Question about a plugged up Line

DigityD'87

Feb 27, 2008
Portsmouth, NH
So i just swapped a motor into my 88T and happened to notice a red plug on what i believe is a vaccum line. Every thing did and still seems to be running fine but the plug started to melt out of the tube. Can anyone tell me if it belongs there or should it be connected to something?

sm_photo_missing.jpg
[/IMG]

thx,
dave

mkiii222

Mar 31, 2005
Troy, MI
Looks like the PCV tube to me (follow it back around and it should go to the valve covers). Check and see if there's a plugged port on the accordian (intake tube).

You should be able to get some hose from Autozone/Pep Boys... that will work for $3.

DigityD'87

Feb 27, 2008
Portsmouth, NH
It does actually loop into my cam covers and it loops behind the 3000 pipe and into the intake right near the throttle body. And my car has never overheated... i've watched that temp gauge from the start. Here is a better pic of the line so there is no confusion. I haven't driven it at all really since the engine swap because it leaks a full quart of oil every 20 miles or so...yeh!:3d_frown:

sm_photo_missing.jpg
[/IMG]

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
I was gonna mention that. Clip off a little bit of it, so you don't have so much hose to make that turn. You want a curve, not a kink.

So you just swapped in this motor that is leaking a quart every 20 miles? Where is that oil going? Did you not see any evidence of this leak before the install? Maybe you should give us a full engine bay shot. There may be more we can help with.

I was kidding with my last post BTW

MKIIINA

Destroyer of Turbos
Mar 30, 2005
Plano, TX
mkiii222;1099124 said:
Looks like the PCV tube to me (follow it back around and it should go to the valve covers). Check and see if there's a plugged port on the accordian (intake tube).

You should be able to get some hose from Autozone/Pep Boys... that will work for $3.

good call as thats what i was thinking it was too. that might be part of the problem with your leaking oil. that hose is meant to vent the valve covers into the accordion hose. with it plugged up like that you run the risk of too much pressure and pushing out seals. get it vented to the accordion hose or to a catch can and see if that helps with the oil leak issue. fix that bov hose also...

DigityD'87

Feb 27, 2008
Portsmouth, NH
ForcedTorque;1099888 said:
I was gonna mention that. Clip off a little bit of it, so you don't have so much hose to make that turn. You want a curve, not a kink.

So you just swapped in this motor that is leaking a quart every 20 miles? Where is that oil going? Did you not see any evidence of this leak before the install? Maybe you should give us a full engine bay shot. There may be more we can help with.

I was kidding with my last post BTW

The Bov hose was one of the very first things I noticed (thats an old picture). It leaks oil like a bastard Right out the back side of the cam cover. I figured, as soon as I learned that the plugged line was the PCV, that it was causing my oil to shoot out. And my accordian tube was hacked by the last guy who worked on it and sheet metal screwed back together which eliminated the stock bung for the PCV line, so needless to say it's not sealed right and is sucking in a little unfiltered air. I got a new accordian tube and a set of cam cover gaskets on the way.

Thx for the help guys!

Here is some pics.

sm_photo_missing.jpg
[/IMG]

The Jimmy-rigged accordian, lol!

sm_photo_missing.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
um, yeah...

Get a better picture of the air filter area for me. Have a feeling he shortened the accordian because he did a hack job air filter...

Who

Supramania Contributor
DigityD'87;1100183 said:
so needless to say it's not sealed right and is sucking in a little unfiltered air.

See my accordion hose. Count them 1,2,3 hoses. Your missing hose and connector circled in red. Wow what a rig. Good luck I'm sure you will run into more surprises.

Sucking unfiltered air should be rewritten as "sucking un-metered air" Sucking that un-metered air will make you car run lean. As I understand it Lean is bad when it comes to our cars. Correct me if I'm wrong senior members.

Attachments

• P1010002.jpg
    P1010002.jpg
    178.3 KB · Views: 10

DigityD'87

Feb 27, 2008
Portsmouth, NH
Your not at all wrong about that. I'm very familiar with lean and rich terminology and surprisingly didn't even think about it like that...thank you.

MA70_Powa

Boost Addict
Jun 17, 2007
Tasmania
sorry to hijack a bit, but would it be bad if that gooped up hose he has is vented with a breather air filter stuck on it? as that's what mine is currently set up as....

Cheers!