Paint Jobs

EdmondBreaux

Mar 30, 2009
Moreno Valley, California
So heres the deal, my Supra needs to be painted(my avatar), and as most of you know earl scheib and maaco always have those cheap $500 paint jobs. Alot of people have said if you do good prep work then take it to them, that the paint job will come out pretty nice, but others have had bad experiences. Has anyone had any experience with maaco or earl scheib? Do you have any pics of maaco and earl scheib paint jobs? If I were to take it to either of them I would do ALL prep work, sanding, priming, sealing, fix dents, everything and just take it to them and just tell them to spray it, making sure the prep work is done perfect before taken to them. And the earl scheib in my area has good reviews and my friend got his accord painted there for $500 and he didnt do any prep work and it came out really good so that can be a plus i guess.

88guy

use to go 280KMH :(
Jun 13, 2009
Victoria BC Canada
Its probs shit.....Try a locally owned body or paint shop. They have to keep there reputation to compete with the chain stores. So there work will reflect there rep. Ask around about shops where you live.

Canuckrz

Jan 13, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
Maaco's quality varies very widely from shop to shop, its really a roll of the dice. Personally I'd do as 88guy suggested and take it to a local reputable place for the final paint, it wouldn't likely cost much if any more than Maaco would and you'll know its getting done right.

88guy

Jun 13, 2009
Victoria BC Canada
Canuckrz;1368211 said:
Maaco's quality varies very widely from shop to shop, its really a roll of the dice. Personally I'd do as 88guy suggested and take it to a local reputable place for the final paint, it wouldn't likely cost much if any more than Maaco would and you'll know its getting done right.

Theres is something to be said about a nice clean professional paint job on a supra. :icon_bigg

7mgtorC

Formerly SupraMann
Mar 5, 2008
California
yeah man.. dont trust those chains. its like going to jiffy lube for an oil change, cheap oil. You pay for what u get. With prep work i have plenty of local shops that will spray it for 150.00 easy.

EdmondBreaux

Mar 30, 2009
SupraMann;1368224 said:
yeah man.. dont trust those chains. its like going to jiffy lube for an oil change, cheap oil. You pay for what u get. With prep work i have plenty of local shops that will spray it for 150.00 easy.

do you mean if I took it to them fully prepped that they would spray it for $150? If so can you name some I'm in california as well

88guy

Jun 13, 2009
Victoria BC Canada
EdmondBreaux;1368502 said:
do you mean if I took it to them fully prepped that they would spray it for $150? If so can you name some I'm in california as well

Google search/yellow pages FTW!! call them up ask for a quote. Easy :icon_bigg

Canuckrz

Jan 13, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
EdmondBreaux;1368502 said:
Its not gonna happen for 150 considering the proper materials themselves cost that much as a bare minimum, you'd be looking at likely 300-500 depending on if its base clear or single stage, and if you're going to get them to wet sand it or not.

7thousandpiecesMGTE

Boostin USA
Apr 9, 2007
Harford County, Maryland
I had a maaco piant job on a saturn about 8 yrs ago. When I went to go pick it up with my dad it had sand/dirt in the paint... my dad raised hell with them and told them to do it over and that we were not taking it. The SECOND time the paint looked great, i personally had the car for two years no bubbling or flaking etc. BUT it did take two times to get it that way so i dont know.

Im kind of in the same boat now, I had money for paint but some other things have come up so im trying to decide what to do. maaco is a roll of the dice....

*james*

Dec 24, 2008
dmi
My local maaco has a special or at least did, $99 for a paint job. They scotch brite the car then spray it. My body shop teacher says its not even actual car paint. If it is, very poor paint. The only way i would take a risk with them is if i bought my own paint and prepped the whole car myself and just let them spray it. But if your doing that, might as well spray it in your garage, they probably dont clean their booth thoroughly, if they even have a proper spray/bake booth.. You pay for what you get!

88guy

Jun 13, 2009
Victoria BC Canada
*james*;1368632 said:
My local maaco has a special or at least did, $99 for a paint job. They scotch brite the car then spray it. My body shop teacher says its not even actual car paint. If it is, very poor paint. The only way i would take a risk with them is if i bought my own paint and prepped the whole car myself and just let them spray it. But if your doing that, might as well spray it in your garage, they probably dont clean their booth thoroughly, if they even have a proper spray/bake booth.. You pay for what you get!

Buddys of mine went to a chain shop.....that winter it rusted worse then it was before.

enjoi.this

Formerly ChrisC
Aug 18, 2008
Kelowna, BC
I also say try looking around for a local shop with some sort of reputation. I found one locally who does great spray jobs with proper equipment. If I do the prep work and purchase the paint and clear coat he will spray them both for $250.

SuperNova

May 29, 2008
Grand Prairie, Texas
PLEASE stay away from Maaco. I've been looking for a place to take my Nova and I'm expecting to pay around $4000 because I don't have the proper equipment to replace my quarter panel skins, and it needs some body work. I took it to Maaco and they quoted me around $1800 because they wouldn't do the proper prep work for it. I asked them if they would strip the car and they said no. And I talked with a couple people who had them paint one of their cars and the paint started bubbling up and cracking. So yea, local shops are your best bet. Just take your time while finding a good shop.

HommerSimpson

Dec 31, 2007
New Smyrna Beach Florida
I have seen prob over past 15 years.. boss has had ummm 50 or so cars painted from macco... you know the used car paint job...he know's the owner personaly and usally they look so so... some have come out that had to be redone... 2 or 3.. some looked like they were done at first class shop..it is a crap shot.. now for one.. you can acually look at the cars they paint.. most usally have a few outside.. just walk up and look at them.. but in the reality of money.. if you prep it good.. and get a $199 paint job from macco. it will prob look decent at night and 10 feet away..but thats about it...Im going to paint my car.. oneday i hope.. and even cheap ass me that dont pay for anyone to work on MY car... will pay someone thats good to shoot it... just supply all the materials..but no matter how good the painter is... prep is the key to good looking paint .. hard for paint to lay flat on crapy preped car...

EdmondBreaux

Mar 30, 2009
thanks for all the input, but what do you think about the earl scheib? I've read many reviews for the one in my area, and they've all been good. My friend got his accord painted there for $500. he didnt do any prep work just took it straight to them, and it came out really good, I don't see any imperfections. He got it painted 2 years ago, and it still looks great. I'm honestly not looking to spend $4000 for a paint job on a 20 year old car, thats way too much for someone whos not looking to put it into a car show or something. I am gonna look for some local shops though and get some quotes.

88guy

Jun 13, 2009
Victoria BC Canada
EdmondBreaux;1369350 said:
thanks for all the input, but what do you think about the earl scheib? I've read many reviews for the one in my area, and they've all been good. My friend got his accord painted there for $500. he didnt do any prep work just took it straight to them, and it came out really good, I don't see any imperfections. He got it painted 2 years ago, and it still looks great. I'm honestly not looking to spend $4000 for a paint job on a 20 year old car, thats way too much for someone whos not looking to put it into a car show or something. I am gonna look for some local shops though and get some quotes.

Never hurts to make a phone call :icon_bigg