project built 7m - do it right the first time

zachm611

Beauty In Disguise
Apr 15, 2006
new mexico
THE STORY of how i got my supra...skip towards the bottom for the actual build.

Well i finally got around to making a build thread. first of all my car looks like a beater...I dont even have a stereo lol..the engine comes first for my car :] i bought it maybe 2 years ago for 1200 non running. my original intentions were to take the engine and swap it into my toyota pickup, after having the car in the garage not running i look at it every day and i start to feel a love for the car thinking hmmm i kinda like this car.

Thank God i learned how to use the search function, it solved my no spark issue, which was a broken cps wire, i ended up hardwiring it and started up first try but ran like garbage. looked around and noticed injector #6 was not plugged in. plugged it in and instantly purred like a kitten. Took it out for a spin and it hauled ass until almost instantly the check engine light came on. drove home and once again learned the magic of search. code 52...knock sensors, removed the entire intake and everything just to get to them...i mustve messed up the TPS because when i put it all back together the idle had a mind of its own going from 1k-3k that is when i discovered the wonderful Cygnus site. got the idle settled and took it out for a spin...spooled up and bam check engine light... wtf im thinking, check codes and code 52 again. search saved me again and found how to rewire the KS (now that i knew where the knock sensors were i didnt have to remove everything lol). took it out cruising and yay no more limp mode!

Now another problem arose, took it on the highway and did my first wot run...car starts shaking violently at 55+ cant find anything wrong with the car and then i had a hunch...and sure enough my passenger front tire was a lot smaller then all the other tires. changed the tire and it solved that problem..the bigger problem arose..took it out on the highway again and now my temp gauge almost instantly shoots up i shut off and pull over and have my dad tow me home. did every little thing i can think of and figured it must be the HG..it was showing signs that it was getting ready to go so i figured this must be it....WRONG! took it out and could feel it was more responsive atleast but still over heated...last thing left was the radiator..ordered a new one and cooling problems were resolved...

Finally on to the first build part(sorry story still continuing)...the car had around 254XXX miles atleast thats what the title to the car says.. I wanted to start modding so i decided to tear it down for a rebuild and here we are.

First i knew i needed a MHG and arp head studs so i ordered those also arp rod bolts and had them installed and rods reconditioned as well as the crank cut. Then i stumbled upon the GB for the probe pistons and got those too so i take the block back to the machine shop to be honed.. and they charge me for 16 cylinders i bring it up and they just avoid me like the plague so im like whatever. also had my block decked there as well as the head..get everything back and start reassembling.

I am very disappointed with the quality of the work and start to take the engine appart..(surfaces were not smooth enough for MLS gasket). so i found a new shop here with a really good rep. i have them check out everything from the other shady ass machine shop and the block was decked the max it could be decked so basically it was garbage for me (or so i thought..more on this later) also the crank was not evenly cut some of the clearances were off by more then .010" (no wonder my plastigage clearances were off on some) luckily i have several other 7ms in the back yard and bring another crank in and i am amazed with the quality of work. also i could actually see myself in the head i was very happy with this but still disappointed in the block..then they say something i never thought about...they decked my pistons to be even with the block surface (dont worry everything is being balanced). also the block turned out amazing as well, very satisfied with the new shop.

NOW THE REAL BUILD PART

Parts List:
gotta get this outta the way i will be sportin the stock ct26 for a while
MLS Gasket (still waiting on machine shop to decide thickness)
Arp Head studs
DDP
3" test pipe
RSR GTII exhaust
FFIM built by sethron71 with csi/isc flanges i wasnt sure how serious i was going to get with the build so i thought i would retain them. (turned out awesome thanks again Seth!)
80mm CNCed TB (from Seth as well)
24"x9"x3" intercooler, should be plenty good enough for now
2.5" hard pipes
HKS style Bov
SS full length clutch hose (thanks DM)
SS Jtube bypass hose (Thanks again DM)
Aeromotive AFPR
Walbro FP
Rebuilt head with comp cams BBC springs
BC stage 2 cams
Titan cam gears
5 angle radius intake valve job and a 2 angle radius exhaust valve job.
CBN resurfaced head and block...now the machine shop said they just got in a Polycrystalline Diamond tip and are going to resurface my head again for free. only removing .001" so thats cool with me :]
New Oil Pump
New Water Pump
Probe pistons
Eagle rods (decided this during engine rebuild down time)
Clevite 77 bearings
ATI Dampened Crank Pulley as well as a new crank pulley bolt
w58 transmission (i was previously auto and scored a great deal ($400) on a n/a parts car with all the components i needed) i plan on going r154 eventually when this one blows or when i find one. i really wanted a 5 speed.
New clutch slave and master cylinder
Spec stage 3 clutch
Fidanza AL Flywheel (I guess the stock flywheel i bought off ebay was for R154...figured couldnt hurt to upgrade :D )
Completely balanced rotating assembly..
MAFT pro with speed density and the LC-1 XD-16 wide band kit

Just ordered: 5Zigen FNOR1-C rims Gloss Black machined lip
Front Wheel Size:17x8 +35
Rear Wheel Size: 17x10 +35

BFG Gforce super sport a/s tires
Front Tire Size: 245/45/17
Rear Tire Size: 275/40/17

Pics will come sooner or later, sorry if this build thread sucks... ive never made one before. also would like to apologize for my horrible grammar skills. This is all for now im getting tired, im sure i missed a few parts but as i remember i'll add them.

