question about compression with probe pistons

a_sesshoumaru

Suprita
Jan 7, 2007
El Salvador
i checked my compressions two days ago and they all were 135psi, i have an almost virgen cylinder head and block, maybe 4 thousands were removed in total, i have probe pistons and a hks 1.5mm head gasket, i remember before puting the probe pistons that the dish was deeper than stock, am i right? i know i dont have worn rings or bad cylinder walls cause my engine was fully build like 5 or 6 months ago and no smoking, consuming oil, or water, everything normal, should i raise the compression to 160psi? i was thinking i could remove the middle steal layer in a gasket i have for spare and just put the two thin layes, would this be correct? Thanks

Mr. Y

Mar 31, 2005
80 miles away from Kremlin
I don't see reason to worry... Your compression is equal, don't stir engine to work!

Are you sure compression test has performed right? Charged battery, opened throttle, warm engine etc...

PS: Probes AFAIK get slightly lower CR to your engine.

a_sesshoumaru

Suprita
Jan 7, 2007
El Salvador
yea i did it the right ways just the warm part i am not sure, i went from my house to my friends workshop like 10 minutes away, i left the car cold for about 30 minutes and then we decided we should check the compression of my car, the engine still felt hot with our hands, but maybe it wasn`t enogth, lavor for me is free, just wondering if i should raise the compression and if i could use the head gasket the way i said?

zachm611

Beauty In Disguise
Apr 15, 2006
new mexico
turn up the boooost lol jk now im starting to be curious since i have probe pistons as well and have not got my engine rebuilt yet. keep us updated!

Adjuster

Supramania Contributor
It will be slightly lazy down low, but you can run more boost with the lower static CR.

I would not tear into a good running motor just to find a few points of static CR on a turbo engine.

Seriously, just run higher boost when you want more power, and enjoy the low loads on the engine the rest of the time. ;)

a_sesshoumaru

Suprita
Jan 7, 2007
El Salvador
Adjuster;1062055 said:
It will be slightly lazy down low, but you can run more boost with the lower static CR.

I would not tear into a good running motor just to find a few points of static CR on a turbo engine.

Seriously, just run higher boost when you want more power, and enjoy the low loads on the engine the rest of the time. ;)
very convincing, anyone else? do i leave it that way? i just worried because the tsrm says the compressions should not be below 130psi, i am affraid i am almost there with good parts.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Ok just checking as it's the only thing I can think of that would drop Comp across the board like that.

143 is very low, I see 160 here with JE's and a 2mm HKS which put me at 8.26:1.

a_sesshoumaru

Suprita
Jan 7, 2007
El Salvador
IJ.;1062117 said:
Ok just checking as it's the only thing I can think of that would drop Comp across the board like that.

143 is very low, I see 160 here with JE's and a 2mm HKS which put me at 8.26:1.

Should i try to take the middle layer out of the head gasket? just leave the two thin ones?

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
NO!

I'm with the guys on this it's even across the board I'd retest it with another tester to be sure and leave it alone!

If the 2nd tester reads the same just crank some timing in and some boost and enjoy.