Pioneer AVIC-D3

whudafux

Formerly dcrusupra
Jan 5, 2006
Cullowhee, NC
www.myspace.com
I've been eyeing the headunit for quite a while now. After playing with it at Best Buy I'm pretty much sold on it. Anyone have one in their Supra? Pics?

pionav.jpg

suprakid24

Turbo'd
Jan 6, 2007
Texas
www.cardomain.com
I have it in my supra, and I like it alot even though it sits a little low in the dash. I don't have any better pics of it right now, but I can get some tomorrow.

You can kinda see it in this pic...
p1062038_1.jpg

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
I have the D2. Looks sweet, tilting the screen helps out.
p1062298_1.jpg

sm_photo_missing.jpg

p1062298_2.jpg

p1062298_3.jpg

Hooking/ finding the right wires for the speed, and reverse is kind of a pain. I did a small write up on it a few months ago. Search AVIC-D2.

whudafux

Formerly dcrusupra
Jan 5, 2006
Cullowhee, NC
www.myspace.com
Instead of starting a new thread I'm just going to ask in this one. I need a good sounding system. I want some bass kick, although I'm more interested in mids and highs. I want a clear sounding system. I listen to mostly rock, classic rock, and very very few rap songs. I have a targa so not much trunk space to work with.

So I ask the sound gurus to guide me in what I should get...Please...

And empera, I'll be buying another e-brake handle because the original one I bought is of no use to me anymore because it is LHD and I need a RHD one. Want it back so you can sell it to someone else? It's black with red stitching. Lol.

empera

Authorized Vendor
Mar 30, 2005
Philly.
send it back and i'll give u a discount...but either way its up to u...and i wish i could answer ur question about the sub, i'd just use thick ground wire directly to chassis or possible battery.

tsuper92

supra addict
Apr 7, 2005
mass
thanks empera.
dcrusupra,you could start with 6.5 inch speaker pod's for your front door's.i have infinity kappa component set up in the front and little 5" woofer's in the little plastic speaker box's near the quarter window's.i used to have a 12" woofer in the spare tire hole also,but ditched that because of the load.i also got this radio as an "open box buy" at best buy for $674 out the door.the price was good considering new on the shelf was $999 and it looked like it was never out of the box.

whudafux

Formerly dcrusupra
Jan 5, 2006
Cullowhee, NC
www.myspace.com
Can I fit 6.5" into my speaker pods? I have an '88. I don't think they will fit without some sort of door modification. But I don't know, I'm not a stereo kind of guy. One of my main goals is that I want things looking as close to stock as possible.

I also went to a stereo shop to get a quote on installing the head unit today. $125... I think it's a little on the high side, but I have nothing to base the price off of.

Pernilongo

LADA is my daily
Jul 15, 2007
Los Angeles
Its very easy to install a head unit. 2 hours tops for a novice. it is as easy as colour matching the wires and making crimps. 125$ ? You don't even need to use your higher brain function to do colour matching. Installers know people are afraid to mess up the electronics, thats why they give you 100X the price of what the job is worth.

tsuper92

supra addict
Apr 7, 2005
mass
the d3 does have alot of stuff to put in,if you hook up all it's option's.i didn't install any of the bluetooth stuff.it has an antenna to run for the gps and a wire to hook to the speed sensor.you can also get a cord for your i-pod.there is also a back up camera option,which has a wire for the reverse light switch

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
The D3 dose play regular movie DVD's correct. MY D2 doesn’t play movie DVD's or what ever that format is, only nav. base DVD :wtc: , I should have read into the D2 more before I bought it. But then again now that were talking money, I only paid 400 for my new D2 + 45 for the rear view camera :)

whudafux

Formerly dcrusupra
Jan 5, 2006
Cullowhee, NC
www.myspace.com
I heard the only bad thing about the D3 is that you have to take out the NAV DVD to play a CD. But thats not so bad. I'm most likely only going to keep my iPod hooked up to it and use that.

It does play DVDs as well but it's the same situation as above. You need to remove the NAV disk and have a place to put it that won't scratch it.

92nsx

Supramania Contributor
Sep 30, 2005
Clearwater, MN
Really!! I figured that it would have 2 slots for discs like my D2. (but if I would have looked closer to the top pic. I would have seen this.

My D2 Top one for cd's and a bottom drive/insert for the nav disc, but both are behind the screen, Nice and clean look. Press open once and the screen folds down to insert a cd, press it for 5 sec. and the screen folds down even further to reviel the nav. disc drive. Umm....... Ipod hook up FTW. But since I'm old school no ipod for me, just mp3 cd's. But I guess my cell phone has a music player built into it i could use :sarcasm:......One of these days I might have to get a ipod. LOL

suprakid24

Turbo'd
Jan 6, 2007
Texas
www.cardomain.com
dcrusupra;1065783 said:
I heard the only bad thing about the D3 is that you have to take out the NAV DVD to play a CD. But thats not so bad. I'm most likely only going to keep my iPod hooked up to it and use that.

It does play DVDs as well but it's the same situation as above. You need to remove the NAV disk and have a place to put it that won't scratch it.

Yea the only downside is the one slot for the disk, but whenever you have the NAV dvd in, and you set a route, it can load that route and stay with it in memory - not really sure how long it is - but you can take out the NAV dvd and still have directions. You just can't change where you want to go or anything, it just remembers where you are going. I have the ipod cord with it and the xm, and those are the only two options I got. I like it alot, my girlfriend likes watching movies on those trips to the track.

whudafux

Formerly dcrusupra
Jan 5, 2006
Cullowhee, NC
www.myspace.com
I was thinking of getting the whole package with it. iPod connection, bluetooth, traffic, and maybe the back-up camera with it. I have other plans for a back-up camera though.

8355228_rb.jpg

It just depends on how big it is compared to the stock rear view mirror. I like the idea of it so I don't get used to looking at a screen on the lower side of the dash. It keeps me in the habit of looking in the mirrors instead of always depending on the headunit.

And I've been listening to XM a lot in my girlfriends car and I don't really like it. The stations that are in the same category play the same music a lot. I just don't feel like it's worth the money.