1218x37.jpg

2ym6pnt.jpg

I was bored...lol

Last edited:

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
Are there load spreaders inside the cowl or is it just nutserted to the .9mm sheetmetal?
(too many hinge joints, the strut mount needs 2 bolts so it can't act as a pivot under compression loads)

T701jz

3M ENGINEER - R.&.D
Jul 23, 2005
Santa Clarita Ca.
IJ.;1400592 said:
Are there load spreaders inside the cowl or is it just nutserted to the .9mm sheetmetal?
(too many hinge joints, the strut mount needs 2 bolts so it can't act as a pivot under compression loads)

Rivnuts.
I'm adding a 1/16-1/8 SS-plate across to beef up the fire wall. The joints are bolted and pin (tight) and the base joints are 1'' in diameter. It would have to take tons of stress to move all 4 points structure....with double A-arm.

Last edited:

T701jz

3M ENGINEER - R.&.D
Jul 23, 2005
Santa Clarita Ca.
PureDrifter;1400613 said:
i like.....where'd you source the ends of the rods? or did you make them?

Made it all at one night at work.

I'm taking it for a rd/canyon test today :icon_wink. I can already feel the additional 80hp gain :icon_wink.

mkIIIman089

Supramania Contributor
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
I think rivnuts are brilliant little things for light duty applications, holding on bodywork or the like. I've never had one completely pull out, but typically what happened when you put a loads on them is they loosened up and wore whatever hole they're in. So they end up needing to be drilled out and replaced on a regular basis.

For this application I think the easiest route (ie - no welding) would be a nut with a thick hardened fender washer on it. Or you might get away with a non-floating nut plate with SS rivets if for whatever reason you were going to be removing those mounting blocks all the time.

Since it's done now I wouldn't worry about changing it though, especially since I don't know what sort of load, if any at all, they may see. Just my thoughts when I saw it...

T701jz

3M ENGINEER - R.&.D
Jul 23, 2005
Santa Clarita Ca.
mkIIIman089;1401214 said:
I think rivnuts are brilliant little things for light duty applications, holding on bodywork or the like. I've never had one completely pull out, but typically what happened when you put a loads on them is they loosened up and wore whatever hole they're in. So they end up needing to be drilled out and replaced on a regular basis.

For this application I think the easiest route (ie - no welding) would be a nut with a thick hardened fender washer on it. Or you might get away with a non-floating nut plate with SS rivets if for whatever reason you were going to be removing those mounting blocks all the time.

Since it's done now I wouldn't worry about changing it though, especially since I don't know what sort of load, if any at all, they may see. Just my thoughts when I saw it...

Well...I've never had one failed on me and I have tested these rivs with all my weigh hanging from the ceiling. Like I said I'm riveting an extra plate at the fire wall. Just like Ian said the wall is only .9mil wall of thickness. A proper use of rivs (type) and crimp pressure should be close to having it weld. I remember using/riveting these insert-nuts at Aerospace(Lockheed)...now can you imagine the stress on that?

toyotanos

What will we break today?
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 29, 2008
Coon Rapids, MN
Like IJ said, the rear arms need to be fixed for it to control the body flex, otherwise it'll just pivot with the body. Here's a picture of a Toyota Corolla GTS with a TRD 3-point strut bar, that's what needs to happen.
sm_photo_missing.jpg

Very nice looking, though! Good job

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
T701jz;1406162 said:
Meaning.... fix joint....so it couldn't sway left and right. I could weld that joint permanent.

I think I'd just double bolt it, that way it's easy to work on the car if that bit's in the way just unbolt it and not the entire brace, the other point is the car WILL bend in time if you drive it hard so what bolts up today may not next time it's off!
(at least with bolts you have a little bit of wiggle room)