Power steering line "popped" out, not sure how to fix/where it belongs. Help!

nickwarren

Authorized Idiot
Aug 7, 2013
Nova Scotia, Canada
I was out driving, and during a 3 point turn the engine bay started smoking and I lost power steering. Turns out IMG_0485[1].jpg came loose and spit fluid everywhere. I tried tracing it back, and to my surprise it turns into a black metal pipe and runs down the firewall on the opposite side and then under the chassis to the rear of the car. Fortunately, the cable isn't long so there isn't a lot of places it could go, but unfortunately I have no idea where. I thought that it might attach onto the hole beside the other red line which is connected to the PS rack, but it's a tight fit and doesn't look like it's supposed to attach. IMG_0489[1].jpg

How do I fix this? IMG_0491[1].jpg

nickiec88

May 23, 2010
Marengo, Il
That looks like the fuel evap line. Its supposed to go to the charcoal canister but thats gone. Either tuck it into a hole so the fuel vapors exit the engine bay, cap it off, or reinstall the egr system.

Also that would have nothing to do with the power steering problem.

nickwarren

Authorized Idiot
Aug 7, 2013
Nova Scotia, Canada
So if we're in agreement that that was for the charcoal(makes sense if it runs to the ass of the car), then what would of cause the power steering mishap? The power steering rack obviously still has that hole that I posted in one of the pictures, and I can't find any other loose lines. Any idea where/what/how it should be connected?

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
To my knowledge, the PS system has one possible connection to vacuum. There is a nipple on the bottom of the accordian hose which goes to a valve in the PS rack, then from there to the vacuum plenum under the intake manifold. (Which you appear to be missing. It normally serves the EGR and stock FPR as well as this.) This port is used to allow air to bypass the throttle body and ISCV. (This is the vacuum hose that normally comes across the front timing cover over the harmonic damper.)

This should not cause a malfunction in the PS if it comes loose, it just becomes a small intake leak, which doesn't normally cause noticeable problems, but might allow a tiny amount of unfiltered, unmetered air into the intake manifold. I believe that I capped the port on the vacuum plenum on my '89, since the pipe I installed to feed the big turbo didn't have a place for the fitting for filtered air.

nickwarren

Authorized Idiot
Aug 7, 2013
Nova Scotia, Canada
Dan_Gyoba;1958078 said:
To my knowledge, the PS system has one possible connection to vacuum. There is a nipple on the bottom of the accordian hose which goes to a valve in the PS rack, then from there to the vacuum plenum under the intake manifold. (Which you appear to be missing. It normally serves the EGR and stock FPR as well as this.) This port is used to allow air to bypass the throttle body and ISCV. (This is the vacuum hose that normally comes across the front timing cover over the harmonic damper.)

This should not cause a malfunction in the PS if it comes loose, it just becomes a small intake leak, which doesn't normally cause noticeable problems, but might allow a tiny amount of unfiltered, unmetered air into the intake manifold. I believe that I capped the port on the vacuum plenum on my '89, since the pipe I installed to feed the big turbo didn't have a place for the fitting for filtered air.

Hmmm, thank you, that was very informative. So you're saying that the open end is cause for concern, but not the source of my troubles? What should I cap it with?

I might go to a mechanic to get it fixed.

EDIT: Fuck going to a mechanic, I'm not going to let the PS win. I filled the reservoir with some fluid to see where the leak is, and it is gushing fluid from the hole that I said before. Where does it go?

Last edited:

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
I can't see a hole in the rack in any of the pictures in this thread. The "This one" link that you put up says "invalid attachment"

The power steering system (with or without PPS) has the following connections to the rack:

One pressure input, from the PS pump to the control valve housing. This is where the system pumps fluid into the box. If this is out, then you get no power steering at all.

Two pressure lines from the control valve to the rack body, one on either side of the rack. These lines run outside of the rack, enter into the front of the rack at different points. The valve controls which side gets pressure for the power assist.

One line from the relief port on the control valve which returns fluid back to the reservoir. If this is disconnected, then the reservoir will quickly empty, and you're done.

So, focus on the two pressure lines. If you have PPS, these have banjo bolts going into the right hand side into the control housing, and regular hydraulic fittings into the front of the rack. If memory serves, these are 8mm threads (Maybe 10mm? It's been a long time since I've looked at these, good idea to check.) If you don't have PPS, then these should be a pair of regular hydraulic fittings into the front/top of the control housing, and then the same going into the front of the rack. Suitable replacement lines and fittings should be easily available at most parts stores, and I believe that these are all the same 8mm thread.

Any other opening into the PS fluid system should be plugged.

Scooter7M

Apr 16, 2013
Hopkinsville, KY
theres a vacuum valve on the ps pump itself. it has 2 ports, one goes to the intake for the idle up function and the other to the bottom of the accordion hose.