Please help identify this part

tim_kido

Aug 29, 2007
Seattle
hi all,

I have a 1986 1/2 Supra which recently just blew one of its coolant hoses and sprayed coolant all over the place.

After opening the hood, I realized that one of the hoses is disconnected from one of the "valves". This thing is located right ahead of the passenger compartment on the left if you're facing the car. It is located behind the charcoal filter as you can see from this picture, which is taken standing in front of the hood looking towards the passenger side of the car.

http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/8350/orientationeh0.jpg

Upon closer examination of the "valve", I noticed that the spigot appear to be broken and my guess is that it used to be longer. The previous owner simply reattached the coolant hose but because there's not enought length, the hose is quite loose and easy to become disconnected.

I need to replace the part but I don't know what it's called. Could someone help me out? Also, where can I find a replacement part?

Tim

tim_kido

Aug 29, 2007
Seattle
you mean it pipes heated coolant through so it can help heat warm air and sent it into the cabin? Why would the coolant be able to get into the engine? Are the two systems connected?

Tim

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
yes sir they are... how do you think you get hot air? it has to come from somewhere, and so your engine pumps the coolant through a heater core on the inside with your hot coolant and thus you have heat! which is why when you first turn on the car, you have no heat, but once you drive for a bit, its nice and toasty!

shenronzero

spitfire
Oct 19, 2007
orlando/ New Smyrna Beach FL
if it is broken those are really hard to come by... there is a quick fix way of fixin it which is what i did to mine... you take a zip tie and rap it around the bottom and top... i will have to take a picture to give you a better discription. ill try to get the pic to you sometime tomorrow

Kckazdude

Mar 16, 2007
Memphis, TN
It is a heater control valve. I see them for sale quite often from $20-50. I have also heard that certain valves from a Camry work as well. Will have to search around to get more details on that one.

The heater gets its heat from the engine coolant. When that connection blew you lost engine coolant.

turbo4toy

Apr 2, 2005
Los Angeles
you can easily find one on the forums they are always selling on here. Anyone parting out a car would probably have one if it has not already sold.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Junkyard parts like this one will also be fatigued and may not last. Imo not worth the risk. The valve off a Corolla or early 90s Geo Prizm (a rebadged Corolla) will work. For example:

http://tinyurl.com/4nlxua

The hose barbs will be one size larger and the actuating lever will need to be swapped but it'll work fine. Or go for an 89 Corolla, it's close to a perfect fit. About the same price new.

Or you can bypass it. That'll cost you around 10 degrees worth of A/C goodness though...

ForcedTorque

Join the 92 Owners Group
Jul 11, 2005
Satsuma, Alabama, United States
shenronzero;1035356 said:
if it is broken those are really hard to come by... there is a quick fix way of fixin it which is what i did to mine... you take a zip tie and rap it around the bottom and top... i will have to take a picture to give you a better discription. ill try to get the pic to you sometime tomorrow

^WOW! You MUST not be too scared of changing your head gasket!

OP....Don't drive the car until you get this replaced. These get expensive in the winter when people want their heater to work. You could bypass it, and drive the car.

shenronzero

spitfire
Oct 19, 2007
orlando/ New Smyrna Beach FL
ForcedTorque;1035598 said:
^WOW! You MUST not be too scared of changing your head gasket!

OP....Don't drive the car until you get this replaced. These get expensive in the winter when people want their heater to work. You could bypass it, and drive the car.

well mine wasnt broken the same way his is so i dont have the whole leaking fluid deal goin. and as for the head gasket... can do that in 6 hours or so... 5 if i really need to get it done... my dad and i both drive supras and the current one i drive ive never had to do the head gasket on but i have done three others:biglaugh: a 91, 86,and my dads 87. its to the point where we are like, alright lets time it lol

tim_kido

Aug 29, 2007
Seattle
Hi all,

just want to say a big THANK YOU to all who contributed to my post. I've gotten all my questions answered plus finding out where to get a replacement part as well.

I knew I've come to the right place:biglaugh: