Poor idle quality at warm startup for brief period

suprabee

Celicasupra.com Member
May 18, 2006
Scotts Valley, California
I'm going to use two acronyms in this thread: my car is a 92 Auto 140K hg has been replaced prior to me at some point. Everything is stock except a Bosh blow-of valve (installed 2 years before this problem started), external tranny fluid cooler and fluidyne rad.

PIC = Poor idle condition
GIC = Good idle condition

The Problem Description: PIC at warm start up only and brief lack of power if I start driving during the PIC. This started over 2 years ago and it has basically not changed except for the frequency of occurrence, currently every time at warm start up. Has never occurred when engine is cold and never while I'm driving/stopped at idle. I've driven from cold start-up all day long and the PIC will not happen until engine is off for a short period of time. I've never timed it but I can guess it takes anywhere from 10-20minutes being off, then the PIC will occur upon engine start.
Additionally, it can be as much as 2-3 hours with engine off and PIC will still occur upon start up, even though the engine temp is warm but not at operating temp.

The engine has never stalled during PIC. During PIC, idle will bounce between 500 and 650 for approx 30-45 seconds, then idle quickly increases to @ 900-1000, followed by a gradual decrease in idle to the target of 650, but now in GIC. I can start driving at this point without any lack of power and not see the PIC until another shut down/warm start up.

When in PIC and parked, if I increase idle by opening throttle to... say 1000 rpm, there is still a noticeable mis-fire vibration. If I close throttle at this point the engine will remain in PIC. If I hold the engine above idle, then in about 30-45 seconds (just like when I leave the engine to idle), there will be a noticeable and sudden increase in rpm's (above the 1000 I'm holing it at without me opening the throttle more) AND the rough idling cease. Release throttle at this time, and then GIC at target 650 rpm...and good to drive.

When in PIC and parked and I give the throttle a quick sharp increase to 3000 rpm, (flooring the pedal) engine will leave PIC and enter GIC. Sometime I only need to floor the pedal once, sometimes twice, sometimes three times, but by the third flooring, engine will enter GIC...good to drive.

If I start driving while still in PIC, there is a lack of power and I feel a mis-fire. If I gradually depress the pedal before any turbo boost, car will increase in speed, but not at full power for several seconds, then, suddenly have full power. At this point, if I come to a stop engine is in GIC.

The change from PIC to GIC occurs instantly, like someone turning a switch.

If I start driving in PIC and immediately go to WOT, there is a very brief delay in engine response compared to normal, but then it kicks in and engine is at full power, come to stop, and engine is in GIC. This scenario is the quickest way to stop the PIC compared to other methods/descriptions previously stated.

Here is the history of work I've done on the engine AFTER the problem started. Note: this work was not done specifically for this problem (I have not thrown parts at this problem either), but I had always hoped that it might be resolved while doing other work...it has not.

Intake side:
removed and hot tanked plenum and upper intake runners. I did not remove the lower intake runners from the head, just cleaned them out.
Removed injectors, but did NOT service them.
Removed ISCV, cleaned it, bench tested per TSRM,
cleaned throttle and ports
installed all parts with new gaskets
knock sensor wires: the front wire was almost broken off the connector when I removed the intake, I disassembled the wire clip from the connector, re-striped the wire and soldered it to the metal connector and re-installed into the plastic connector, used shrinking tube to cover the bare wire, and a bit of ultra grey to give some support to the wire and connector together. The rear sensor wire was still well connected, but just had some cracks on the outer wire shielding, so I just added some ultra gray for support and covered the wire with shrink tubing.

Head/engine work:
installed new valve stem seals, valve cover gaskets, plug valley gasket, new plugs.
checked coolant for combustion gases on several occasions- none indicated

Exhaust:
new exhaust manifold gasket, rebuilt turbo,replaced all turbo/exhaust gaskets
Never have any smoke out the exhaust, checked plugs and look normal deposits.