Last edited:

zachm611

Beauty In Disguise
Apr 15, 2006
new mexico
here are some pics of the first build up before tear down for better quality machine work.

View of the block on a stand. painted it a low gloss black.
2.jpg

Picture of top of block with probes installed. you cant really see in the picture but the surface was similar to that of a fine file.
4.jpg

With the head on
8.jpg

Here is the $400 parts car
partscar.jpg

Knock Knock? this is a bearing from the parts car
rodb.jpg

Had to cut a window thing into a socket for the retainers to install the comp cams valve springs.
tool.jpg

Some new goodies :]
ffim.jpg

once again im sorry these are old pictures except the ffim etc... from before i tore it down again to have the block and head re-resurfaced. i am now waiting for the balancer to finish balancing everything before i can pick it up to start reassembling. the machine shop says hopefully thursday or friday i will be able to pick it up :]

zachm611

Beauty In Disguise
Apr 15, 2006
new mexico
Got my wheels in today. i apologize for the cell phone pics the batterys for my camera are dead. also i will not have any pics of them on the car until i get my engine back and the car is driving again. but heres a little update :] the machine shop still has not heard anything from the balancer yet. im getting irritated but as long as its good work i can wait.

Delivery!
rims1.jpg

Shot of the wheel
rims3.jpg

Nice and fat :]
rims2.jpg

zachm611

Beauty In Disguise
Apr 15, 2006
new mexico
Thanks! i like them a lot. i cant wait to get this thing running its been almost 8 months.. kept taking to long and i kept upgrading parts. i had no intentions of going forged internals and all until i realized how long it was taking and decided to go ahead and go all out. now just gotta save for a bigger turbo and injectors :[ but first comes paint! car looks like craaap!

zachm611

Beauty In Disguise
Apr 15, 2006
new mexico
HAHA i knew people would like my post count. or the old one. and this car is pretty much going to be used for everything. it has no real plans, just whatever i feel like doing to it i guess. i have another truck i can daily drive incase the supra breaks by me doing something stupid. then it would be time to upgrade! i also have a motorcycle incase the truck is broken too lol.

zachm611

Beauty In Disguise
Apr 15, 2006
new mexico
alright a bit of an update. finally picked everything up from the machine shop. just a few more things to throw on and can start getting it in my car. :]

sportin the DM line here.
eng1.jpg

new top shot of the block after being decked on the CBN...much happier with these results, i cant even feel it with my fingernails :], and pistons being decked as well..all is zero decked perfectly. left them a little down in this pic to get a decent one. (still learning my new camera)
eng2.jpg

Terrible picture i know, but i just wanted to show the mirror finish after being cut with the PCD tip, machine shop decked it again for free after they got the PCD tip :] this picture does not do the work any justice.
head1.jpg

zachm611

Beauty In Disguise
Apr 15, 2006
new mexico
CyFi6;1227758 said:
I hope you had the front timing cover on there when it was decked!:O

oh trust me it was, i just hadnt put it back on yet. i already went through that situation with my previous machine shop you should see how much they decked off the timing cover. i got one off ebay and took both to my new machine shop. everything is perfect :]

zachm611

Beauty In Disguise
Apr 15, 2006
new mexico
hey everyone, sorry i have been rather busy with work and school and i was recently promoted to bay service manager at my job :] go me and my extra 80 cents an hour (better than nothing) lol. well i still have not got the car running yet im waiting on the dowel pins for my block from the machine shop. they ordered a set but the place sent the wrong ones so now i gotta wait even longer :[ oh well it gets dark to fast now anyways. here are some more pictures..everyone likes pictures, right?

well i decided to paint my oil pan yellow. my car will be painted a similar color to this.

oilpan.jpg

here is another shot of the DM line with my dirty motorcycle in the back lol.

eng5.jpg

Painted the block a low gloss black again.

eng3.jpg

I put on a cheap fancy pants block off plate.

eng4.jpg

Apparently I am still learning my camera...no flash :[

eng6.jpg

yay and now we have flash! one last picture on the stand before it goes in.

eng7.jpg

yes it was really dark outside while putting it in..getting excited!

eng8.jpg

putting on the fidanza flywheel and spec clutch.

eng9.jpg

Thats all for now, im still waiting on the dowel pins so i can put the head on. i'll post more pictures when i have time. plans on paint are most likely a sunburst yellow.. going to shoot for a CF hood and possibly CF whale tail if not then a fiberglass one is just as good :]

Spade

7M or DIE Trying
Nov 26, 2007
Asheville
Looking good Do as much research on your project as you can. The more you know the better the end result. Your doing great A+!:flamed: