push starting?

jrot

Apr 11, 2010
knob noster, MO
im having trouble with the click and no start from time to time....ive got a new starter arriving today but wont have cash or time to swap it out till later this weekend....so in the mean time is it a terrible idea to push start these cars? or is it even possible because of the clutch/nuetral safety switch?

my89supra

Nov 21, 2010
new jersey
there may just be a loose connection with a wire on the starter, its usually the smallest one... it was the cuase of my car not starting a lot of the time... what you should do is check the wires and make sure that they are snug b4 u go installing the new starter... make sure ur not spending money on something that you dont need right now...

frankindank

Sep 4, 2009
Vancouver, WA
yeah when you know the battery is a little drained or something
i just put in second and when i get fast enough drop the clutch and
give a tiny bit of gas, has worked evertime for me but it could be luck!

Scott 88-1JZ

Dec 9, 2007
California
I push started my supra for quite a while when my starter was going out. I usually did it in first or reverse. I would park on hills just so I wouldn't have to push. Put the key in the ON position, push the clutch in and roll the car. Once you get some speed let the clutch out. If you get good enough at it, you can get the car to start with out any jerking.

I am not sure what JJ means by "It may not start easily when cold unless the clutch switch is made and the key held to start at the same time."

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
I had starter issues a while back too. If the car is completely cold and you're actually push starting it on a flat surface, yes, it can be difficult. The biggest problem is the car weighs slightly less than an aircraft carrier ;)

mk3tattoos

Apr 12, 2008
Bremerton, Wa
back when i had to push start my 87 due to the starter dieing, it ran like crap for 10min.

and i think the engine light came on for one second....

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
Scott 88-1JZ;1647121 said:
I am not sure what JJ means by "It may not start easily when cold unless the clutch switch is made and the key held to start at the same time."

Cold start injector doesn't fire unless the ECU gets the start signal... which doesn't happen (or at least isn't acknowledged) unless the clutch switch is working as well.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Had to do it one time in the dirt because of a frozen starter. Pain in the ass. At least we had a fork lift to do all the work. Took a few trys tho.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Scott 88-1JZ;1647121 said:
I am not sure what JJ means...

As Colin pointed out the CSI can't operate unless the key is at the start position. Nor will fuel priming and ECU starting enrichment using the main injectors occur. All those things depend on the starting circuit in some fashion.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Assuming the push start was done for other than a dead battery it would be less stressful in the electrical sense than a normal start. I suppose an argument could be made it isn't good for the belt/bearings but then again an argument could be made that push starting stresses the entire engine and drive-train.

With a dead battery it's a different story. In fact the car shouldn't even be jump started under that condition. That said it's usually more harmful to the battery than alternator. Course, the battery being deep discharged in the first place has already shortened its life.

Thinking back I was never forced to push start. Doesn't mean I didn't for other reasons, just that I never had to. I took great pains to make sure my car always started and those efforts paid off.

jrot

Apr 11, 2010
knob noster, MO
well thanx for all the help guys lots of good info here....i would hope to not have to but in time of need and the dreaded click no start at the worst possible times i was just curious if the car would even do it...and it sounds like it will although maybe not the best idea....thanx again.

Chaingun

Nov 4, 2010
Mooreland OK
It'll definately do it, cold start injector or no, thanks to my girlfriend not closing her door fully, my battery was dead this morning, one quick push start later and she was running again just fine