Turbo: insured there are no leaks in the turbo intercooler or hoses/piping

Additionally,
AFM measured within specs (resistance).
Tried a different, newer and cleaner CPS - no effect
Ohm'd the coils packs, plug wires (plug wire are dated 2001 and probably have 40 K on them.
Performed the igniter grounding mod, O2 sensor ground mod, and replaced the ground wire from the coil pack - no effect
checked using my digi-fluke voltmeter the operation of 02 sensor = Good.

what else....have checked over and over, while the engine was apart and back together for vacuum leaks. I don't believe I have any and all of my hoses are replaced and or new. Used propane to hunt for leaks during the PIC to see if idle changes - found nothing Also used soapy water everywhere - non found

If you are going to say the fuel pressure up vsv, it is new and connected correctly. Also, I have on many occasions, jumpered the fuel pump on prior to start up in case pressure was not held - no effect, still PIC, so I don't think I have a fuel related problem. However, i have not check pressure with a gage, but I think with what I've checked and the problem does not indicate a fuel pressure issue.

changed the fuel pressure regulator - no effect.
If I remove the vacuum to the FPR while in PIC, idle increases but still mis-fires. If I pull... say the brake booster hose, idle drops, put some propane at the opening and idle increases.

EGR system functioning normally, and I give the EGR valve a tap with a hammer and stick during PIC thinking maybe its stuck open slightly. -no effect

Removed the ECU temp sensor connector when in PIC and no effect (other than getting the error code for no temp signal). Note: I ended up replacing the sensor anyway with a new oem one, as the connector part broke apart on me, so there is a new senor installed.

Checked the position of the throttle sensor and set to spec. Note: before I turn on ignition, I depress the pedal many times, thinking maybe the potentiometer in the throttle sensor has a bad idle position point (think dirty pot).- no effect

As stated above, cleaned the ISCV, and put in a different smoother working bearing. ISCV clicks when shut down engine. In looking for the ISCV to be related to the problem, I clamped shut the Air hose from ISCV to the hard line over the engine while in PIC. I would expect the idle to drop (as I cut off the main source of air to the engine) and this is what happens. Engine will just about stall while I clamp shut the ISCV hose, then when I release clamp the engine rpm's increase above idle (to be expected because the ISCV has opened trying to allow more air ), then decreases (as ISCV returns to correct position), but engine will still in be in PIC.

Timing is set to 10 BTDC while ECU in error check mode....oh and no codes have ever been thrown due to the PIC.

PIC occurs even when ECU is in diagnostic mode and,

I've checked for bad wiring harness/connectors, but don't think it is that.

I'll be checking the Vf voltage shortly to see what the TCCS is doing while in PIC and post when I have the numbers...

Rick

Last edited:

SupaMan

Want The Boooooossttttttt
Oct 12, 2006
Cape Coral,Florida
Im actually having this same exact problem, It happens exactly the way you said and it has for awhile. It disappeared during the winter months and its just come back in the last month or so that its been getting hot here. Which leads me to believe its temp related.

Mine hardly happens but it does it on hot days and i cant figure out what it is.

86.5ny

Apr 26, 2010
OC, NY
i had a similar problem, though it sounds like my idle was slightly different (bouncing from 500 to ~900 rpm every second and on acceleration it would bog out). Tho you are posting problems about a turbo car (dunno if NA-T or GTE) in a N/A forum hehe. I'd also check the codes again, be careful of the ghost code 11 when reading the light. Seems silly that this would not throw a code, but that's just what I thought before I realized there was a such code 11 :). I would work from the ECU testing every voltage (start with +B/(+B1) to E1) and continuity check at the ECU wiring connectors until you stumble across something that is off of the required range. Turned out to be my ignitor, I had an extra, replaced it and it went away.

JDMMA70

Dec 4, 2006
Houston
small crack in my accordian hose caused this problem. Replaced accordian hose, starts up fine and smooth every time.

suprabee

Celicasupra.com Member
May 18, 2006
Here are my Vf values measured through the PIC to GIC process:

Note: engine was still very warm/hot and had been shot off for about 30 minutes after driving it to operating temp approx 15 miles.

during the PIC = 2.25 volts
PIC lasted @ 60 seconds at which time idle increased to @1000 and idle smoothed out = 1.0 volts
Idle then reduced to 650 and was in GIC= 3.5 volts

I let it idle in GIC for several minutes and voltage remained at 3.5 volts.
Then I increased throttle sharply and let off, letting it come back down to 650. Voltage decreased down to 2.25 when I hit throttle and go back up to 3.5 as it came back to idle. I repeated this last step and the same values were measured.

I'm using this post for referencing this troubleshooting. here is a summary of what is there about the voltage readings:
0v is rich (11%-20%)
1.25 is semi-rich (4%-10%)
2.5v is stochiometric
3.75v is semi-lean (4%-10%)
5v is lean (11%-20%)

http://www.supras.com/06/techcenter/display.php?QID=80

Rick

Last edited:

suprabee

Celicasupra.com Member
May 18, 2006
I was looking around the wiring today and I noticed the heater wire for the o2 sensor on the harness side of the connector was cracked and the wire was showing and a bit corroded, so I cut the wire and soldered it directly to the sensor side wire, so the 02 sensor heater wire is now hardwired into the chassis wiring. Thought I would just re-check the sensor per TSRM and it once again checked good. I counted 10 meter fluctuation in 10 seconds at 2500rpm (this was during GIC ), let off the throttle at 2500 and Vf1 voltage went to O volts, then removed TE1 and E1 jumper and voltage was 2.25 volts.

