Poll Which front bumper is nicer looking 86.5 to 88 or 88.5 and later?

Heggy

Apr 5, 2012
Vaudreuil-Dorion
I bought a 90 JZA 70 front clip to do a 1JZ swap into my ’87 NA. I have the option of keeping the ’87 bumper or putting on the 90 (I will be changing the rear tail lights).

So I thought that it would be interesting to hear others opinions of which bumper set looks better.

Doat

Feb 6, 2012
Houston, TX
Yea cosmetic stuff is all personal preference I debated on converting my 91 front end to pre 89 but I am torn on the decision lol. I might just go with the shine auto front bumper.

Heggy

Apr 5, 2012
Vaudreuil-Dorion
The point is I like both of the front ends. I was just seeing if there was something that someone thought that was better or more appealing / functional etc. I'm doing the body and paint so it doesn't matter which one goes on. Just looking to get others feedback, which may help in the decision making.

Kckazdude

Mar 16, 2007
Memphis, TN
I have always had a preference to the 87 - 88 front end. The full width grille just has more appeal and the possibility of more cooling IMHO. The rear needs to be 89+. Unlike Nick I prefer the wing.

akito

Keep Laughing.You're Next
Jul 31, 2006
Springfield/Va
I lean towards 89+ but that's just me. If you take a good look at the bumper on top it looks like a pre89 with a molded in lip. I know it isn't but at certain angle it does very much, especially with all the pre 89 stuff on it.

black89t

boost'en down 101
Oct 27, 2007
humboldt, ca
heres my take on it and ive had both front bumpers on my car. forever i was all about the 89+ and didn't really like the 89- but this past january i crashed my car and had trouble finding a nice 89+ bumper that was worth painting so i had some fun with the 89- bumper from my parts car. and after having it on for a while now and taking pics im starting to like it. the major thing i like about the 89- is how it lets a lot more air flow through cooling the radiator better where the 89+ blocks air flow. another thing to note is the metal support for the upper valance with the supra emblem that has to be from same year as the bumper cause the turn signals and grill have different mounting points. heres how my car looks now. granted when i find a good 89+ bumper for the right price im gonna paint it with the same paint as my car but i don't mind the temporary bumper for the time being. but hands down 89+ tails and 3 piece spoiler are a must :biglaugh:

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
I have an 87 and you won't find me switching to an 89+ bumper. I love the way it looks. If I were "building" a MK3 I would go with something like SuprA70 posted. That would open up your options for lips too since there are almost none for the pre 89. As for the taillights if I would switch I would go to the JDM ones where they are all that dark cherry color. I would also have to switch the trim too because it bothers me when I see the mismatched trim on a pre 87 with 89+ taillights.

Heggy

Apr 5, 2012
Vaudreuil-Dorion
Thank you all for your feedback. It is great to see the different perspectives and some of the technical reasons why they went with their preferences.

So here is what I've decided:

JZA70 tail lights with JZA70 Type "R" moldings, with the '87 front bumper and JAZ70 front emblem (I like the '87 front a little more and think that the airflow for cooling is better). I would like a 3 piece spoiler, however have not been able to locate one as of yet.

I just completed the 1jz swap, on hold right now trying to source a hydro fan pressure line... but will post some pics soon prior and post paint.