Question on shaving the head.

icey756

Oct 12, 2011
Wisconsin
I bought my supra in June with a BHG and a friend and I replaced the gasket. We used a stock gasket with ARP head bolts and torqued it down to 70 fp. We took my head in to get shaved before hand obviously and the guy that did the shaving said he basically took off the maximum he could. This winter I am thinking about putting in a metal head gasket. Will I have to shave the head again? If i have to get it shaved will i just end up getting a new head if the guy already took off as much as he could? And do i have to get the block shaved too? I've read some things where people say they do shave the block and some saying they dont. The reason we went with a stock gasket to begin with was because we werent sure about the block.

Quin

Trans killer
Dec 5, 2006
Columbus, IN
Depends how much he actually took off, but you're probably okay. It doesn't take much of a cut to resurface something, as little as five thou could be enough. You do need to deck the block as well if you're planning on putting a MHG on it.

Btw, SIP sells head gaskets up to 3MM, so I wouldn't worry about it too much. Stock HG is 1.37MM, add up how much you've cut off the head to how much you took off the block and add that to the 1.37MM to find out how big of a gasket you need for stock compression. You can adjust it up and down a bit for a little more or a little less compression.

icey756

Oct 12, 2011
Wisconsin
He told me that he had to take off as much as he was allowed. I guess he has some sort of reference book Thats able to tell him the maximum he can shave off. Damn. I really didnt want to have to pull the block out. I dont have the equipment to do that.

Quin

Trans killer
Dec 5, 2006
Columbus, IN
Ask your car buddies if they've got one. If none of you have one, head to Harbor Freight and split the price. They're not too expensive.

Did the head gasket blow already or what? I'd just rock the stocker until it becomes a problem. You can make a pretty decent amount of power on them, and it's not like they magically blow or anything. If you did a decent job it can last forever.

icey756

Oct 12, 2011
Wisconsin
Man i love it when people say something is a concern and dont explain. Helps me out a lot. I originally bought the car with a BHG. It's still running now, I just figured cause its winter it would be a good time to do a MHG. How much horse power and boost can i run on a stocker? Do u know off hand?

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
No need to get huffy. My statement should be self explanatory. The torque is wrong. ARP lists their torque specs.

As far as how much boost will a Stock HG w/ARP's torqued at proper spec hold...no one can really say as every car is different. That's a good combination to run if one can't have resurfacing done for an MHG; but, it comes down to the tune at that point.