Waited about 15 minutes and started car, now it was in PIC just decided to unplug the O2 sensor (which from what I've read sends the ECU into open loop) Idle increased, but still was in PIC. Reconnected the sensor and idle went back down (550 to 650) in PIC. Repeated this process with same results a couple times before engine went into GIC.

So, I guess it is not an open or closed loop related problem, as forcing the ECU into open loop did not remove the mis-fire.

anyone want to help me with this?
Rick

Last edited:

suprabee

Celicasupra.com Member
May 18, 2006
Well went out for lunch to move the car into the shade for the rest of the workday, started the car and it was in PIC. This was after about 4 hours sitting off since I arrived at work this morning. Engine was of course "cold" by this time, but I gather not as cold as first start-up this morning at home....very strange.

Going to recheck the position of TPS, but I bet its till OK, because once the PIC is gone, there are no other issues/ problems at idle or when throttle is opened. I would think a failing or mis-aligned TPS would result in continuous problems throughout cold-warm driving.

After the TPS re-check, I'll start checking voltages at the ECU.

rick

Last edited:

SupaMan

Want The Boooooossttttttt
Oct 12, 2006
Cape Coral,Florida
This actually happened to me the other day again and instead of holding it at 1k rpms like i normally do i let the car work itself out and it slowly started to rise to 1k and smooth out by itself and then held there with a very slight ruff idle, I gave it a bit of throttle and let off and it was fine but it smelled incredibly rich and i did notice some power loss under 4k.

Tho my Y pipe is cracked and leaking so i could have been smelling that. It only seems to do it to me on REALLY hot days.

suprabee

Celicasupra.com Member
May 18, 2006
I really need some help now that I’m checking voltages at the ECU but first…I re-checked the TPS engine was cold and had been sitting all night, day temps are in the 70's:

gap 0.0mm --> VTA - E2 = 950 ohms / spec = 0.2 - 1.2 K
gap 0.432mm --> IDL - E2 = 380 ohms / spec = 2.3K orless
gap 0.889mm --> IDL - E2 = infinity / spec = infinity
gap Full open throttle --> VTA - E2 = 5k / spec = 3.5 - 10.3k

let engine warm to operating temp (in GIC) and checked timing in diag mode = @11 degrees BTDC, readjusted to 10 degrees. idle at 650 rpm and smooth.

On to the ECU….everything checked within spec except for IDL-E2, throttle valve from closed to open position went from 0 to 11.8 volts, specs on TSRM says 4-6 volts. I'm guessing from what I've read that what is important here is that when the throttle leaves the closed position I see a voltage increase either to 5 or 12 volts...depends on what year car you have.

rick

Last edited:

suprabee

Celicasupra.com Member
May 18, 2006
Update on what I've found over the last 2 months, but I'll start by going back in time to explain.

Shortly after my last post of June 10th, I took the car on a 4 hour drive, mostly freeway miles. A couple hours into the drive after exiting the freeway and entering stop and go traffic light driving , I came to the first stop light and my idle was low and almost stalling. Idle was different than the PIC I started this thread about. It was not loping, but just poor and not much response from the engine until enough throttle so that boost kicked in. Stop and go through 3 more lights and the check light came on. pulled over..codes 25 and 26. Have never had any codes thrown before.

Fast forward to sometime in July with PIC and now codes 25 and 26 continuing:

Checked the fuel pressure with a gage,- all within spec
at idle = 30 psi
at idle with out vaccum on fpr = 35psi
at shutoff = 38 psi and Holding pressure with only 1 psi drop/15 minutes.

unplugged the cold start injector fuel line (capped at the fuel rail of course) and drove around for several days without it, still had PIC and still had codes 25 and 26 being thrown.

Also checked that my warm start fpu system and VSV are working. I asked in another thread at what temp with the fpu VSV swith on..IIRC..see this thread:
http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1603106#post1603106
'
Finally, I was able to borrow a co-worker's oscilloscope and checked at the ECU all the voltages again per the TSRM.

