Question for you auto guys

bluemkiii

redmkiii's little brother
Jul 25, 2007
phoenix, AZ
So right now I have a 90 turbo auto thats currently down for an upgrade(1jz:evil2:), anyways I was looking at the auto shifter and man I thought that was the ugliest shifter ever:aigo: , So my question is have any of you guys changed out your shifter to something different? Let see some pics if you did change it out. Also here is a link from SF, I was thinking about doing mine like this one, http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=433475 lmk what you guys think.

suprabad

Coitus Non Circum
Jul 12, 2005
Down Like A Clown Charley Brown
I've got a non-stock setup.

I changed the ugly shift knob (I hate it too) to a billet unit that I had to machine out so it would fit on the selector shaft and shorten, it originally looked a bit phallic (I wasn't comfortable with that).

Most notably I moved the overdrive lockout switch to the steering wheel, so now I can down shift to third by just hitting a soft push button on-off switch.

I purposely never mention it because I am the only one I know that has this mod and wanted to keep it for myself, but it's a great idea (if I do say so myself) that works beautifully, so I guess it's time to share the idea.

I like the shifter on the red MKIV better than the one I currently have. I also like the way he used the shift boot from a stick to cover the gear indicator. Who needs to see that thing anyway!

bluemkiii

redmkiii's little brother
Jul 25, 2007
phoenix, AZ
suprabad said:
I've got a non-stock setup.

I changed the ugly shift knob (I hate it too) to a billet unit that I had to machine out so it would fit on the selector shaft and shorten, it originally looked a bit phallic (I wasn't comfortable with that).

Most notably I moved the overdrive lockout switch to the steering wheel, so now I can down shift to third by just hitting a soft push button on-off switch.

I purposely never mention it because I am the only one I know that has this mod and wanted to keep it for myself, but it's a great idea (if I do say so myself) that works beautifully, so I guess it's time to share the idea.

I like the shifter on the red MKIV better than the one I currently have. I also like the way he used the shift boot from a stick to cover the gear indicator. Who needs to see that thing anyway!

Got any pics? If you don't mind me asking.

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
I think a B&M mega shifter would be cool, but then again i like the stock sleeper look. I love it when people walk up to my car and go "Oh, its an auto".

suprabad

Coitus Non Circum
Jul 12, 2005
nosechunks said:
I think a B&M mega shifter would be cool, but then again i like the stock sleeper look. I love it when people walk up to my car and go "Oh, its an auto".

Funny you should mention that 'cause I've been kicking around the idea of trying to modify a B&M shifter to fit. I don't know if anyone has done it (I doubt it) but it would look killer.

As far as it being "an auto", I live in L.A. and a 5 spd is a torture mechanism out here. Also, set-up correctly auto is a good thing.

Most of your die hard stick shift guys who poo-poo an auto trans would get eaten alive by a car with a properly set-up auto. Not every one can shift like Grumpy Jenkins despite what they might tell themselves.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
seen a B&M in a supra before, but it didn't have a dash in it... (drag car)

I'm die hard manual because I like the extra control I have of the vehicle. I know an auto will eat me from a standing stop, I can get the jump on em from a roll usually though...

TurboStreetCar

Formerly Nosechunks
Feb 25, 2006
Long Island, Ny
Poodles said:
seen a B&M in a supra before, but it didn't have a dash in it... (drag car)

I'm die hard manual because I like the extra control I have of the vehicle. I know an auto will eat me from a standing stop, I can get the jump on em from a roll usually though...

i can down shift and brake boost with the added effect of the converter, witch means i can effectively "dump my clutch" anytime i want with full boost on tap. he he he.....:evil2:

Sometimes a manual trans might be a little more fun, but i love my auto. Convenience and performance in a 300lb package bolted to the back of my engine. :biglaugh: easier on the thrust washers during startup too.

Extra control? Supra Stick will take care of that :biglaugh:

</ball-breaking>

I think a nasty pistol grip shifter would look sweet. like this one.

http://store.summitracing.com/partd...925134+4294839069+4294822068+115&autoview=sku

Last edited:

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
I can downshift and be gone before your tranny can react

I've done it MANY times, and I can also brake boost...

thrust washers? well, you can always bypass the clutch safety switch or be smart and never go near an RPS clutch...

suprabad

Coitus Non Circum
Jul 12, 2005
Poodles said:
I can downshift and be gone before your tranny can react

I've done it MANY times, and I can also brake boost...

thrust washers? well, you can always bypass the clutch safety switch or be smart and never go near an RPS clutch...

You must mean a stock auto trans.

I've got Kevlar clutches, higher stall, shimmed accumulators, high-output pump and a 4.30 lsd, and I can honestly tell you there is no perceptible reaction time between shift lever movement and gear change.

If I only had a trans brake! Gotta go turbo-hydro for that.

Sounds like poodles knows how to proficiently operate a manual transmission, lots of guys (despite what they think) don't.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
it comes with driving slow vhicles (82' toyota hilux 4x4 on 31's, and a geo metro 3 cylinder).

if you want to pass, you HAVE to use momentum and know how to shift. I love listening to people talk about chirping second gear when I could chirp 3rd if I wanted to... The only thing I've haven't been able to do is heel/toe...

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
and it doesn't loose boost between shifts.

two stock cars, the manual is generally faster with a good driver because of less drivetrain loss and the slow as reaction time of the auto to make up it's mind to downshift...

I'm not a manual nutswinger, I just enjoy the experience a lot more.

Oct 11, 2005
Thousand Oaks, CA
Wish we could get one of these bolted to the 7M. The VW/AUdi Direct Shift Gearbox (DSG) (S-Tronic) shift gears nearly instantly at 8ms.

The DSG gearbox is currently the quickest shifting automated manual gearbox out there. Here is a table with shift time comparions between the DSG and a few of it’s competitor gearboxes.

Volkswagen DSG (Golf GTI) 8 ms
BMW SMG II (M3 E46) 80 ms
Ferrari F1 (Maserati 4200GT) 80 ms
Ferrari F1 (360 F1) 150 ms
Ferrari F1 (Enzo) 150 ms
Ferrari F1 (575M) 220 ms
BMW SMG (M3 E36) 220 ms
Aston Martin Vanquish 250 ms
BMW SSG (3-series) 250ms (150ms for 1st to 2nd)
Alfa Selespeed (156 Selespeed) 700 ms

suprabad

Coitus Non Circum
Jul 12, 2005
3p141592654 said:
Wish we could get one of these bolted to the 7M. The VW/AUdi Direct Shift Gearbox (DSG) (S-Tronic) shift gears nearly instantly at 8ms.

The DSG gearbox is currently the quickest shifting automated manual gearbox out there. Here is a table with shift time comparions between the DSG and a few of it&#8217;s competitor gearboxes.

As long as we're "wishing"...I've always wanted a paddle shifter set-up. I guess I'd also need a automatic/manual switchable valvebody which I guess would also require an updated ECT.

If someone had a tried and true set-up, I'd do it, but me thinks there's too much experimenting involved to do this on a one-off basis.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Update: I found photos of a Hurst shifter installed from a car at TX2K7, but photobucket is being gay and is down right now...

I'll post em tommorow