Pls confirm my suspicion, or give opinion!

grsupra87

Let's go Pens!!
I have searched, and I believe I know the problem, I am just looking for some opinions, I guess.
My Supra gets a strong shake, like an out of balance tire, from time to time. It doesn't always do it, but once it does it can go from mild to severe, and speed does not matter. I feel it in my seat, and a LITTLE in the steering wheel. I know I need to replace all 4 rotors and pads so I had assumed this was causing it.
Me and a buddy were checking under the car last night for bad U-joints, etc. and found that the rear axles are nice and tight. BUT the driveshaft is pretty sloppy, lots of play. You can wiggle it side to side an inch or more, so I think the REAL culprit is the carrier bearing. Is it unusual for a bad carrier bearing to only do this from time to time, and is not dependant on speed? If I tap the brakes, it will calm down for a bit, but then start up. If I back the car up a little bit, it won't do it again for a while. I know theres too much play in the driveshaft, and the rotors are pretty shot. I was surprised at how much the carrier bearing is, so with that and the brakes I'm looking at about $500 bones. So I welcome any opinions anyone has on this before I dig in! Thanks.

Shytheed Dumas

For Sale
Mar 6, 2006
Louisville, KY
I had the same problem, replaced the carrier bearing which had the same amount of play you described with no improvement. Rear calipers did the trick.

I know I'm going to get flamed, but I did use an inexpensive carrier bearing from Autozone ($39). It doesn't work in the housing it comes in, so you would need to drill out the rivets on the original bearing housing, install the new bearing with the rubber surround, and hold the surround closed with three bolts and lock washers. I admit I went ghetto this time, but it's worked perfectly since last summer and if it craps out I'm only out $40 and can still buy a real carrier bearing.

Either way, between the bearing and the calipers I'm betting you'll take care of the problem.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Shytheed Dumas said:
I had the same problem, replaced the carrier bearing which had the same amount of play you described with no improvement. Rear calipers did the trick.

When I first read that, I said to myself, "Bullshit". Then after I read the others, I realized you are talking about the driveshaft suport bearing. Because a carrier bearing is big. They go in the diff, and support the differential carrier, or carrier for short. And there is two of them.

Last edited:

Shytheed Dumas

For Sale
Mar 6, 2006
Louisville, KY
Nick M said:
When I first read that, I said to myself, "Bullshit". Then after I read the others, I realized you are talking about the driveshaft suport bearing. Because a carrier bearing is big. They go in the diff, and support the differential carrier, or carrier for short. And there is two of them.

Thanks for the clarification. Driveshaft suport bearing does not equal carrier bearing. :icon_bigg

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
I don't want to be picky, but when everybody uses their own terminology, everybody might not be on the same page. This is why OBD level 2 requires standard terminology.

So, no prolemo. :)

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Lay under the car and look along all 3 Uni's the caps should all face the same direction in a straight line, the rear section of shaft can twist putting them out of phase causing the issue you describe.