over heated. lots of water?????

mk3tattoos

Apr 12, 2008
Bremerton, Wa
over heated! and now there's water coming out from behind were the water pump is held to. its not pouring out its more like its raining from the under side of the water pump. but further back, closer to the engine. does anyone have an idea what is wrong. i have it sitting at my tattoo shop and plan on taking everything apart tomorow. thank you very much evrybody.

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
gaboonviper85;1192884 said:
Blown headgasket....check your oil it probably has water in it.....

Ummm...probably not.

There's a small 90 deg rubber hose connecting the fitting on the bottom of the water neck (has the thermo housing on it) to the hard line around the block. Suggest you check it.

ms07s

TORGUE!
Sep 29, 2007
Memphis,Tn
Stop buy a local parts store and get a 5/8 90 deg hose and some coolant. Go ahead and get two hoses, the one at the back of the head is probably next!

Rennat

5psi...? haha
Dec 6, 2005
Tracy, CA
www.myspace.com
why bother with just one hose? replace every hose you can see, if ones gone to crap its only time before the rest go...

PREVENTATIVE MAINTENCE is your best friend with a supra.

Clint

AzSupras
Apr 4, 2005
Mesa, Arizona, United States
jdub;1192906 said:
Ummm...probably not.

There's a small 90 deg rubber hose connecting the fitting on the bottom of the water neck (has the thermo housing on it) to the hard line around the block. Suggest you check it.

BINGO,

Yeah that hose is a PITA, my first supra got bhg because of that damn hose...

jdub

Official SM Expert: Motor Oil, Lubricants & Fil
SM Expert
Feb 10, 2006
Valley of the Sun
mk3tattoos;1193197 said:
i will replace all hoses tomorow morning, thanks so much for the info. I heard to use distilled water and coolant, is that true?

Yes...mix 50/50.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
Replace the hose(s), pressure test if possible, and fill with a 50/50 mix of coolant and distilled water. Use Toyota coolant or G-05. My preference is for G-05 but you may have to flush the system depending on what was previously in there. Best to flush it regardless. Might want to splurge on a bottle of coolant dye too.

tsparks01;1192757 said:
...prestein all antifascist....

Try to avoid that stuff ;)

edit: Beaten by the dubster....

mk3tattoos

Apr 12, 2008
Bremerton, Wa
jetjock;1193213 said:
Replace the hose(s), pressure test if possible, and fill with a 50/50 mix of coolant and distilled water. Use Toyota coolant or G-O5. My preference is for G-O5 but you may have to flush the system depending on what was previously in there. Best to flush it regardless. Might want to splurge on a bottle of coolant dye too.

Try to avoid that stuff ;)

edit: Beaten by the dubster....
ok i have a couple questions on that. what is the pressure test, and how do i do it? how do i do the coolant dye? i have never heard of doing that. my engine has 5k miles on it, but i could not replace them all. but i have never had a problem with over heating until the day it happend. thank you very much for the great info and i plan on getting it up and running in the morning, and i will let you know how it went.

Who

Supramania Contributor
The pressure test is a hand pump that you connect to the radiator and you pump up the cooling system to pressure and look for leaks.

The coolant dye is a chemical added to the radiator fluid that will show you leaks with a UV light or black light.

Fix the hoses. Pressure test your system for leaks. If it passes the pressure test you would add the coolant dye to the antifreeze. You could pressure test it again or check underneath your hood with a uv light on a daily basis after your daily commutes. If the system is leaking anywhere it will light up like a Christmas tree.

Last edited:

mk3tattoos

Apr 12, 2008
Bremerton, Wa
ok so it was the 90 dagree hose behind the water pump. so did the flush and tested for pressure and it was great. put in Go5 and distilled water. i am going to chand the rest of the hoses. oh and that hose had a bad blow out or rats chewed on it. there were slice marks and it was swallen to the max. an it had oil on it. so thanks again for the help i realy needed it.

ms07s

TORGUE!
Sep 29, 2007
Memphis,Tn
Those hoses blow out often. They are right next to the manifold and have 200 degree coolant within. I replace mine yearly as a prevenative measure when I change my rad cap and thermostat.

zurud

Apr 10, 2005
Evansville, IN
I hate that hose. Mine blow up every 2 year. I put bunch of ziptie and aluminium foil on them. I am looking to replace all the heater hose with corrugated stainless, silicone or braided steel hose.

jetjock

creepy-ass cracka
Jul 11, 2005
Redacted per Title 18 USC Section 798
zurud;1194353 said:
Mine blow up every 2 year.

The hose shouldn't fail that often. It sounds like you have an ECD problem. I suggest you pay more attention to coolant potential and use either OEM or Gates hoses, both of which are formulated to be ECD resistant. You should also use the correct constant tension clamps and be sure the heat shield is in place. Fwiw that hose in my car has 49K miles on it and, in nearly 22 years, is only the second one that's ever been on the engine...