Please help me rewire my 1992 Oxygen Sensor

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
I have recently sourced the proper wiring harness for my 1992 turbo, and replaced the repinned 1989 harness that I was using. With the 89 harness, I was able to use the older O2 sensor, and it is the only one I have at this point. My plan is to remove the connector from the 89 harness and add it to the 1992 harness, so I don't need to source another sensor. Both harnesses use a 3 wire sensor, but they have different connectors. I just need a little guidance as to where each wire should go to make this work.

From my searching, I believe the 2 black wires are heater wires. Does it matter which one is which. I would assume that they go to the two lower pins that are together. Am I right? And that would leave the blue wire to go to the pin where the white wire was on the other, at the solo pin?

Here are pictures of both connectors and the wiring for each:

The connector from the sensor on the earlier 86-90 sensor and it's wiring

The round connector from that same 89 sensor

The square 92 connector

And the 92's wiring

Dan_Gyoba

Turbo Swapper
Aug 9, 2007
Alberta
www.gyoba.com
I believe that the white wire goes to the Ox port on the ECU. One of the others will go to Ht, and the final one will connect to B+

I believe that the white goes to Ox, and the other 2 go to Ht/B+. It does not matter which goes where, since it's just a heating unit, and polarity does not matter.

On the '89 connector, the Ox port is the one that's by itself. The B+/Ht connectors are the 2 which are side by side.

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
Here's an update to this...........

I have completed the swap to the older style connector, and it wasn't as easy as just swapping the connectors! The terminals inside the connectors were also different sizes, so I had to cut the wires, and add in some that would fit the older style connector. Luckily I had some, so that I didn't have to cut those off of my old harness.

I'm leaving the house right now, so when I get back, I will clear my codes, and recheck it. I should be code free now.