over heated. lots of water?????

Supracentral

Mar 30, 2005
Rennat;1193021 said:
why bother with just one hose? replace every hose you can see, if ones gone to crap its only time before the rest go...

PREVENTATIVE MAINTENCE is your best friend with a supra.

This is the best statement made in this thread so far.

My MKIV hardtop has 189,000 miles on it.

My MKIII has well over 250,000 miles.

ALL of my cars last like this, not just my Supra's. Hell I've made late 1980's GM products last 200,000 miles...

Proper oil changes, proper coolant changes, replace belts and hoses as specified in the manual, not when they break and your cars will last you a very long time.

Maintenance is key.

Who

Supramania Contributor
3p141592654;1194567 said:
Buy these,

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=38598

then remove the PS reservoir and accordion hose, and use the pliers to squeeze and slide the clamps off the nipples.

Thanks.. I will have to add those pliers to my toolbox.

- - -

Does anybody have an opinion on reusing the constant pressure clamps. Should 20 year old clamps in good condition with no corrosion be reused or should new ones be bought with the new hoses?

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
I reuse em if they're in good shape...

Ditto on the heatshield that everyone has mentioned, but you also said it had oil on it so your CPS is probably leaking. Get the O-ring from the dealer for it and replace...

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
I agree: reuse them. Rather than bore you with the properties of spring steel I'll just say every spring band clamp on my 87 save one is original. Furthermore I long ago replaced the few stock non-band clamps with CT. I've never had any of them leak.

I suggest getting a couple of tools for the things, one plier type and one cable. For cable I like the Mayhew RigiFlex but any of the cheaper ones will do. I'd also suggest getting a hose puller, a tool that makes life easier when all you need is to remove a hose you're not going to replace. Take care with it however as improper use can cause hose damage.

Who

Supramania Contributor
Thanks guys. I'm adding a few tools to my Holiday list.

Two more questions. When I pull some hoses I see some oxidation on the necks of the fittings. For example, you pull the upper radiator hose off of the water pump and the aluminum water pump neck is speckled, pitted, bumpy. Do you scrape the oxidation off? Maybe use some light sandpaper around the neck to smooth it out? Do you just ignore it and put the hose and clamp back on.

Secondly, I've been told you can spray some silicone inside the hose to ease the fitment or help you slide the hose over the neck of hard to reach hose bibs. Would the silicone spray cause the hose to rot from the inside from a chemical reaction?

mk3tattoos

Apr 12, 2008
Bremerton, Wa
[on.

Secondly, I've been told you can spray some silicone inside the hose to ease the fitment or help you slide the hose over the neck of hard to reach hose bibs. Would the silicone spray cause the hose to rot from the inside from a chemical reaction?[/QUOTE]

good idea, i use wd40 on mine. those hoses are i bitch!

Poodles

I play with fire
Jul 22, 2006
Fort Worth, TX
I clean the nipples where the hoses go with a wire brush (or wheel if the part is easily removed like the t-stat housing), and generally I don't have to use any lubrication to get the hose on.

I've heard of people using windex (glass cleaner) as a lubricant as it dries fast and doesn't stay slick.

CyFi6

Aliens.
Oct 11, 2007
Phoenix
www.google.com
Never use wd40 on rubber hoses! Its a petroleum based oil and very bad for rubber. Best bet would probably be a soapy water solution (the same stuff they use for installing tires)

zurud

Apr 10, 2005
Evansville, IN
What is ecd prblem. I just use autozone 90 degree heater hose. I use worm clamp since the stock one is long gone. I guess the previous owner blow that hose long time ago. I still have the heatshield. This year is the 3rd time I am relacing that damn hose.

Who

Supramania Contributor
zurud;1195336 said:
What is ecd prblem. I just use autozone 90 degree heater hose. I use worm clamp since the stock one is long gone. I guess the previous owner blow that hose long time ago. I still have the heatshield. This year is the 3rd time I am relacing that damn hose.

ECD - electrochemical degradation