Q & A: MAFT Pro + 7M-GE - POST ALL QUESTIONS, COMMENTS AND PROBLEMS HERE!

CRE

7M-GE + MAFT Pro + T = :D
Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
cuel;1055431 said:
Nope (sigh), not yet. You should be hearing from me in a few weeks, though...

I see you didn't get the memo... AJ's 88 will be handling all N/A MAFT Pro questions and tech support from now on. You really didn't get the memo? Damn that secretary!

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
CRE;1055447 said:
I see you didn't get the memo... AJ's 88 will be handling all N/A MAFT Pro questions and tech support from now on. You really didn't get the memo? Damn that secretary!
Yeah.... right. I didn't get the memo either.

I needed some time to gather all my "bullshit". You know "if you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit", or some thing along those lines. But I need some time anyway:)

CRE

Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
AJ'S 88NA;1055458 said:
Yeah.... right. I didn't get the memo either.

Bah!!! The "help" here is positively worthless!!! I'll fire the whole lot! Damned worthless peasants...

AJ'S 88NA;1055458 said:
"if you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit"

And amazingly enough, no one's called me on it yet. :naughty:

CRE

Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
I've been thinking about changing my tune here soon. (no pun intended) This is for a N/A, not for a Turbo or N/A-T. You'd want to run richer than listed below if you're running a forced induction setup.

I need to figure out the source of a certain fueling issue on warm starts (if it's still happening) when I run without the stock O2 sensor. Then I thought I try the following:

Base tune
Low load - 15.7 to 16.1 AFR
Mid load - 14.9 to 15.3 AFR
High load - 13.7 to 14.1 AFR

PTT
Cruise set to ~15.5
Lean set to ~16.3

WOT Tracking will be adjusted per RPM from 13.3 to 12.7.

The reason for the leaner base tunes is that i do a LOT of city driving. In most cases when you're driving around town the throttle position changes too much and too often for the MAFT Pro's throttle tracking to find and maintain a preset AFR... it stops and you find yourself running at whatever you had tuned for before enabling PTT.

Any comments, questions or suggestions (from anyone with some knowledge about this)?

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
I've notice the same problem on warm starts myself. But I don't have a stock 0-2 just the WB. So it may not just be a problem with the stock 0-2.

benchwarmer

Straight Cougar
Aug 2, 2007
Lancaster, CA
I haven't noticed the car running rich on warm starts. Actually, except for a couple lean spots I'm gradually tuning out I haven't had any problems so far. I wired my wideband differently than shown in your diagram, though.

I connected the purple wire from the ten pin on the MAFT Pro to the same ground as the LC-1. The wideband output I connected to the orange wire on the ten pin, the narrow band output I connected to OX at the ECU. I run around 15.1 AFR in the mid range and between 13.5 and 14.2 under high load.

CRE

Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
AJ'S 88NA;1064846 said:
I've notice the same problem on warm starts myself. But I don't have a stock 0-2 just the WB. So it may not just be a problem with the stock 0-2.

I've only noticed the issue with the stock O2 sensor disconnected. This is why I had mentioned the possible need to ground the stock O2 sensor's wire on the TCCS.

Benchwarmer, you might not be seeing the issue in your AFR. Sometimes my MAFT Pro was able to pull enough fuel to make up for it. I always saw it though when I looked at Vf.

I'll post more later, I'm heading out and I'm running late.

CRE

Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
After meeting up with a couple of you today I feel I need to repeat something I've said a number of times previously. The MAFT Pro isn't going to give you "mad powaahhh" all by itself. A good tune of any sort will give you more power and a less restrictive intake will give you better throttle response and you should see the car pull better at higher RPM due to the fact that the biggest bottle neck is gone.

The MAFT Pro is not going to turn your car into a turbo charged equivalent.

There are improvements, but generally you don't notice until you're running against another stock N/A.

