Picked up a new hobby while I was gone. Salt water aquarium.

BorHor

2JZ-GZE
Jan 10, 2006
San Jose, CA
I been gone for a while. Not completely out of the supra game yet but on a break. Got tired of dealing with cars so I got in to salt water aquariums. Started with a small 29 gallons a few months ago and some how ended up with a 120g a few weeks ago. :nono: Let me just say.. I could have built a nice MK3 with the money I spent on these 2 tanks haha.

This is my 29g from a few months ago. It actually looks some what different now
p1614278_1.jpg

And my new beast. Pic was from last week it is now stocked with fish.
p1614278_2.jpg

For some reason I can not stay away from spending money.. Some one help me. :: facepalm ::

Setheroo

^_^ got horespower?
Oct 16, 2006
Tennessee
www.revogate.com
Those things look bad ass - and as far as the spending money thing goes... let's just say that sometimes it is kinda hard not to... when you end up liking something, you like it!

S.A. supra

Feb 15, 2009
Buda, Texas
Well look at it this way, you are now spending money on something you like and relaxes you, instead of something that stresses you out.

SupraMario

I think it was the google
Mar 30, 2005
The Farm
I want to start one so bad but I know that salt water is EXPENSIVE. My cousin has now 2 55 gallons, 1 30 gallon, 1 150 gallon, and 1 10 gallon...all fresh water...he has a ton of south American citlets(sp?)

I want a shark SOOO bad LOL, but I would have to get a massive tank as the smallest one I know of gets like 3' long :(

So I've decided on a brackish water black fin shark (its a catfish) but it looks like a shark lol

shaeff

Kurt is FTMFW x2!!!!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2005
Around
Waiting on Mike + Theresa to chime in. :)

Lookin' good, Boris.

BorHor

2JZ-GZE
Jan 10, 2006
San Jose, CA
haha I do remember Mike and Theresa having a salt water tank too. I wanted one since around that time but did not have the right guidance to do it so I put it off. After I threw out my latest MK3 plans I ended up starting the small tank and some how went big in almost no time.

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
BorHor;1614417 said:
haha I do remember Mike and Theresa having a salt water tank too.

We've got a 125 Gal saltwater reef aquarium, however neither of us really has the time to care for it properly anymore. We're about to put the entire thing up for sale.

BorHor

2JZ-GZE
Jan 10, 2006
San Jose, CA
Supracentral;1614426 said:
We've got a 125 Gal saltwater reef aquarium, however neither of us really has the time to care for it properly anymore. We're about to put the entire thing up for sale.

That is sad to hear.

Some pics I took today of the bigger tank.

p1614614_1.jpg

p1614614_2.jpg

p1614614_3.jpg

p1614614_4.jpg

p1614614_5.jpg

BorHor

2JZ-GZE
Jan 10, 2006
San Jose, CA
DreamerTheresa;1614668 said:
...how big is that tank with all the fish in it?

How old is the tank? HOW many fish did you add in a week??

It is a 120g been up in my house for 3 weeks. It was a used set up. Used mostly used cured water, cured sand, and live rock. Fish were added every few days afer I saw the fish in the tank were doing fine. And no I am not going to add any more fish.

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
BorHor;1614873 said:
It is a 120g been up in my house for 3 weeks. It was a used set up. Used mostly used cured water, cured sand, and live rock. Fish were added every few days afer I saw the fish in the tank were doing fine. And no I am not going to add any more fish.

Watch your ammonia and nitrites - I'd test it at least daily, possibly twice a day for a while. Be prepared to do some fairly large water swaps if your water chemistry starts going wonky. It's likely that tank hasn't fully cycled yet and you're pushing it pretty hard.

Read this: http://saltaquarium.about.com/cs/bionitrogencycle/a/aa073199.htm

You might want to cut back your feedings a bit as well to keep the level of fish waste down so you don't wind up with a deadly ammonia spike. You don't want it to crash -- I've seen it -- it will look perfect and then one morning you wake up and everything is dead or near dead. It's the number one reason people drop out of the saltwater hobby, massive die offs.

We didn't add fish to our tank until it was established for months...

IwantMKIII

WVU MAEngineering
Jun 12, 2007
Perkasie, PA
Nice, I've always liked aquariums, but the problem with the fish/aquarium hobby, the interest can quickly die out, especially with salt water. Its expensive, high maintenance, and with little return IMO. So it looks pretty, whoop-de-do, now what? Lets play a game of what fish will eat the $150 dollar fish I just bought? Just my .02, and not trying to put down your new hobby at all, just consider it a fair warning.

BorHor

2JZ-GZE
Jan 10, 2006
San Jose, CA
Supracentral;1614892 said:
Watch your ammonia and nitrites - I'd test it at least daily, possibly twice a day for a while. Be prepared to do some fairly large water swaps if your water chemistry starts going wonky. It's likely that tank hasn't fully cycled yet and you're pushing it pretty hard.

Read this: http://saltaquarium.about.com/cs/bionitrogencycle/a/aa073199.htm

You might want to cut back your feedings a bit as well to keep the level of fish waste down so you don't wind up with a deadly ammonia spike. You don't want it to crash -- I've seen it -- it will look perfect and then one morning you wake up and everything is dead or near dead. It's the number one reason people drop out of the saltwater hobby, massive die offs.

We didn't add fish to our tank until it was established for months...

Ya I am watching my water closely. So far so good. I think running a good sized skimmer is helping me out as well. Thanks for looking out.

IwantMKIII;1614916 said:
Nice, I've always liked aquariums, but the problem with the fish/aquarium hobby, the interest can quickly die out, especially with salt water. Its expensive, high maintenance, and with little return IMO. So it looks pretty, whoop-de-do, now what? Lets play a game of what fish will eat the $150 dollar fish I just bought? Just my .02, and not trying to put down your new hobby at all, just consider it a fair warning.

Main reason I did this is because my whole family can enjoy it. I still live at home and I did not want to spend money on a car for myself any more but rather something everyone can look at and enjoy. But I do have a feeling after this is fully done I will be getting another car to play with :panic: