Polyurethane Trans mounts for an 89' supra?

JohnRardin

JDM 7MGTE
Apr 4, 2006
Radford, VA
My buddy and I are working on a building a supra capable of 650+hp and I've heard that usually you need to upgrade your transmission mounts and motor mounts to poly mounts. Is this true? If so, where can you get them? I can't find any anywhere which leads me to believe that you dont need to(?). We just recently had the auto transmission rebuilt to handle 1500hp daily driver so I wanna make sure we don't skimp on the mounts. We're installing the tranny in a few days and it'd be way easier to put in the poly mounts (if we have to) during the trans installation instead of later on down the road. Thanks!
________
tits Cam

Last edited:

Devin LeBlanc

Banned
Apr 7, 2010
Las Vegas NV.
1500 HP A340E? umm yeah no... There's really nothing you have to do to them other than shim the accumulator spring and lock the kick down cable and it will handle as much as you can throw at it to a certain extent, but sure as hell not even 1000 crank HP

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Devin LeBlanc;1626076 said:
1500 HP A340E? umm yeah no... There's really nothing you have to do to them other than shim the accumulator spring and lock the kick down cable and it will handle as much as you can throw at it to a certain extent, but sure as hell not even 1000 crank HP

Most people making significant power through an auto usually just get a GM transmission. :)

Although I would think they would have to have custom mounts made anyway, no? I can see where you might think he's using the A340E...

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
Ahh... I don't have a 7m, so I never venture into that part of the forum. I'm in agreement with you on this one, the day I see a 1000hp put through an A340 without it exploding is the day I see crocodiles fly. Then it won't matter cause we're all fucked, there's flying crocodiles on the loose! :)

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
Stock tranny mount is a captive design already, doesn't really "need" to be changed. Motor mounts are a different story, especially if you have the later style ones...

JohnRardin

JDM 7MGTE
Apr 4, 2006
Radford, VA
Awesome, thanks for the advice. We'll use poly motor mounts and the new trans mounts for now til it becomes a problem. The reason we decided it'd be worth the $3000 to rebuild his A340 is for one, because the transmission needed to be rebuilt anyways and he wanted reliability. Second, money isn't an issue so he wanted the best rebuild possible. And Lastly because according to the shop that rebuild it, it'll safely handle the power we'll need in drag and street situations, forever supposedly (I'm assuming there's a warranty). According to the shop, all the parts have been cryogenicly frozen for durability using new parts resulting in half the total weight of the transmission.

If it's all true, its pretty badass. Has no one else ever done this on a A340? I think he actually called the shop and told them what you guys have told me and he reassured him that it will be basically bulletproof. Maybe we should get that in writing haha. From what I hear from my buddy, he's wanting to build it to eventually be a 9 second 7m. He has high hopes but luckily has the deep pockets to make it happen. Anyone ever do a quarter in under 10 seconds on a A340 before? I personally know that realistically thats a bit over ambitious but I'm trying to maintain an optimistic attitude considering he pays me to be his mechanic. I'm all for it! haha
________
HotBlondyBabe

Last edited:

te72

Classifieds Moderator
Staff member
Mar 26, 2006
WHYoming
I can't say I've ever seen the A340 used in quite that fast of a car before. Besttrans on here is probably the guy to go to as far as automatics go. If I'm not mistaken I believe they've had one into the 11's on an A340, but don't quote me on that one.

But hey, if it holds up, AWESOME. If not, there are plenty of readily available GM units waiting to take that kind of abuse. :)

JohnRardin

JDM 7MGTE
Apr 4, 2006
Radford, VA
Haha, well said. My guess is my buddy will see this as a challenge and take it as far as it can go. I'm sure we'll find out. Thanks for all the advice. The tranny should be back from the shop any day now. Once its in we'll install his 3.5" exhaust and see how she runs. We'll have pics and video up sometime in the near future.
________
JuicyMelons

Last edited:

JohnRardin

JDM 7MGTE
Apr 4, 2006
Radford, VA
VooDoo;1628353 said:
Here is some tranny info for you. This is about the best you can get avail. There is also a Titan stage 2 I believe.
http://www.importperformancetrans.com/toyotaauto.shtml

Yea thats the shop that rebuilt it. I think he ended up paying $2600 or something which isn't bad compared to the $3275 they have advertised. After talking it over with guys from IPT it sounds like my friend is finally convinced that he'll still one day need a GM tranny. The craziest part is now he's saying that whenever he gets the GM transmission, he'll probably give me his freshly rebuilt one. Hell yea.
________
JustWhatUneed

Last edited:

Compton74

Oct 8, 2008
Long Beach
this was on the bottom of the tranny info that was posted previously NOTE: This unit is the strongest configuration that can be achieved with this Toyota transmission. However, if you are running much faster than 9.99 we recommend the installation of a domestic three speed or Powerglide transmission. These units also enable you to enjoy the many benefits of a Trans Brake and 8", 9", or 10" torque converter. See our specialty RWD section or call us for details.