Problem with HSD coilover

sylquebec

Mar 23, 2008
Quebec
HI, i decided to get the HSD coilover since they were supposed to be the same as stance. And they were easy for me to get them in canada. (got them from a canadian ebay seller , took 2 days to get at my door)

BUT i got a problem with the HSD coilover. it look like the rear coilovers was mount with the wrong black lower part. The sleeve where the shock is mount at the bottom is too large to be put on the supra tabs. The space available is 50mm max( with removing of the metal bushing). The HSD is 55mm. Its impossible to make it works. The front are ok and fit how they should (see pics)
I was reading here that a canadien guy from cambridge was telling that he was not able to put them. People were telling him to remove the metal bushing in the tabs but the guy still complaint that it was impossible. But he did not post pics or measurement of is problem so i did not care about it. Now i realise that the HSD canadian coilover may have a problem. My supra is a 1990. But every supra should have the same suspension specs. So look at the pics and you will see what i'm talking about. I already contact the seller but i want to know what you think about it.

EBAY AD LINK :http://www.ebay.com/itm/90-92-Toyot...Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item45f1fe0077

Waiting for your reply. thanks

Measurement of the rear coilover 55mm
p1785692_1.jpg

Rear and front. you can see the difference
p1785692_2.jpg

How i took measurement of the rear available space. You can see that i did not care of the bushing
p1785692_3.jpg

Front correctly fit
p1785692_4.jpg

Rear Koni that was in place. 48mm
p1785692_5.jpg

AquaX

Sep 5, 2011
Cambridge
I'm in the same boat man! for $1400 suspension this really pisses me off considering the "cheap" megan racings fit.. the whole reason i paid for the hsds is i wanted the best suspension for my supra. Going to get the bushings trimmed, not much else that i can do!

Edit, what year is your supra mine is a 1987 i suppose the auction is rite when they say 90-92 only?

planemos

Apr 22, 2011
Slocan Park, BC, Canada
Ya I would just trim the bushing. Maybe heat it up and/or compress it some and force it into place (ie don't trim off an excessive amount). You will not notice any difference while driving. If you're really serious maybe you could find some replacement bushings like energy suspension or something. But it is really hard to replace shock bushings to be the same as how they come from factory. It's only 2.5mm per side though that you have to trim off.

planemos

Apr 22, 2011
Slocan Park, BC, Canada
Another thought what if the fronts and rears are interchangeable? It looks like it would be easier to pry on the shock for the install on the front to make it fit snug. uhhm oh except probably different spring rates I think.

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
planemos;1785744 said:
Another thought what if the fronts and rears are interchangeable? It looks like it would be easier to pry on the shock for the install on the front to make it fit snug. uhhm oh except probably different spring rates I think.

Rears "should" be heaps longer.

Sep 7, 2009
Cambridge
what is the diameter of the rear sleeve?

option to have a shop press out the old sleeves and re-use them? in place of the HSD sleeve?

these photo's make the issue much clearer... than the previous thead

sylquebec

Mar 23, 2008
Quebec
Update, i bring them to the machine shop. they remove the extra 5mm. it cost me $25. not a big deal.

usdm_anon : Did you put the coilover as they come, the shorter black base in the rear and the longer in the front. Look like if you want to make them fit flush, the rear will only have a couple thread screwed. I dont know if there is something a don't understand or im just stupid.
I try to invert and put the shorter base in the front but that wont fit because of the lock nut beeing in the way of the A arm.
Do you have any info for me or pics...