Pulled Over for "Stunting"

Suitcase Jefferson

Sep 28, 2010
Canada, eh?
www.furstatic.com
So I was downtown in my small town to go pick up a parcel from the Courier's office.

Let me start by saying that the weather here has been below zero for a few months. (I live in Northern Alberta, Canada) - so we have quite a lot of snow. (And ice!)

I was at a 4-way stop - and after waiting the required time, I began to make my turn towards the office. My tire caught a bit of ice and my back-end fish-tailed very slightly - but it was all very slow and controllable, and there was nobody around...

...Except for a police officer down the street who RACED toward me and waved me to the side of the street.

This young fella with spiky hair approaches me and says, "You do realize stunting tickets are $600."

Fighting every urge to be cocky (Gee, that's good information to know. Good thing I wasn't stunting then, eh idiot?) I replied, "There's a foot of snow on the ground and glare-ice on that corner. Even taking it at a crawl still spins the tires. I'm rear-wheel-drive in this vehicle."

He told me to "watch the power" and he drove off. I'm not sure why he pulled me over - he did not give me a ticket, nor was there a partner for him to show off to. In my mind, I think he was merely showing his authority as a police officer. (Unfortunately the RCMP in my town have a habit of being power-hungry, I hear).

Yet still, if he wanted to be a jackass he could have ticketed me -- which would have been utterly ridiculous.

I bet he just saw my car and figured, Supra = Stunting.

I guarantee you if I was in my work truck, he wouldn't even of noticed.

/rant

P.S. Even with my $1000 set of Kumho snow tires it's still quite easy to spin in loose snow.

SRA

Oct 11, 2010
Eglin Afb, FL
good thing you didnt get a ticket even do you weren't doing anything, good thing here in florida it doesnt snow. nice and sunny 70% of the time.

steveo

Dec 15, 2008
Alberta
Where in Alberta are you? I am down in Edmonton and we got that big snowstorm last night my friend almost got a "stunting" ticket last night as well.

Canuckrz

Jan 13, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
Let them give you the ticket, take them to court, let them get egg on their face. Thats the only way to put douchebags like that in their place.

Also iirc isnt "stunting" in Canada considered being 60 or 70 over the posted limit and not a specific act like that? Something like that if someone were doing that on purpose would be considered reckless endangerment and not stunting I beleive. Seems more and more these days that the police are generalizing things into what they have a prejudice against rather than whats actually against the law.

CT26smoker

Banned
May 25, 2010
Houston
Got pulled over last year leaving my subdivision.
Same thing, back end of the car slid sideways because of a little too much (or just about right) throttle application.
The cop asked why I was leaving the area so fast, and out of control.
Keep in mind, that this is in Texas, mid-summer.......
I told him that I had just put the new engine in, and wasn't really use to all the extra power yet.
He let me go :)

Bleakvoid

Wide-------------bodied
Oct 7, 2010
Fairfield, CA
I did get a ticket like that, back when my truck had a bunch of ladders and a rack on it. Rainy intersection, foot slipped off the clutch, did a 360, got back on the throttle and went the way I was going to. Cop pulled me over a block away and berated me for 5 minutes before trying to arrest me for reckless endangerment. Ended up giving me a ticket for reckless driving, which the judge laughed at in court, especially after hearing the audio recording from the officer's car. Case got thrown out and the officer got 5 days unpaid leave for being a jackass.

Owned? I think so.

87M-GTE

Slow
Sep 12, 2007
Milwaukee WI
joe_300.jpg

You should have told him its too cold to ''stunt''

I hate asshole cops, I got ticketed for some BS awhile back.. Still pissed about that.

Sam

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Ya i was expecting a bike in this story.

Also snow tires in snow will give out. Snow tires in hot weather or rainy weather might not. Theres also size & compound to be factored in. 500 for snow tires doesnt exhactly mean good tires. Looks more like cheap to me.