Power steering rack boots

cwapface

Supernerd
Mar 30, 2005
Eugene, OR
www.dylanwiggins.com
I've had a ripped steering rack boot for the past 2 years, and i'm uh finally ready to fix it :icon_redf One useful tip I've gathered so far is to count the tie rod threads so I can reinstall it exactly the same, but my question is what the boot is supposed to do in the first place. Is it just a dust cover for the steering linkage? Is it supposed to contain grease or other creamy lube filling like a CV joint? Considering 2 years of dirt has gotten in there, is there anything I should do besides a quick cleaning to make sure no problems pop up because of this?

bluepearl

Jul 21, 2005
pa.
There are some things to check. Two years is a long time to not run a boot on you're rack. You can count the turns, but that's not always accurate. Do this job right! If you like you're car and have plans on keeping it here is what I recommend. 1st replace both boots. 2nd Make sure the inner joints are tight and revolve smoothly. This is called articulation effort. ( if they just flop around, they are shot) If any play exists at all,replace. 3rd No matter how careful you are, you're toe setting will not be the same. If there is fluid in the rack housing, the rack seals are leaking, and problems are not far away. Some weepage can be acceptable. At the very least, get the toe setting adjusted, it's probably out of spec anyway. If the inner tie rod ends pass you're inspection, clean and lube the threads so you're alignment tech will love you.

tookwik4u89

Red T-shirt
Apr 6, 2005
Rockford, IL
^^^Agree totally on setting toe/alignment, but I wouldn't reccomend taking other side apart unless needed, just because you may do more harm than good. I needed a torch to get mine apart, try spraying the adjusters and outer tie rod with rust penetrant a day before.

bluepearl

Jul 21, 2005
pa.
You're right, kinda. My way is the anal way. This is why I said that. Just suppose, what if, the rack seal has slowly started to leak on the good boot side? If it was, all this work and money shot to hell. At the very least, peel the large end of the boot back and see if there is any leakage, and check for any looseness. I hate doing stuff twice, this kind of stuff always bit my ass. Have a good one

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
tookwik4u89 said:
^^^Agree totally on setting toe/alignment, but I wouldn't reccomend taking other side apart unless needed, just because you may do more harm than good. I needed a torch to get mine apart, try spraying the adjusters and outer tie rod with rust penetrant a day before.

Meh, just do what I did, replace both boots, as well as both inner and outer tie rods, then you don't need to worry about rusty threads, etc, you just take it all out in one piece, lol.

But, whatever floats your boat ;).

staticpat

Supra Chair!
Mar 30, 2005
Birmingham, AL
tookwik4u89 said:
I needed a torch to get mine apart, try spraying the adjusters and outer tie rod with rust penetrant a day before.

Yeah I removed mine last weekend and the torch was the only solution. I spray painted the old threads to see how far in they were, that way I can get them back in close. I'll still be doing an alignment though.

cwapface

Supernerd
Mar 30, 2005
Eugene, OR
www.dylanwiggins.com
Jeff Lange said:
Meh, just do what I did, replace both boots, as well as both inner and outer tie rods, then you don't need to worry about rusty threads, etc, you just take it all out in one piece, lol.

But, whatever floats your boat ;).

This sounds tempting, and I think I might as well as long as it's all going to be easily accessible. How much of a pain is it to replace inner and outer tie rods? It looks like they just screw in to each other but I can't find a whole lot of info about it.

Brewster

So it goes.
Apr 15, 2005
Morgantown, WV
i'm attempting to remove my outer tie rod ends and i can't get them to separate from the inners. pretty shitty since i just had an alignment done 2 months and 5 miles ago... looks like they attempted to remove them and then just said fuck it.

what kind of play am i looking for with the inner tie rod ends? mine spin and move all around...

my outers are done for though, got the knuckle/hub side disconnected and no wonder it feels so shitty to drive.

ProgectSupraT

GT Driver
Jan 24, 2006
Indiana
Removed mine last weekend too had to cut the tie rod ends in half in order to to remove it, what a difference in handling compared to the old ones. Make sure you get it aligned so you dont get in an accident (it could really happen)w/o alignement.

Brewster

So it goes.
Apr 15, 2005
Morgantown, WV
yeah looks like i'm gonna have to buy new inners because i can't get the outers off...

what tools do you need to get the inners off? the tsrm says sst... i'm curious and can't go check because i'm about to go to work =/

tookwik4u89

Red T-shirt
Apr 6, 2005
Rockford, IL
The sst is a big tube that slides over the rod with a crows foot on the end, you dont need it. You can use a large crescent wrench, or channel locks if you're careful. Pay attention how the lock washer is on the inner tie rod end.

Imagination6788

Oct 6, 2005
Atlanta, GA
So if my driver rack boot had a huge hole in (facing the front of the car) and has a bunch of crap from the road in it, is that bad? I have noticed that once I get over 85 the car steering begins to shake a little, and the steering seems really loose and pulls to the passenger side heavily at all speeds.