Paint Color Dilemma... with pics.

bluebullet89

Oct 16, 2008
Meridian, ID
So.... Finally now that SIV has ended I'm devoting a lot of time over the fall and winter to repainting the supra.

My buddy who originally painted it did not go very in depth on the prep so it has its flaws and it has received a lot of rock chips, and slight rust bubble around the windshield and molding.*

I will be stripping down the car removing all the panels, molding, trim, replacing windshield, dropping motor/subframe, painting full bay, painting trunk, jams, and then after do a cut and polish to give it a show quality reflection and then clearbra the front to protect it. At that point the car will strictly be weekend/fair weather car.

My dilemma is i dont know what paint color to go this time around.*

I originally wanted to paint it Blue (something close to RSP or a dark metallic) but i still had the tan/brown interior. Now that i have Shadow Gray it will pretty much go with anything. I want a color that will stand out and be noticed but nothing too crazy.

The color options that i have thought of are
- Candy Red Metallic*

- Same (Current Gunmetal but add a Candy or Pearl)

- Dark Metallic Blue (possibly RSP, or Oceanic Audi Blue)

Or of course RSP

Pearl White

Quick Silver Metallic

Anthracite

Im open to other options. im just trying to figure out what i should paint it.

755hp

Goal - 755hp
Jul 19, 2012
Tri-State Area & MI
Maroon combination grey side body moldings, grey wheels and front Autoshine front lip....thats the color combo I'd like to get done to my Supra!

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
I like the red and the blues. Another color to consider is 4J7, only available for the 89 model year and it is a beautiful color. It's definitely different.

toyota_supra_86_4J7_02.jpg

bluebullet89

Oct 16, 2008
Meridian, ID
Silver MK3;2023829 said:
I like the red and the blues. Another color to consider is 4J7, only available for the 89 model year and it is a beautiful color. It's definitely different.

toyota_supra_86_4J7_02.jpg

Ya, lol sadly my car was originally Mahogony Pearl with very clean Brown/Tan interior but I kinda got tired of the brown. So first was the gray repaint and a couple months ago I swapped to the shadow gray interior.

I may be leaning towards Anthracite. Given, all the other colors are great but I havent seen an anthracite MKIII anywhere.

bluebullet89

Oct 16, 2008
Meridian, ID
So I think I have mostly decided.

Not anthracite or quicksilver or any of the others. Lets just say ive seen only 1 mkiv with this color because it is a custom color. But it is a specific gray which does have a code with a hint of another color my wife was hoping I would paint it and I must say it looks to die for. I do have a pic but not sure if I want everybody to see till after im done.

Should I post the pic or wait.

bluebullet89

Oct 16, 2008
Meridian, ID
BoostMonger;2023837 said:
boo!

Ive seen one or two anthracite mk3s

I kept searching and searching and did find at least one mkiii with anthracite. It is a gorgeous color. Leans a bit more to the brown side. This other color im almpst certain of leans towards a different color.

bluebullet89

Oct 16, 2008
Meridian, ID
maxburn;2023840 said:
You're going to kill us with anticipation aren't you? Haha.

I might I dont know cause i'll be spending time on the supra to really make sure its done right and gonna last. So if I do make everyone wait it would be until the spring. :/ so I might cave and post the picture.

Silver MK3

Jan 24, 2011
Madison, AL
bluebullet89;2023834 said:
Ya, lol sadly my car was originally Mahogony Pearl with very clean Brown/Tan interior but I kinda got tired of the brown. So first was the gray repaint and a couple months ago I swapped to the shadow gray interior.

I may be leaning towards Anthracite. Given, all the other colors are great but I havent seen an anthracite MKIII anywhere.

Haha, that's kinda weird. It's one of the rarest colors for the mk3, I didn't expect your car to originally have been that color.

bluebullet89;2023903 said:
I might I dont know cause i'll be spending time on the supra to really make sure its done right and gonna last. So if I do make everyone wait it would be until the spring. :/ so I might cave and post the picture.

Go ahead and post the picture, and then when your car is done you can post pictures of that too!

bluebullet89

Oct 16, 2008
Meridian, ID
Silver MK3;2023926 said:
Haha, that's kinda weird. It's one of the rarest colors for the mk3, I didn't expect your car to originally have been that color.
Go ahead and post the picture, and then when your car is done you can post pictures of that too!

Heres a couple pictures of when mine was Mahogany still. the pictures make the paint look even better than it was. This was just before the first paint job my buddy did.

the interior brown/tan

so you can really see that the paint needed some major help and guess after a while the brown didnt seem like a very appealing color to me among many others. The mahogany pearl in the supra world is a sweet color but... i just wanted something more that i personally love.

that brings us to the reveal of the color. My wife wanted me to paint it Blue so this has a blue pearl in it and i DIG it.