I have raced and beaten cars that I still don't think I should have.. not by a mile. I don't know if they just ran out of gear or didn't want to push things as hard as I was willing or if I actually had more top end power than they did... there's a reason I don't post these things here because there are too many unknowns and I don't want anyone to go buy one of these thinking it'll make their car a monster.

CRE

Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
AJ, try grounding the OX (stock O2 sensor) wire and see if the warm start issue goes away. Also, let me know if it sets any error codes. It's possible that the absence of the O2 sensor is causing the issue. Otherwise the only thing I could really think of doing would be a small circuit so the ECU always thinks the car is starting cold by starting with a resistor intercepting the coolant temp signal and then once the car is running a relay would switch the signal back to the actual sensor.

I have verified that if I use a resistor to make the ECU think it's a cold start that the richness thing doesn't happen.

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
CRE;1065209 said:
AJ, try grounding the OX (stock O2 sensor) wire and see if the warm start issue goes away. Also, let me know if it sets any error codes. It's possible that the absence of the O2 sensor is causing the issue. Otherwise the only thing I could really think of doing would be a small circuit so the ECU always thinks the car is starting cold by starting with a resistor intercepting the coolant temp signal and then once the car is running a relay would switch the signal back to the actual sensor.

I have verified that if I use a resistor to make the ECU think it's a cold start that the richness thing doesn't happen.
OK I'll try that CRE and see what it does. I know it's one of the things we talked about before, not really a big issue as. I think it ought to give me at least another 50 hp;)

CRE

Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
Well, you know for me the wicked power increases come from the 6 boxes of mothballs added per tank and the GoodYear *Racing* power steering belt. I mean WOW.

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
Well you know I live in Tennessee, my "go go" juice of choice is moonshine not only runs like a "bat out of hell" you can get a pretty good buzz off the exhaust:)

CRE

Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
Okay, progress....

In a week (possibly 2 or 3, as two unexpected projects have been dropped on me this weekend) I'll be posting up some new wiring diagrams. Whether they'll be independent of the main diagrams of included in one all encompassing diagram remains to be determined.

The new diagram should cover: Enhanced TPS, timing control and the effective prevention of diagnostic codes in the ECU. Those of you who have installed the MAFT Pro using previous diagrams will need to make some changes.

CRE

Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
The following link has the information on how to prevent THA related error codes. The details will be included in the updated wiring diagram.

http://supra.fadingworld.com/Electrical/MAFT%20Pro/MAFTwriteup/MAFT Pro and Codes.html

The information on that site concerning prepower the MAFT Pro to prevent other codes is not up yet. For those of you who are electronics savvy, I'm running power to both my MAFT Pro and my LC-1 via a fused 10 gauge wire running from the battery. This is switched by a relay which is thrown by both an ACC powered circuit (I think I used the Cig. circuit) and +B of the ECU's harness. These need to be isolated with a diode (1N4001 or 1N4002 should be fine, I'm running 2 1N4002s).

Last edited:

CRE

Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
Heh, well, half of the new arrangement is on it's way to your mail box. ;)

You're going to be so screwed when I finally get some sense and sell this money pit and swear these cars off.... I'm thinking 10 speed after this.

AJ'S 88NA

Jul 26, 2007
Florida
CRE;1096514 said:
Heh, well, half of the new arrangement is on it's way to your mail box. ;)

You're going to be so screwed when I finally get some sense and sell this money pit and swear these cars off.... I'm thinking 10 speed after this.
Thank you sir :)

Yeah probably, we need to get this thing dialed in so I can dyno again, maybe that will get you thinking twice again:biglaugh:

I want something a little more simple, a 3 speed if they still make them.

CRE

Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
I'm in the process of putting together a lot of updated information and building a number of new (hopefully easier to follow) wiring diagrams. You may find that previously posted information is missing from my threads..

My diagrams will hence forth be viewable HERE.

The address is also in my signature should you need to locate it in the future.

I've recently added information on preventing error codes.