Power steering problem

adivale03

Nov 25, 2011
Red Lodge
just trying to find out why i have no power steering while the car is parked, yet i have no problems while the car starts to roll.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
Most commonly that means the plug to your progressive power steering has been disconnected. Or someone has filled your power steering with actual power steering fluid, when it's designed for transmission fluid.

CRsupraiii

Oct 24, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Whoa really? It's designed for tranny fluid? ATF or MT? I'm about to be filling mine up after a swap, more info would me much appreciated!

- Joe
Sent from my iPhone

CRsupraiii

Oct 24, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Hahahahaha! I'm not out at the car, just making a run to the store before I go work... I figured it was ATF it never hurts to double check!!! Thanks!!!

- Joe
Sent from my iPhone

destrux

May 19, 2010
PA
No, it's been superseded by III since the car was built.

My PS works fine with power steering fluid it in. Toyota specs ATF because they already stock it for transmissions, so it eliminates the need to stock a separate fluid at their dealerships. I doubt the fluid type is causing the problem. I think grimjack already hit the nail on the head with the PPS problem.

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
adivale03;1780492 said:
just trying to find out why i have no power steering while the car is parked, yet i have no problems while the car starts to roll.

Try reving the engine. Sounds like the vacuum line under the accordian pipe is messed up somewhere not allowing the idle up to function.

destrux;1780698 said:
No, it's been superseded by III since the car was built.

My PS works fine with power steering fluid it in. Toyota specs ATF because they already stock it for transmissions, so it eliminates the need to stock a separate fluid at their dealerships. I doubt the fluid type is causing the problem. I think grimjack already hit the nail on the head with the PPS problem.

No, that's not the reason. The system is designed for ATF and PS fluid can and will damage it.

Jeff Lange

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 29, 2005
Calgary, Canada
jefflange.ca
I've seen some issues using PS fluid in older Toyotas, and Toyota does spec Dexron II/III for all of their power steering systems to replace the fluid.

As for the original poster, in his profile he says he has a pre-89, so his car would not have PPS. There may be an issue with the valving in the pump/rack if this is the case. I would also be interested to know what kind of fluid is being used.

Jeff

IBoughtASupra

Mar 10, 2009
Queens, NY
On one of my Supras, I used power steering fluid and it was stiff. I changed it out to standard Dexron III ATF fluid and it become nice and soft.

CRsupraiii

Oct 24, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
I already had bought Dex III, just. Curious. Pretty sure it has power steering fluid in it from previous owner... Should be buttery smooth upon revival. Will add my .02 when I get paid. Any problems combining the two? How would I go about flushing? I tried to find in the TSRM but all it addresses is bleeding... I couldn't even find a fluid recommendation (hence my previous query)

- Joe
Sent from my iPhone

Last edited:

adivale03

Nov 25, 2011
Red Lodge
I appreciate you help GrimJack. i'll look for those issues this weekend. Other than that and a new starter motor, the car runs, and feels great.

CBatstone

Burlington, VT &Wolfeboro
Sep 22, 2006
Vermont
www.thirtythree.org
This is great information about using Dextron III for Power Steering, I did not realize that - my steering is very stiff and I have topped off recently with DOT3 PS Fluid and it seemed worse after. Progressive Power Steering is connected, I saw how much more stiff it was with that disconnected after my last engine build.

GrimJack

Administrator
Dec 31, 1969
Richmond, BC, Canada
idriders.com
CRsupraiii;1780929 said:
I already had bought Dex III, just. Curious. Pretty sure it has power steering fluid in it from previous owner... Should be buttery smooth upon revival. Will add my .02 when I get paid. Any problems combining the two? How would I go about flushing? I tried to find in the TSRM but all it addresses is bleeding... I couldn't even find a fluid recommendation (hence my previous query)

- Joe
Sent from my iPhone
My last Supra came with PS fluid instead of transmission fluid... considering the cost of transmission fluid, I just bought a bunch, drained out the PS, filled it with TF, ran it for a bit, drained, filled, ran, drained, filled, ran... I figure after a couple flushes like that, the % of PS should be really damn low.