Powersteering Pump belt

theGOODWIN2012

Supraman
Oct 28, 2012
Long Island, NY
I currently need to just temporarily disable my power steering. I'm just going to take the belt off to do so. But the question I have is this. To save myself the struggle and time.... can I just cut the belt? Since its inexpensive anyway and I would have to do the installation procedure the same either way?

theGOODWIN2012

Supraman
Oct 28, 2012
Long Island, NY
That's EXACTLY why I'm doing it!!! Hahaa. Don't have the money to fix it right now. So easiest remedy is this!
Now I've never driven without power steering. But I'm assuming the most drastic change ill notice will be at low speeds?

7M4EVR

Oct 8, 2012
fah, fah away
Top 10 reasons to temporarily disable my power steering....

10. Arm workout...trying to get swoll brah

9. Steering fluid isn't getting any cheaper

8. It was either that or my power windows and I gotta have my cigs man.

7. I tend to oversteer way to much when drifting

6. Easier to drive with my knees when on the highway

5. That will teach her to take my car again...biatch

4. WWCND-what would Chuck Norris do?

3. I used to walk to school uphill both ways in blizzards wearing a white beater, jeanshorts and a shaved head...power steering is for pussies.

2. It makes my subs louder

1. Gotta big race coming up figure I'd drop bout 1.3 horsepower by cutting the belt, then when I get paid I'll get a new power steering belt and someone will tell me how to install it...

theGOODWIN2012

Supraman
Oct 28, 2012
Long Island, NY
7m4evr;1891749 said:
top 10 reasons to temporarily disable my power steering....

10. Arm workout...trying to get swoll brah

9. Steering fluid isn't getting any cheaper

8. It was either that or my power windows and i gotta have my cigs man.

7. I tend to oversteer way to much when drifting

6. Easier to drive with my knees when on the highway

5. That will teach her to take my car again...biatch

4. Wwcnd-what would chuck norris do?

3. I used to walk to school uphill both ways in blizzards wearing a white beater, jeanshorts and a shaved head...power steering is for pussies.

2. It makes my subs louder

1. Gotta big race coming up figure i'd drop bout 1.3 horsepower by cutting the belt, then when i get paid i'll get a new power steering belt and someone will tell me how to install it...

lolololol best answer

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Well, I will admit the few engine-fire Supras I've seen in junkyards were all caused from the power steering system spewing on the exhaust side of the motor.

But honestly, without depowering the rack correctly, it's going to be very hard to turn the wheel. It will also stress the column.

It's your car, do what you want, but if you can't fix that line, this car isn't for you (honestly it's probably one of the cheaper things to fix, look on rockauto)

theGOODWIN2012

Supraman
Oct 28, 2012
Long Island, NY
Well the thing is that the progressive power steering line is $500~ OEM from NAPA. And while i can just get a non progressive line for about $70, right now its very short term and Im trying to save the pump. I also have yet to see what installing the non PPS line would affect if anything. Right now the only reason I'm running it is so to see/hear/smell anything after working on the car. And driving it around the neighborhood. But i do take your advice into serious consideration seeing you've probably owned/worked on Supras MUUUUCH longer then Ive been even able to drive.

planemos

Apr 22, 2011
Slocan Park, BC, Canada
Are you sure it is the high pressure line? Because mine blew while driving and I pulled over at a mechanic shop. They pulled a GM rubber hose out of the trash and let me replace my hose. It's been good ever since. It was the one that just slips on(no special crimped fittings).

theGOODWIN2012

Supraman
Oct 28, 2012
Long Island, NY
Yes. My mechanic double checked me too. Its actually rusted at one point in the line and is leaking directly on top of my right lower control arm. Though i cant visibly see where the leak is coming from.

edit: If i can somehow get a good photo of the pipe and where its leaking ill post it here.

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Yes that will work.

Rock auto has a oem style hose for 50$.

And napa online shows they have only one that you can order onlin and pick up in store for 80$.

Moy

It's broken...
Aug 6, 2008
Beach Park, IL
the driftmotion line is braided stainless and should not blow out vs the rubber/nylon reinforced OEM style hose. It's also only 65 bucks. the P/S belt from the dealer will be less than 25.

Mrbaboon

Jul 13, 2006
Victoria, BC
theGOODWIN2012;1891892 said:
So the one from driftmoition is the correct length and bolt type? Not sure if that's a dumb question or not.....

I don't think they'd be in business if they labeled it as an upgraded 7M power steering pressure line and it didn't fit. It replaces the stock banjo bolts completely.

Orion ZyGarian

Jeff Lange wannabe
Apr 2, 2005
Sarasota, FLorida
www.suprastore.com
Mrbaboon;1892003 said:
I don't think they'd be in business if they labeled it as an upgraded 7M power steering pressure line and it didn't fit. It replaces the stock banjo bolts completely.
Running an online store is still pretty time intensive and sometimes you make mistakes. You might get distracted when editing the store, or forget you put some info in and it ended up being wrong. I spend all sorts of time just going back and fixing stuff like that.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Yes, the driftmotion line will work, but I'm not a fan of it personally.

As already said, there is no difference between a PPS and normal line.