quad tip exhaust possible?

quim mk3

Apr 18, 2008
Minnesota
I don’t know exactly what board this fit on so I thought I would try general discussions. Call me crazy, but I am a fan of the symmetrical look. I have wanted to put a quad tip exhaust onto my 91 supra, but the gas tank seems to get in the way of a dual set-up. I haven’t really found a supra that made the conversion. If someone has I would love to talk to you to know what you did. If it is completely impossible, I would like to know that as well. I was thinking that I might have to buy a smaller gas tank to be fitted, and than custom design everything to fit around the gas tank… just a thought

disturbed1

Jan 10, 2006
perth
what stop at four when u could have 6??

WAYNOFX-2.jpg

KicknAsphlt

Occasional Peruser
My Pseudo-Aunt (don't ask me to explain...lol) has/had an 88 turbo that she put these god-awful dual quad-tips on....I was like, WHYYYY????? Also had some aftermarket rims on that I wasn't thrilled about, but weren't too bad. Poor car looked like a Cholo-mobile....drop-suspension, funky-ass rims, and the dual quad-tips....*sigh*

gaboonviper85

Supramania Contributor
Jan 13, 2008
Northeast Philly
suprabad;1121225 said:
4 doesn't divide evenly into 6...

A six cylinder with 4 exhaust tips? I dunno. You may want to give that some more thought.

yes it does....3 cylinders dumped into a chamber with two exits.....x2.....doesnt matter how many cylinders you have....aslong as it flows evenly which really isnt gonna happen with any exhaust that has a muffler anyway....

its a dumb idea but if made right it shouldnt harm performance.

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
47770761_11348bba04.jpg

"I could get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a cow's ass, but I'd rather take the butcher's word...."

:biglaugh:
Just wanted to use that line....

Anyway-
Quad tip, possible? Yes.
Mess up performance? No.
Look good? Questionable.
Pain-in-the-butt? Definately.

The easier way would be to install a second dual tip on the right side, that's not attatched at all to the exhaust.
Honestly. You wouldn't have to mess with heat shielding for the fuel tank, replumbing around the tank, replacement to a smaller tank,
and you'd get the same exact perfomance boost without the hassle. AKA- none.

quim mk3

Apr 18, 2008
Minnesota
Haha i love Tommy Boy. I figured it would be a huge pain in the ass. I kept saying to myself, "If I f up the project and don't account for all the variables (such as the amount of heat, where i am bolting/welding parts, etc...) i could kill myself. hahaha. I like the alternative, but if i am spending money on parts i want them to work... How exactly would you set the exhaust to fit around the gas tank than? i am not seeing any space, so would i still have to get a smaller gas tank to fit an exhaust even if it isn't doing anything? And thanks everyone for the advice.opinions, and NO i dont think i am going to try more than a quad tip. hahaha

supraguy@aol;1121288 said:
47770761_11348bba04.jpg

"I could get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a cow's ass, but I'd rather take the butcher's word...."

:biglaugh:
Just wanted to use that line....

Anyway-
Quad tip, possible? Yes.
Mess up performance? No.
Look good? Questionable.
Pain-in-the-butt? Definately.

The easier way would be to install a second dual tip on the right side, that's not attatched at all to the exhaust.
Honestly. You wouldn't have to mess with heat shielding for the fuel tank, replumbing around the tank, replacement to a smaller tank,
and you'd get the same exact perfomance boost without the hassle. AKA- none.

gurley0916

Gurley=Last Name not girl
Mar 10, 2008
Columbus,OH
suprabad;1121225 said:
4 doesn't divide evenly into 6...

A six cylinder with 4 exhaust tips? I dunno. You may want to give that some more thought.

the e46 M3 does it just fine and it sounds awesome :love::love: Besides when you boost the whole displacement thought is thrown away.:naughty:

eman2289

Noob..but not incompetent
Feb 23, 2007
Jersey
I doubt there will be any way to do it and have it functional while keeping the stock gas tank. If you go to a fuel cell, it should be no problem. I have a pic of my car with the gas tank out of it. Ill post it up once im out of class and on my computer.

Edit: Its not as clear as i thought it was, but it may help you.
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Last edited:

quim mk3

Apr 18, 2008
Minnesota
eman2289;1121492 said:
I doubt there will be any way to do it and have it functional while keeping the stock gas tank. If you go to a fuel cell, it should be no problem. I have a pic of my car with the gas tank out of it. Ill post it up once im out of class and on my computer.

i dont know much about fuel cells, so i will research that one out. Yea i think i am just going to have to get a smaller gas tank or one fitted or conformed to allow me to get the second exhuast system around it, which wont bother me. Well at least until i start installing everything.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
quim mk3;1124869 said:
i dont know much about fuel cells, so i will research that one out. Yea i think i am just going to have to get a smaller gas tank or one fitted or conformed to allow me to get the second exhuast system around it, which wont bother me. Well at least until i start installing everything.

You should think carefully about that as a fuel cell is nothing to sneeze at. Requires lots of work, and quadruple checking what you did because afterall, that is a very volatile liquid in thier that should be treated with caution. :)

Also keep in mind that you want to make sure that you have adequate insulation on BOTH side of the tank to keep the heat from evaporating to much of the gasoline.

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
uncorkedsupra;1124902 said:
I have quad tip exhaust on my supra with the stock gas tank, and its functional...so it can be done.

let see

last person that I saw had one... was Lam. And his was just their.

I think ONE other person did it but they had to re-engineer the entire fuel system in the back to get to work, at the end of the day. It did not gain performance. Added more weight to the already Morbidly Obese, Supra and perhaps got a couple of "something don't look right on that car" look. ;)

In the end. To each their own!

quim mk3

Apr 18, 2008
Minnesota
figgie;1124914 said:
let see

last person that I saw had one... was Lam. And his was just their.

I think ONE other person did it but they had to re-engineer the entire fuel system in the back to get to work, at the end of the day. It did not gain performance. Added more weight to the already Morbidly Obese, Supra and perhaps got a couple of "something don't look right on that car" look. ;)

In the end. To each their own!

well my mood has changed trastically since the start of this post. ha. Maybe i don't want to do all this work. I looked up the whole fuel cell stuff. Ya, F that, i am not going to mess around with that just yet.

KMinAF

Old Man
Sep 15, 2006
American Fork, UT
What if you were to use a 3" in dual 2 1/2" out (Magnaflow) installed at mid point then you could run 2 1/2" pipe to each side ending in a twin pipe chrome tip

figgie

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Twin Cities, Minnesot-ah
KMinAF;1126461 said:
What if you were to use a 3" in dual 2 1/2" out (Magnaflow) installed at mid point then you could run 2 1/2" pipe to each side ending in a twin pipe chrome tip

There is room on the passenger side of the gas tank to perhaps fit a Mcdonald's straw as a muffler and that is it. Anything else requires the gas tank go buhbye.

Keros

Canadian Bacon
Mar 16, 2007
Calgary
I don't have any idea what you use your car for... but for me, it's a no brainer: anything that decreases the amount of fuel I can carry is BAD.

Out in rural alberta, saskatchewan, and the other prairie provinces, distances between towns are measured in hours, and rural towns often only have 87 octane, 89 is a luxury and 91 is unheard of. Carrying enough fuel to go +300km becomes essential in order to make it to the next gas station.

If you don't leave the city, that's fine. But effective range is something anyone thinking of modding thier gas tank, should think of. The MkIII without a doubt is a great highway car, and the highway is where it is in its element. Amount of fuel of required octane onboard becomes the determining factor of where the car can go... if you need 94 octane just to leave idle, getting out of the city any good distance isn't easy; atleast in canada: very few places carry anything more than 91. I think most major Chevrons carry 92 or 94. My supra will always be limited by the fact that it has to be able to run on 91, otherwise its no good to me.

I'd sheepishly say I'm glad you changed your mind on this quim :p