Pilot Bearing Removal

87M-GTE

Slow
Sep 12, 2007
Milwaukee WI
I have searched this a good amount and the few threads I found only left me asking more questions.

First off, I thought to just "pry" the bearing out from the crank, But then I read about cutting the bearing apart to remove it, using a punch to tap the bearing and a ''toilet paper'' trick?

AFAIK the bearing has to be pulled out from the crank, so the methods involving ''tapping'' the bearing out are making no sense to me.

If you can help explain either method or describe what worked for you I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks guys!

BTW, these are some of the threads I found that motivated me to make this thread..

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...=pilot+bearing

http://www.supramania.com/forums/sho...=pilot+bearing

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
I come from a land down under
I use Grease and a shaft that's a close fit to the ID of the bearing, slide hammer is good but if the bearing's been in there awhile you run the risk of pulling the inside race out then the job becomes a major PITA...

87M-GTE

Slow
Sep 12, 2007
Milwaukee WI
Jostar;1698174 said:
SAM, Stuff it with wet toilet paper. It works lol

oldsking;1698274 said:
I did the wet paper trick and it worked :)

So basically the wet paper is being used as a hydraulic to push the bearing out?

IJ.;1698280 said:
I use Grease and a shaft that's a close fit to the ID of the bearing..

RPSil13;1698445 said:
yeah the grease and bolt trick works well,

Same thing as the wet paper trick except grease is used as opposed to pape?

Thanks for the replys guys!!!!

Sam

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
Yeah same thing, you're just using hydraulic force to push it out, think hydraulic ram the bearing is the piston the crank the cylinder and the bolt/shaft the pressure inlet :)

It's pretty cool.

bgrieger

Mar 30, 2005
Toronto
It's cool unless the bearing seal ruptures and you end up with a face full of grease...like mine did...though I have to say that was the first time I've ever seen that happen!

supra1008

May 2, 2007
Philadelphia
I'm sure your used to things rupturing in your face. :rofl: sorry i had to.
Good techniques to know. I'll be replacing the pilot bearing soon.

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
Here's my "no grease in the face" method... :biglaugh:

p1698851_1.jpg

p1698851_2.jpg

p1698851_3.jpg

NashMan

WTF did he just wright ?
Aug 5, 2005
Victoria BC
i have slide hammer for it now bust used to all wasy use greash

most odd stuff i have ever used was slicone instead of greash and ti worked to sticky but it worked

IJ.

Grumpy Old Man
Mar 30, 2005
bgrieger;1698807 said:
It's cool unless the bearing seal ruptures and you end up with a face full of grease...like mine did...though I have to say that was the first time I've ever seen that happen!

Only way I can see that happening is if some genius removed the inner seal when it was installed.... :nono:

Kenny: All well and good till it pulls the inner race clean out and you then have to dremel what's left into pieces to remove...
(I have a couple of slide hammers but have learnt my lesson on this one)

CajunKenny

PULL MY FINGER. PLEASE!
Nov 15, 2007
Washington
IJ.;1698950 said:
Kenny: All well and good till it pulls the inner race clean out and you then have to dremel what's left into pieces to remove...
(I have a couple of slide hammers but have learnt my lesson on this one)

Agreed.

After all...you've probably removed more pilot bearings than I am old... :biglaugh: