Painting the CT26 Heat shield?

D.J.T.

Aug 25, 2010
Arkansas, United States
Hey guys my CT26 heat shield looks like is rusting pretty bad.. i was wondering if i could just spray paint on it with... Flame proof header paint. Silica * Ceramic coating. The can says it can withstand 1300 - 2000 degrees Fahrenheit. [704 - 1093 Celsius] & i have no idea how hot a CT26 can get. Thanks for any tips & lessons in advance..

radiod

Supramania Contributor
Dec 13, 2007
Abbotsford, BC
For a lot of the super high temp paints you need to bake it on after applying for it to actually withstand the temperatures it's rated for. As for the temperatures the heat shield is reaching, well, my laser thermometer just goes to "Error" whenever you point it near the turbo after a cruise (it only goes up to 650F), so I can't help much there. Whatever you end up doing though, make sure you follow the instructions provided otherwise it will end up flaking off in no time.

Scott 88-1JZ

Dec 9, 2007
California
I used the VHT high temp paint on the turbo shield of my 1jz. It also says to bake it in the oven, but there is no way I am going to stink up my whole house to do it. If you have an extra oven outside sure why not. You can also cure it on the car by running the motor, directions are on the can. I did that and it still seems to be holding up. Painting is all in the prep work. Make sure you sand it down good, I used some 600 grit, and clean it thoroughly. I used the dupont prep spray prior to paint with good results.

D.J.T.

Aug 25, 2010
Arkansas, United States
Thanks for the info man. Last time i did something similar the paint was burning off & it would stink horribly & it wasn't even rated to withstand high temperatures. Thats when i was young, ignorant & stupid.. I probably still am just less now. lol

& holy crap i read the instructions & can't wait that long.. but ill try.. i juzt hope i have enough time.

stevenr816

Feb 12, 2007
Phoenix,AZ
www.myspace.com
go to checker or auto zone, pick up a can of aluminum vht (or color of your choice) and paint it.
ive used it on engines/manifold/scrolls for months now with no discoloration or flaking.
just make sure to prep the item well aswell as getting all the oil off (finger prints) or sandblast it like me :)

staehlin180

Mar 5, 2007
Sacramento, CA
I just used a flat gunmetal high heat engine enamel from vato zone. Painted the turbo and exhaust manifold head shields. 4 years and it still looks good. Just make sure you get all the rust off and prep the surface well. Wear rubber gloves so skin oils don't get on the surface and use brake cleaner or denatured alcohol to clean the surface first. and follow the instructions on the paint can for flash times etc.

D.J.T.

Aug 25, 2010
Arkansas, United States
Well right now im just pist. i was installing one of the turbo brackets (I paint it..) when the bolt snapped & now WTF am i going to do... I just shipped out my extra CT26 exhaust housing an hour ago... how Ironic..

stevenr816

Feb 12, 2007
Phoenix,AZ
www.myspace.com
Gota7MGTE;1666712 said:
Well right now im just pist. i was installing one of the turbo brackets (I paint it..) when the bolt snapped & now WTF am i going to do... I just shipped out my extra CT26 exhaust housing an hour ago... how Ironic..

wow that blows. GL on getting that stud out (impossible)

D.J.T.

Aug 25, 2010
Arkansas, United States
stevenr816;1666737 said:
maybe if you spray penitrant on it for a week. then theres a possibiltiy

could always drill it and retap it if you have a good bit

My old man told me to spray WD40 when its warm to the touch, NOT HOT & to grab Vise grips & Try to grasp the piece & lock the grips HARD & twist it out...

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
Sep 9, 2005
U.S.
www.ebay.com
Gota7MGTE;1666657 said:
Hey guys my CT26 heat shield looks like is rusting pretty bad.. i was wondering if i could just spray paint on it with... Flame proof header paint. Silica * Ceramic coating. The can says it can withstand 1300 - 2000 degrees Fahrenheit. [704 - 1093 Celsius] & i have no idea how hot a CT26 can get. Thanks for any tips & lessons in advance..

Yep. High temp engine paint starts at 250-500. Meaning constant 250, peaks at 500. It will not handle it. Get barbaque grill paint. It is constant 500, up to 1000. I have it, it can hold.

You can see it, sort of, under/behind the intake pipe.

P1060332.JPG

D.J.T.

Aug 25, 2010
Arkansas, United States
Nick M;1666848 said:
Yep. High temp engine paint starts at 250-500. Meaning constant 250, peaks at 500. It will not handle it. Get barbaque grill paint. It is constant 500, up to 1000. I have it, it can hold.

You can see it, sort of, under/behind the intake pipe.

P1060332.JPG

Holy crap man, that is SUPER CLEAN!

bioskyline

Oct 21, 2010
powell river bc
Gota7MGTE;1666712 said:

ouch. you can try drilling it and try an easy out.

D.J.T.

Aug 25, 2010
Arkansas, United States
bioskyline;1666998 said:
ouch. you can try drilling it and try an easy out.

Yea. but my old man told me id have to take off the turbo & i don't have time for that since its my daily driver & i work almost every day. Looks like its time to follow my own advice & look for an "el cheapo Honda" & i swear.. theres alway a Honda Fan boy asking for an EXAGGERATED amount for his piece of crap. THEY REALLY GRIND MY GEARS! :3d_frown:

hvyman

Dang Dude! No Way Man.
Staff member
Apr 17, 2007
Fullerton,CA
Take a pick. With easy outs you drill in the center and then use the easy out. With some pb blaster should come out no problem without damaging threads.

Also which mount? I was only using the lower big 1 for the longest time.

D.J.T.

Aug 25, 2010
Arkansas, United States
hvyman;1667004 said:
Take a pick. With easy outs you drill in the center and then use the easy out. With some pb blaster should come out no problem without damaging threads.

Also which mount? I was only using the lower big 1 for the longest time.

Easy out? ill look into it asap.

& the top mount.. i took out the bolt fairly easily & when i was putting it back in it got tough & snapped like a twig.. idk why the bolt looked normal. probably wasn't meant for extreme heat i guess