Possible problem with clutch, feels very loose but still shifts.

InFrnt0fU

Lurking Supra Socialite
Transmission and clutch are completely stock, car is an 1989 with the R154.
Clutch has felt normal until this morning on my drive to work. I looked at the troubleshooting section in the TSRM and none of the problems describe what I'm feeling. The best way I can describe this is there is extremely low resistance until the Release point. It engages and will shift with no problems but I have to go all the way to the floor to shift. I'm at work and can't just go start troubleshooting in the parking lot.

Looking for someone to point me in the right direction so I can get a head start when I leave at noon today. My knowledge of clutch operation is sub par at best.

Thanks
rm.

mkiii222

Mar 31, 2005
Troy, MI
Check the Master and Slave cylinders. They may be on their way out.

If it just started this morning you may want to see if a squirrel chewed the clutch line overnight.

I'd start by bleeding the system (same as bleeding brakes right down to the fluid) and go from there.

InFrnt0fU

Lurking Supra Socialite
Got to pull the car into the shop and had no fluid so I topped it off but it still feels very loose compared to yesterday. Certainly wondering where all the fluid could have gone. I'll check the fluid again when I get home.

mk3sons

Sep 23, 2009
New Hampsire
this may sound weird and wrong but mine does the same thing every know and again, it will completely drain all the fluid. So ill fill it up and it wont leak again for a couple months then i have to repeat. no mechanic knows were it comes from ether.. This is the second car this happens too.

kotu100

Nov 23, 2006
Easton, Ma
im having the same problem right now, except i just replaced my slave and master cylinders, and it doesnt leak anything at all...
bled it and adjusted the master but it always goes back to what the OP described.
im gonna completly drain it, and bleed it, perhaps moisture got in the brake fluid.
in for a solution.

mkiii222

Mar 31, 2005
Troy, MI
I've heard that the Slave is a b% to bleed properly. Mine went without a hitch when I did the DM lines so I don't know for sure. Maybe try bleeding it again using a 1 man bleeder kit?

OP: There aren't many places the fluid can go. Master -> Hard Line -> Flex Line -> Slave.
Something in that equation has to be leaking. Probably not enough to really notice but over time it dried out.