Air Flow meter signal Ks- good- noted square waveform increasing in frequency with more throttle ..ie... more air flow

My IDL contact seemed a bit jumpy and it would not make a smooth transition from 0 to 12 volts when I opened throttle. Probably just the contacts a bit worn and dirty. At any rate, I decided to replace with a new one, and (I was told this by others) it did not solve my problem, but at least the IDL line is nice and clean and I'm OK with replacing it simply by how it was looking on the scope. (Not saying to everyone run out and replace your TPS. You'll have to make the call.) I mainly replaced the TPS as a preventative measure after watching the IDL contact using the scope.

So, I then looked at the 02 sensor with the scope. Sensor was cross counting at 2,00 rpms, but seemed a bit slow at idle...meaning that I could watch the voltage remain low for longer than it was high and it was not cross counting "smoothly". As the voltage would increase it did so with small...very small, dips in voltage, so that the rate of voltage increase was not uniform. Nothing that I could have seen using my fluke meter, but was obvious when looking at the voltage with the scope. Also should point out that I observed the sensor during both the PIC and GIC. It showed the same characteristics in both conditions.

So, I did some reading on 02 sensors and after a bit of mulling it over decided to buy a new sensor. I was hesitant, as the sensor checked good using a voltmeter per the TSRM,...AND I did remove the sensor and bench test it with a propane torch, as well as other things like unplugging it during PIC to see if idle improved/changed. Mostly, (and honestly) I'm not very experienced with looking at the operation of an 02 sensor(this is my first), so I was not sure if what I was seeing during idle was a problem or not...after all it was cross-counting.

Purchased the OE spec Denso 02 sensor,..the $40 one... without the connector and installed it, hard wiring it with solder to the chassis wiring, so no more connector. This was last Friday..4 days ago, and I have NOT experienced my Poor Idle condition (PIC). Recall from my first post that this PIC has been present for the past two years when it first began only occasionally up to currently at every warm start up. I've been driving around town as normal since Friday, and while at home going out to start the car every 10 minutes.....then 20 minutes....1 hour or 2 hours... NO POOR IDLE Condition has occurred since I replaced the 02 sensor.

I'm going to see what happens over the next couple weeks and I'll keep this posted/updated...check back if you are following this thread.
Rick

Last edited:

suprabee

Celicasupra.com Member
May 18, 2006
UPDATE
Its been 10 days since I replaced my o2 sensor and my loping idle at warm startup for brief period has not returned. I think that since this problem has been so long-lived and now it is completely gone, I can make a claim that replacing the sensor resolved the issue. However:

If you are having this EXACT problem, (please read through my first post in which I've described it in great detail,) then I recommend doing this first BEFORE replacing the old suspect o2 sensor.

Remove the o2 sensor to chassis connector (ie. cut it off) and solder the three wires together. Meaning, solder the 3 sensor wires to their 3 respective chassis wires. Then see if the problem is gone.

Now.... I did NOT in fact do this. I actually only soldered the signal wire and left the two heater wires connected through the connector. In hindsight, I should have first removed the entire connector and soldered the two heater wires as well to the chassis wiring to see if this solved my problem. If it did, then then connections in the connector was failing. Often the wires right were they enter a connector become deteriorated and oxidized, resulting in an open or poor connection. I just went ahead and soldered the new sensor and yes, Like I said, my PIC (poor idle condition) is gone. However, I really don't know if it was the new sensor, OR simply because I finally soldered the remaining two heater wires to the chassis wiring.

Recall that my problem was only during warm start-up, and would go away in about 20 -30 seconds of either driving or holding the throttle open. This, (I believe) would heat up the 02 sensor enough to get it cross-counting, which is what the heater in the sensor is suppose to do....heat the sensor up quickly, so it can start trimming fuel. It could be that all along my problem was simply the two heater wire connections at the connector. ( I did measure the heater resistor in the sensor which was in spec).

If you are going to install a new sensor anyway, then just solder it on...which is what i did. One of the two actions, soldering the wires or replacing the sensor, did solve my problem.

OK...if things change I'll update this thread. I like to see threads that come to a conclusion, so that others can benefit and not be left hanging when they have similiar problems....can't tell you how many threads I've read trying to solve this problem that ended with nothing...the threads usually just stopped. That won't happen here.

I still do have code 25 and 26 that started in June, as I described a couple posts ago. I am going to start a new thread specifically for those codes/problem since this thread is about my poor loping idle at warm startup for brief period. I'll add the link to the new thread HERE:
http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?128359-Codes-25-and-26&p=1607665#post1607665

Rick

Last edited: