pulling motor

againstdawall06

Dec 8, 2005
mo
ok so i finally got a cherry picker and engine stand so i can pull my motor. i just wanted some words of advice on what would make it easier on me. so from what iv gathered from reading the TSRM is you remove 1. exhaust 2. ground straps 3. remove all the sensors and move harnest out of the way. 4. remove the bolts that connect the tranny to engine. 5. unbolt the flywheel from the clutch through the inspection cover. 6. unbolt the engine mounts. 7. take of the power steering pump and the ac pump. and i think thats it. now the cherry picker i got doesnt use chains..which is the only one i know how to use. it has straps, like the tie down material. do i just rap that around the engine or what? thanks for any help.

lagged

1991 1JZ
Mar 30, 2005
new rochelle
if youre not working in a shop, pull the motor with the tranny together. its much easier.

lets see from back to front, remove:
drive shaft
shifter
unplug ECU wire harness, push through firewall*
tranny mount
clutch slave
disconnect fuel lines
remove downpipe
remove IC pipe to fender
remove lower IC pipe from turbo to IC
remove radiator

you can unbolt the AC compressor and power steering compressor and leave in the engine bay still hooked up (you minimize spills and loss of refrigerant)

unbolt motor mounts and i think thats about it

*either unplug harness from ecu and pull with engine, or unplug everything from the motor and leave the harness in the engine bay

oh, dont forget the leads from the battery to the starter and unplug where the harness plugs into the igniter and everything else over there (diag block comes with the harness)

thats off the top of my head so of course double check everything.

Clip

The Magnificent Seven
Oct 16, 2005
Virginia
i wouldnt pull it with straps alone, get a load leveler and a small length of chain just to be safe

againstdawall06

Dec 8, 2005
mo
thanks for the replies. i really didnt trust the straps either....but what is a load leveler?

and i already undid all the lil sensors........o well.

jester1341

topless and blown
Mar 30, 2005
Western Maryland
you guys pull the harness out of the engine bay?? so the only part of it connected to the "car" is where it goes thru the firewall to connect to the ECU??

thanks for the heads up i would have disconnected it all....this will make cleaning the engine bay easier....but i will still probably disconnect all the connections as some need replaced and i will be cleaning everything

john

lagged

1991 1JZ
Mar 30, 2005
new rochelle
againstdawall06 said:
thanks for the replies. i really didnt trust the straps either....but what is a load leveler?

and i already undid all the lil sensors........o well.

not really needed if you pull the engine alone, and you also dont need it for pulling the engine with the tranny. when installing the engine with the tranny a load leveler is great.

other wise, you have to lift the motor+tranny at a crazy angle when installing it back into the car.

miggles

i wasnt speeding officer
Jun 3, 2005
perth West Australia
I had a mate used to use seatbelts to lift motors, he tied knots around the hangers where you normaly put chains. I guess you can say its like using a sling instead of chains, Just without the extra stiching and the max kg rating and swl loadtesting.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Load Leveller: Best invention known to man and a must for safely/easily pulling a 7M with trans!

MM020110900C.jpg

mkiiSupraMan18

Needs a new username...
Apr 1, 2005
United States
^ I disagee, our load leveler thing sucked hairy MDC nuts...

Just put the wicked angle on it, jack the back of the car as high as you can and stand on the cown panel thing and push the trans down w/ your foot. I've been doing it this way for years and haven't had any probs.

*I did it this way on my 82 and never scratched the paint. :icon_bigg

But pulling the engine/trans as well as pulling the engine harness from the firewall is the deff. the way to go.

Suprapowaz!(2)

Apr 10, 2006
San Antonio, Tx.
Here it is mounted to the engine/tranny.

rscf2808yc5.jpg

It's a one man operation. I tried to find the sexiest picture of me.

rscf2828wf0.jpg

BTW: I had the entire car jack up. Lifted and tilted the engine/tranny, then lowered the car. I did it like that because before I hoisted the combo out I was up and under the car disconnecting lines and hoses. When I started to pull the engine out slowly either an electrical line or hose was still connected. Once I had the combo up that high, and everything was disconnected I then slowly lowered the car.

Last edited: