Putting 7MGTE Exhaust On 7MGE?

Rob_Supra87

87NAPWR
Aug 3, 2008
Millbrae
So basically, I'm going turbo in a couple months but don't want to bother with the 3 inch exhaust right now just because I don't want it to loud *basically I live in a neighborhood of retired people who complain about everything to loud* but I don't feel like dropping 250 for a 2.5 inch exhaust system since that will be useless when I go turbo, what about getting the stock 7mgte exhaust? will it be quieter?I honestly just feel like changing up the sound a bit just for fun so yeah just wondering plus I bet it will be a bit cheaper considering people in my area part out there stock turbo supra's every other day haha, yes or no?

CRE

7M-GE + MAFT Pro + T = :D
Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
As long as there are no leaks and the baffling inside the muffler and resonator are intact then yes, the stock system will be quieter than 99% of what you'll find aftermarket.

Rob_Supra87

87NAPWR
Aug 3, 2008
Millbrae
oh ok cool thanks, so i looked and couldnt find this so just wondering, what is the diameter of the stock 7mgte piping, also the new piping will make it sound a bit nicer correct?

CRE

Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
Nicer? Define "nicer".... it's entirely relative. Personally, I never noticed much of a difference. The GTE's exhaust is only .25" larger in diameter... not a huge difference in the end. It might make it a little louder, but that's about it where sound is concerned.

Ma70.Ent

Supramania Contributor
Feb 26, 2006
NJ
It will be a little louder (as reported from one person who has done this) and you'll barely notice any performance increase. If you're not getting the "7MGTE" exhaust for free, you're wasting your time and money. Use the stock exhaust or wait until you're turbo.

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
unless it's free, it's not worth it to buy a 7MGTE exhaust...

go 3 inch with a removable silencer, once you go turbo, remove it, as the turbo actually quiets down the exhaust a bit..

Rob_Supra87

87NAPWR
Aug 3, 2008
Millbrae
will i notice a decrease in performance with a 3 inch? Also for the silencer, i never looked into those much lol is it something i can just take off and put on whenever i want? I honestly want my exhaust to sound like this one guys iv seen who has a 3 inch, he has 3 inch piping, a hks hiflow exhaust and magnaflow resonator, so i can put a silences on that if it gets too loud?

CRE

Oct 24, 2005
Denver, CO
I don't know of any Magnaflow radiators which come with a silencer... it's the kind of thing which I've only ever seen included with coffee can style mufflers. It might be possible to find an exhaust tip which comes with one... never seen one though.

3" by itself will be stupid loud... it's fine on turbo cars as the turbo muffles a very good amount of the sound... on a N/A I think they're way too loud, raspy (to the point of just sounding like a Honda), and then there's the wonderful drone in the 2000RPM range. But, do a search, a few people (myself included) have posted sound clips and what is music to one person is garbage to another.

Ma70.Ent

Supramania Contributor
Feb 26, 2006
NJ
Rob_Supra87;1410330 said:
will i notice a decrease in performance with a 3 inch? Also for the silencer, i never looked into those much lol is it something i can just take off and put on whenever i want? I honestly want my exhaust to sound like this one guys iv seen who has a 3 inch, he has 3 inch piping, a hks hiflow exhaust and magnaflow resonator, so i can put a silences on that if it gets too loud?

You should try reading the N/A Upgrade FAQ.

Rob_Supra87

87NAPWR
Aug 3, 2008
Millbrae
I did but they were saying how the dyno might not be true because he only dynoed it once apparently witht he 3 inch so the numbers will always be difference so Im seeing if anyone actually drove with a 3 inch compared to a 2.5 inch and if a difference is felt lol

Ma70.Ent

Supramania Contributor
Feb 26, 2006
NJ
Rob_Supra87;1410572 said:
I did but they were saying how the dyno might not be true because he only dynoed it once apparently witht he 3 inch so the numbers will always be difference so Im seeing if anyone actually drove with a 3 inch compared to a 2.5 inch and if a difference is felt lol

Iam sure the only difference you will truly notice is the loudness of the car.

Boosted833

Jan 22, 2008
Coconut Creek
With refference to N/A 7M's....2.5 inch piping would sound more raspy depending on the muffer you use. Feeling wise it should feel more peepy down low and continue on up throughout most of the rpm range. With 3inch piping it will bellow deeper and sound more bold. Your downlow will suffer alittle not too much, but once u reach up top you'll feel a real nice pull ( I normally felt it from 4000rpm onwards). I had 1 resonator and 3inch piping from the stock exhaust manifold down with an HKS HiPower muffler (3inch inlet and 4inch tip). I got an exhaust video clip if you wanna hear how it sounds.

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
the pull you feel at 4k rpms is from the ACIS system Toyota uses on several of it's engines, including the 7MGE, it's a valve in the intake manifold that opens up/closes depending on the RPMs..

RazoE

Boobs/Boost, my favorite
Jun 13, 2006
Los Angeles
www.cafepress.com
Yeah forgot to mention that. If you feel the pull, its due to a non functioning ACIS system, as a properly working system should provide a seamless transition at 4k...

Island_Yota

Aug 5, 2008
Vancouver Island
I went from stock 7MGE exhaust to a 2.5" Pacesetter. Its definitely noticeable, stock I could cruise a mountain pass that I drive probably 2x a week in 5th gear without lugging the motor, with the 2.5" I have to downshift to 4th on the steeper sections if im below 2500rpm in 5th. Id rather have the low end power over the 5000-6500rpm power increase. Its annoying for daily driving, feel like I have to rev out the motor too much, id honestly put my stock exhaust back on if it wasnt so rusty.

Last edited: