Please, help to find leak. Water gets in salon

Korg77

Mar 31, 2005
Moscow
After three days of heavy rain I found the wet dirt on the right in a niche of the driver's feet, under the fuse box and relays. A layer of soundproofing material is wet, mostly with its reverse side.

I removed the dashboard and the reinforcement, but unfortunately found no apparent points of leakage. I hope I'm not the first to come across this, and I hope for help.

I must say, i used to find there moisture before, but i though it's a natural condensation. Now i have no doubts.

1986, JDM, targa.

no leaks in the targa roof parts. :1zhelp:

Last edited:

suprra_girl

7M POWAH! ;)
Mar 30, 2005
Auckland, New Zealand
www.supra.co.nz
Couple of things possible

Cruise control hole in the firewall (although mine is completely open and I don't get water pissing in :p)
Clutch cylinder hole in the firewall (check the bungs)

Exterior of the car where the grills go by the wipers, alot of crap gets inside there and blocks up the holes under the guards, they eventually fill with water and sit there rotting, pull out your grills and give it a good hose down as far as you can get each side, check under the guards or even jack her up and pull out the inner guards and watch the crap come out when you hose it down. (I recommend wearing clothes you don't mind getting dirty, you're gonna get wet in the face alot lol)
Hopefully it hasn't rotted any part of the firewall section there

Aero top: When the water does come through it can sneak through the a-pillar interior piece, down the inner a pillar down through/past the junction blocks/relays and can pool down the bottom.

Good ol toyota liftbacks, they leak in the rear, it's what they do, tail lights, window seals, many places. If you park downhill frequently the water pools into the sides of the chassis in the boot, once it fills enough it goes forward to the rear struts, through there and down under the back seats, once those seats are wet enough on the bottom to stop absorbing water and it fills up it gets into the rear floor and starts heading forward.
Yank out the rear lower seat, is there water underneath that?

I've fixed all the leaks in my car bar for one, I have a feeling that the original toyota sealant is letting go at the top of the windscreen and the hatch panel fills up with water and drips to the side chassis as I lift it, I've sealed everything else and still get water *sigh* lol. Getting the rear window resealed soon xD

Satan

Supramania Contributor
Mar 31, 2005
Tampa
Also check your clutch fluid reservoir level. That has been known to go bad and leak into cabin, but mostly in area by the driver's feet.