldnt really find exactly what im looking for. After swapping out another hose that busted on the car Im still having overheating problems. Im pretty sure that its not the headgasket, there isnt any oil in the coolant and no coolant in the oil plus the car isnt smoking whatsoever. Plus I changed it when i did the swap. But the car keeps loosing coolant. I drive the car for about 10 min and the coolant starts spilling out the overflow bottle and the heat goes in and out. None of the hoses are leaking, all the clamps are tight, the radiator cap seems to be holding pressure. I plan on replacing the thermostat and the radiator cap tommorrow, but is there anything else I should check? With all the leaks that Ive had with hoses busting left and right since the motor swap, should I have the cooling system flushed anyway? Im open to any suggestions. TIA

Reign_Maker

Has cheezberger
Aug 31, 2005
Florida
On your over flow bottle, do you have the filler hose on the correct nipple? When I bought my first supra, I was driving it, and it over heated and when I popped the hood, coolant was pouring out of the over flow, and when I took off the cap, someone, for some reason, switched the hose, so when coolant was coming in, it was being pushed out...

aznwaterboy

Swap never finished
Feb 5, 2006
Bay Area, California
you might have air bubbles in your system, try burping your system. run your car without radiator cap, and heater on at max, for a few mins and then you should see air bubbles come out of the radiator, fill with coolant as necessary. is your thermostat working correctly too?

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
It is rare, but the impeller on the water pump could have seperated from the pulley.

If your thermostat sticks closed, you will have very little coolant flow, and overheat also.

Reign_Maker

Has cheezberger
Aug 31, 2005
Florida
Oh yeah, burp it... Make sure you have the front of the car higher, general rule is to have your radiator cap higher than the back of the motor..

CBLEGUY

Organic90T "Growin Roots"
Nov 24, 2006
Cape Coral, Florida
Ok.. I just went through this myself. if you search, you will see many threads a this particular topic. My best advise is to go through you coolant system with a fine tooth comb so to speak.

1. thermostat
2. fan clutch
3. aux fan sensors (are the fans coming on?)
4. burp system (steep angle make sure heater is on full blast)
5. repeat 1-4..

these cars are very sensitive to cooling, and any one of these, and then some can cause this problem. The problem just gets worse and worse the longer you run it without fixing...

1TuffSupra

Sho' Nuff
Jul 11, 2005
Raleigh, North Carolina, United States
ok, thanks a lot guys. I will get it done asap! Just wont be today though, its snowing out there and i dont feel like being in it. You guys basically confirmed what I had been thinking anyway. I also see that autozone has a 160* thermostat any of you guys try using that one?

aznwaterboy

Swap never finished
Feb 5, 2006
Bay Area, California
i use the 180 degree one because i thought higher is better, but its not. doesn't really matter i guess, the thermostats will open at the degree setting so i guess 160 is better if you want a cooler running car

Josh21040

Dec 23, 2006
Columbia SC
my car is having the same problem coolant coming out of overflow, and the fan clutch was deffinitely bad. I changed it, but its still doing the same thing. I'm going to change the waterpump too. Could that be whats wrong?

lagged

1991 1JZ
Mar 30, 2005
new rochelle
pressure test the cooling system.

check to see that it holds ~15-17 psi (our system calls for a .9 bar rad cap which is something like 13.4psi?)

if it doesn't, find the leak.

if it does hold the pressure, release the pressure and now let the car warm up with the pressure tester attached. let the car warm up and rev the engine. make sure that the pressure does not exceed .9 bar by much. if it goes much above that and jumps up rapidly you might have combustion gasses pushing into the cooling system.

that equates to either a blown headgasket or cracked head/block.

Josh21040

Dec 23, 2006
Columbia SC
I changed the water pump and burped the system. I drove it around for alot longer than it took before to overheat and the car ran fine. I am going to find out tommorrow if it is still blowing coolant out of the overflow. The car was doing that before and it wasnt overheating.

bondie

Pisshead
Aug 26, 2005
UK
check your waterpump . . . it should look like this:

p505609_1.jpg

one i removed lately looked like this:

p505609_2.jpg

Reign_Maker

Has cheezberger
Aug 31, 2005
Florida
HighPSI: 500? huh? Whaaa?

Bondie: HOLY SHIT! I've seen some worn out water pumps, but DAMN! *shakes head* damn!

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
My car had the same issues, and it turned out my radiator was clogged. I pulled my drain plug on it, and it resembled a small piss stream. If your coolant doesn't drain pretty good, have that radiator checked or replaced.

Supraboy89

Oct 25, 2006
Hampton GA
yea i agree with forcedtorque check the radiator for cold spots. I had a overheating prob with my supra. it puzzled me for the longest time until i finally pulled the radiator and checked it