picked up a dirt cheap supra

zachm611

Beauty In Disguise
Apr 15, 2006
new mexico
With problems... first it wouldnt start...easy fix just cps wires but some How water is leaking with the oil did a compression test and its even 155-160 across all 6 also one of the intake manifold bolts seemed to be leaking oily coolant onto the intake manifold making a pool. Any ideas? Possible cracked head? Should coolant or oil leak from intake manifold bolt? Thanks.for any suggestions in advance!

Sep 19, 2011
Des Moines, IA
zachm611;1853802 said:
Should coolant or oil leak from intake manifold bolt?

Lol no :icon_razz

But congrats, post up some pictures for us to take a gander at, and good luck getting that leak tracked down. The throttle body has a coolant hose running to and from it make sure those aren't leaking also.

Jimbo

Creeper
Jul 15, 2009
San Jose
Oily pool on intake runners? Imma say valve cover gaskets. See if it smells like gas, then it's injector seals.

Plus the coolant lines coming from the iscv and throttle body, as mentioned above.

zachm611

Beauty In Disguise
Apr 15, 2006
new mexico
found the source of the oil leak on the runners, the bolt i was talking about leaking was too short to tighten the manifold, after looking at my other supra turns out there is suppose to be a stud there. anyways put a longer bolt in there for the time being and that is no longer an issue.

however if anyone is in the mood for a milk shake come on over lol as thats how the oil looks lol. kind of strange that my compression is pretty much even across all 6 but water is still mixing in with the oil... radiator seems to have a slight drip but its dumping more water into the oil pan than anything and i couldnt really look into the radiator to see if its mixing in there as well.

whenever i get more time i will drain the radiator to see. anyways what would the most probable cause to be mixing water into oil besides the head gasket my biggest difference across the 6 cylinders in a compression test is maybe 7psi.. i guess that could be enough to be letting water into the oil pan?

Thanks again in advance! Milk shakes will be served on wednesday after im off from work early and tear down of the engine begins.

zachm611

Beauty In Disguise
Apr 15, 2006
new mexico
Lol I guess I cant complain it was 300 bucks and worth a shot if not its worth more in parts well whatever is salvageable and in scrap. The old saying seems to stand if its too good to be true it is. I guess I just got it just to buy it lmao. Sucks having 2 jobs cause the money cant buy me time :( that and now that I have car payments on the wifes new camry I'm stuck with 2 jobs for another year or 2. Oh well if I find anything obvious I'll post back

Sep 19, 2011
Des Moines, IA
IJ.;1853903 said:
LOL@ "Dirt cheap Supra" :D

Funniest thing I have read all year.

Honestly Zach, you are going to want to tear apart the whole engine, go through it, and reassemble it just to make sure nothing is damaged.

If you have had any doubts of any water in the oil at all, please for all of us just pull the engine and go through all of it, or else you WILL develop rod knock. So far I have been the only one that I have known of that has not developed rod knock after a head gasket failure. Even though my oil was clean, and I am 99% positive I did not have water mix into my oil, I am even going to go through my engine this winter and make sure it didn't happen.
$300 is still a killer deal on a MKIII, as long as it has most of its parts there.

zachm611

Beauty In Disguise
Apr 15, 2006
new mexico
FML!!! just when i thought things were going good... the past few days have been pretty crappy... the cinder brick wall in the back yard decided to fall over and pretty much destroy the passenger side of the car.... so i had to build a quick wooden fence for the back yard so my dogs dont get out... glass was shattered its screwed, next day my dogs are barking wildly at the car i go out and find the neighoors cat decided it would be a comfy place to lay its kittens in the back seat, went and rudely banged on the neighboors door at 630am to get his cat and kittens out of my car there is cat hair everywhere!!! best part about it im allergic to cats.. needless to say I pulled the engine, trans.. ecu and harness out.. as this car will serve its purpose for buying as an engine donor for my 89 toyota pickup, granted there is nothing wrong with the engine. oh and to top it off im sick now... anyways junkyard is on its way and giving me 150 bucks for it with the title.. FML! #&(*%$&@#()*)@(*$)_(*%)(#*$% sorry for the rant.

zachm611

Beauty In Disguise
Apr 15, 2006
new mexico
Thanks and yeah I learned these are money pits years ago when I first bouht one with intention to swap but the more I worked on it the more I started to like the car lol I'm now finally following through with my original plans