PS3 Launch in under 2 months

Furball

Yes, I play Halo
Apr 2, 2005
Merced, CA
Hey, I'm just saying, by the time the PS3 is starting to hit its stride the 360 will be deep into its second generation of games and will have been crusing at a nice stride for a while. If Sony can pull it off, and put out games that look far superior to Microsoft's than good for them, but I don't think it will be as easy as they make it seem.

Last edited:

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
Yes, it is! 1080P native support really shoots Sony down in the one real thing they might have argued they had.

Very few people I know, are actually WANTING blu-ray!

SupraOfDoom

Starcraft II ^^;;
Mar 30, 2005
Milwaukee, WI
www.cardomain.com
Who wouldn't want blue ray over DVD.. and PS3 comes out of the box with all the goodies...

By the time your 360 has all the "specail bonus' that PS3 has it will end up being more then $600

I would type more but I'm tired.

Furball

Yes, I play Halo
Apr 2, 2005
Merced, CA
SupraOfDoom said:
Who wouldn't want blue ray over DVD.. and PS3 comes out of the box with all the goodies...

By the time your 360 has all the "specail bonus' that PS3 has it will end up being more then $600

I would type more but I'm tired.

In reality, the people who want HD-DVD. As of right now HD-DVD is better than Blue Ray due to better encoding on the disc. In the future this may change, but for now HD-DVD wins out.

With the HD-DVD add on the 360 will be $600 dollars for the premium and $500 for the core, but that is only if the add on is chosen.

I myself am not quite ready to jump into the HD movie market until a true winner is pronounced. Things are way too uncertain at the moment. If Blue Ray wins out maybe I'll buy a PS3, if it's HD-DVD I can go out and pick up an add on easily. IMHO DVD-9 is just fine for games at the moment.

SupraOfDoom

Starcraft II ^^;;
Mar 30, 2005
Milwaukee, WI
www.cardomain.com
It's just the Xbox 360 people never seem to mention the point in the PS3 vs Xbox 360 war, that the HD-DVD addon, and other things to match the PS3 will cost them a pretty penny, then they still bash the PS3's price. I don't think many will even buy the add on personally, because people like yourself are satasified with what you got, because it is an ok format.

So in terms of PS3's with blue ray sold, vs Xbox 360's with the HD add-on I'm damn near positive it will not even come close to selling as many as the blue ray PS3., which might actually be the winning factor in who wins the war, HD-DVD or Blue-RAy.. because honestly I don't think people are ready to jump on either player by itself just yet, at least not many.

I have a question though, in theory you could have a player that played both right???

SupraOfDoom

Starcraft II ^^;;
Mar 30, 2005
Milwaukee, WI
www.cardomain.com
Retailers are retarded and have nothing to do with what sells. But its more a matter of whats going to be available anyway... I perdict the same thing, and PS3 probably won't be able to meet the demands for holiday season.

And that site sucks.

Furball

Yes, I play Halo
Apr 2, 2005
Merced, CA
SupraOfDoom said:
It's just the Xbox 360 people never seem to mention the point in the PS3 vs Xbox 360 war, that the HD-DVD addon, and other things to match the PS3 will cost them a pretty penny, then they still bash the PS3's price. I don't think many will even buy the add on personally, because people like yourself are satasified with what you got, because it is an ok format.

So in terms of PS3's with blue ray sold, vs Xbox 360's with the HD add-on I'm damn near positive it will not even come close to selling as many as the blue ray PS3., which might actually be the winning factor in who wins the war, HD-DVD or Blue-RAy.. because honestly I don't think people are ready to jump on either player by itself just yet, at least not many.

I have a question though, in theory you could have a player that played both right???

Technically yes, you probably could have a player that played both, except it probably won't ever happen. That would be like Sony and Microsoft making a PSXbox. It would play games for both consoles, but would that ever happen? I don't think so.

I might get the HD-DVD add on. I got my 360 in December 05, so it's been a while and it feels more like I would be buying a $200 HD-DVD player than a $600 Xbox 360.

swaq

posts++;
May 24, 2005
Oregon -> Arizona
www.SwaqValley.com
MKIII N00b said:
so wheres the link?

Sorry, I figured it'd be easy to find. The one I found was low res so I didn't really want to link to that one. Hmmm *searches again*

Google Videos: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6928221524061217382
YouTube version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qa31qWPcUI4
IGN version (the one I watched): http://media.ps3.ign.com/media/826/826843/vids_1.html

Screen shots: http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/rpg/finalfantasy13/screenindex.html

The screen shots are a lot higher res than the trailer video so you get a better idea of the quality of the in-game graphics with those, I think.

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
Yes, Premium Xbox + HD-DVD = $600.

Difference is, you get the CHOICE if you want the HD-DVD addon.

Blu-ray is slower than HD-DVD, not to mention the diode problems currently plaguing Blu-Ray.

Truth is, the difference in movie quality is MINIMAL between the two - and BARELY any better than standard DVD (it is not the same as VHS vs DVD, not by a long shot.)

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
SupraOfDoom said:
dvd vs vhs is night and day!

Like I said though, Blue-Ray will probably outsell Microsofts HD-DVD's most people probably wont even buy the add on... I think thats going to be very important.

Exactly what I said. DVD vs VHS was night and day difference!

DVD vs HD-DVD vs Blu-Ray is more like 12:15pm vs 2:45pm. :)

Doward

Banned
Jan 11, 2006
Alachua, FL
SupraOfDoom said:
Like I said though, Blue-Ray will probably outsell Microsofts HD-DVD's most people probably wont even buy the add on... I think thats going to be very important.

What do you mean Microsoft's HD-DVD? There are a lot of manufacturers behind it.

Also, I'll pose this - I asked a couple of people around school, and a few customers which they thought was better - Blu-Ray or HD-DVD

Standard response 'well, HD-DVD is High Definition, and that's supposed to be good. What's Blu-ray?'

Average Joe Consumer there. HDTV + HD-DVD = win. (that will be the standard marketing scheme)