oxygen sensor question

bluedragon17

87 NA-T baby!!!
Sep 14, 2006
Vacaville, CA
I was wondering which wire is the signal wire. the reason im asking is cuz i want to run my a/f ratio gauge again instead of having it stcuk with no signal at pig rich. thanks for the help
chris

bluedragon17

87 NA-T baby!!!
Sep 14, 2006
Vacaville, CA
GrimJack said:
Two wires are the same color. It's not one of those.[/QUOte

thanks bro that helps but i realized how stupid this question was right after i posted it ill be hooking that up tomorrow along with removing the ACIS butterfly valve so i can have my top end back and also fixing my oil leak and coolant leak.............tomorrow is gonna be fun

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
^ I find it interesting someone building a 525 hp motor would ask such a basic question but OK, without going into excessive detail:

The O2 sensor is the primary emissions control device on the engine. It's sole purpose in life is to serve the catalytic converter by keeping the exhaust stream composition within narrow limits that provide best converter efficiency. If does that by providing a feedback signal to the ECU which the computer continually uses to adjust injection duration.

The result is an exhaust stream flip flopping from slightly rich to slightly lean and back again. This flip flopping is needed by the catalyst in order to do it's job. The engine also happens to run well there. Not optimal but it's a good compromise between performance, fuel economy, and emissions with the nod towards emissions.

Generally speaking the O2 sensor signal is used whenever a warm engine is operating in steady state conditions of cruise and idle. It's ignored during transitions, WOT, and when the engine is cold. If the sensor is detected as open (as in not plugged in) the ECU will run the engine slightly rich during those times it normally uses the sensor. There's more to it but you get the idea.

bluedragon17

87 NA-T baby!!!
Sep 14, 2006
Vacaville, CA
yeah tha basics witht hat one jj i know its comppletely more complicated than that but i understood that one and i know some more details but you explained it quite well enough

mista_sup

Nov 13, 2006
atlanta
where did u tap into the blue wire to keep it hidden??
bluedragon17 said:
yeah tha basics witht hat one jj i know its comppletely more complicated than that but i understood that one and i know some more details but you explained it quite well enough