power steering not working when idling

Northbaysupra

BAY AREA MKIII
Mar 19, 2010
Petaluma
So my power steering does not work when i idle but works when i give it gas. and yes there is oil in the system. Any help would be appreciated

metaphysico

Mad Scientist
Jan 2, 2008
Gainesville, Georgia
The idle up just gives some extra air past the throttle plate giving you increased idle, so that should not affect it really, it just keeps it from bogging when turning at idle. Sounds like. bad pump not getting enough pressure out.

metaphysico

Mad Scientist
Jan 2, 2008
Gainesville, Georgia
^ Didnt think of that yea check that for dirt, bebris, sludge. All the valve does is when you are under load from turning it will let some air bypass the throttle plate increasing idle some. This will not make the power steering not work, if its not working it will just make the cars idle drop some while turning at an idle.

Last edited:

IwantMKIII

WVU MAEngineering
Jun 12, 2007
Perkasie, PA
^if it was the screen then he wouldn't be getting enough fluid. In my experience with that (lack of fluid), which I have run into a lot in the past, its ALWAYS made a distinct humming noise and difficult to steer at lower RPM. But since he is supposedly not hearing anything...

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
IwantMKIII;1604001 said:
^if it was the screen then he wouldn't be getting enough fluid. In my experience with that (lack of fluid), which I have run into a lot in the past, its ALWAYS made a distinct humming noise and difficult to steer at lower RPM. But since he is supposedly not hearing anything...

Won't hurt to actually check it though.... :nono:

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
If he has to increase pump speed, the hydraulic portion is bad. That can be the pump or the rack, but the rack is unlikely based on symptom. The pump clearance is probably bad causing weak flow at lower rpm. More speed increases flow so you get assist.