Outstanding subwoofer for the targa guys

Sside

May 20, 2008
Houston
emericaskater285;1938634 said:
I have a 5 channel amp before I had a 4 channel amp and a monoblock for my sub. Sub is very responsive, and is very loud and accurate. It is about quality not the size of sub. I would take a 10" w3 over a 15" type R any day. IMO JL is the highest quality of audio that any local places sell.

Its okay, its fine..... An 8 inch sub will be very responsive and accurate vs a 12 or 15..... And then it goes into what type of music you listen to and then it goes into what kind of overall system you have in your car.... Also, you are comparing JL to Alpine and thats just not fair. My Kickers would destroy any Sony Xplods but I will say this, alot and I mean alot has to do with how smart you build your system.... By that I mean the wiring, the amp, the ohms on the sub, the stability of ohms on the amp, the type of box and so on...... Many times bigger subwoofers get a bad rep because they are never powered correctly so the assumption is well its weak. Your w3 needs atleast 75 watts rms to function and thats pretty easy to do with almost any high quality amp regardless of it being 2 channel bridged, 4 channel bridged, mono and so on..... Most high quality amps will move that sub at ease no biggie. Its a great sub for our cars to keep weight down and targa space in the back....... I'm sure its loud. I have two cvr's in my sup with an amp no bigger than a sega genesis 3 and its both responsive when I want it to be and destructive when I want it to be....... Then again I have no space for anything in my hatch....

Sep 19, 2011
Des Moines, IA
Sside;1938651 said:
Its okay, its fine..... An 8 inch sub will be very responsive and accurate vs a 12 or 15..... And then it goes into what type of music you listen to and then it goes into what kind of overall system you have in your car.... Also, you are comparing JL to Alpine and thats just not fair. My Kickers would destroy any Sony Xplods but I will say this, alot and I mean alot has to do with how smart you build your system.... By that I mean the wiring, the amp, the ohms on the sub, the stability of ohms on the amp, the type of box and so on...... Many times bigger subwoofers get a bad rep because they are never powered correctly so the assumption is well its weak. Your w3 needs atleast 75 watts rms to function and thats pretty easy to do with almost any high quality amp regardless of it being 2 channel bridged, 4 channel bridged, mono and so on..... Most high quality amps will move that sub at ease no biggie. Its a great sub for our cars to keep weight down and targa space in the back....... I'm sure its loud. I have two cvr's in my sup with an amp no bigger than a sega genesis 3 and its both responsive when I want it to be and destructive when I want it to be....... Then again I have no space for anything in my hatch....

I am not sure what your plans for your Supra are, IMO that is too much weight. If I wanted to rattle a car, I would go buy an SUV and throw 4 12"s in there.
On another note, I have my speakers and amp wired to four ohm, and my sub is wired in 2 ohm.

Sside

May 20, 2008
Houston
emericaskater285;1938652 said:
I am not sure what your plans for your Supra are, IMO that is too much weight. If I wanted to rattle a car, I would go buy an SUV and throw 4 12"s in there.
On another note, I have my speakers and amp wired to four ohm, and my sub is wired in 2 ohm.

My plans are for 86 HP at the wheel..... I hope you are not implying that thats too much weight to make power or for the car to lose performace.... Anyways, I dont drive an SUV I drive a supra...... I dont buy cars for the sole purpose of installing something on them, I buy the car for the sole purpose of driving the car I like and having what I want in the car I want.... I just dont like small subwoofers, they are great for home theaters but not for car audio.

NewGen

Apr 6, 2007
Norwalk, IA
emericaskater285;1938652 said:
lol

supraguy@aol

Dec 30, 2005
Atlanta
Sside;1938667 said:
My plans are for 86 HP at the wheel..... I hope you are not implying that thats too much weight to make power or for the car to lose performace.....

If you're planning on 86 rwhp, I suggest that you DO consider the weight of your sound system.
:)

91Supra313

Jul 30, 2009
Clarksville TN
supraguy@aol;1940214 said:
If you're planning on 86 rwhp, I suggest that you DO consider the weight of your sound system.
:)
If that is his plan then he needs to sell the supra and get a Smart car......wait, I think even those have more then 86hp. lmao

Sside

May 20, 2008
Houston
91Supra313;1940222 said:
If that is his plan then he needs to sell the supra and get a Smart car......wait, I think even those have more then 86hp. lmao

Sold my Supra today.....
Went and got this :)....
142106d1224747072-my-wife-yellow-smart-smart-car-7.jpg

Sooooo close ugh....

p1942939_1.jpg~original

Life is gooood.

87supramario

Jul 15, 2011
Niagara falls
emericaskater285;1937629 said:
Yes, it is a JL w7 8". They are cool and monstrous. I used to be into the bass a bunch, but I am just in for the audio quality now. Besides the fact that that 8" JL w7 would weight 80+ pounds with the box, need a monster amp to push it, and is expensive as hell. It also will not fit the targa in the back.

This sub I have is in a ported box. The port is on the left side. This is a JL w3 8". Also one other thing, you can not compare sound of subs by how big they are. It is about what they can put out. I guarantee that this little 8" jl sub I have will make your alpine 12" sound like shit. How do I know? I have owned both. Also the response on 8" subs is much better than 10's or 12's. Although my 10's in my truck(also JL's) are pretty responsive. Another note to take for car audio, you "usually" get what you pay for.

Yes that one! I checked and it's the one I was going to purchase. But for some reason when I went back, it was a different guy and he gave me a much higher price. So I didn't end up walking out with it. It was also in a ported box but I'm almost positive it had a different JL logo.

I've had a crappy 8'' system in my car for the longest time and I loved it because it was small but it was a good sound. When you get too big and too loud, dyno matting also gets heavy and expensive alone. But I would not rattle a car in public without dyno matting AND and high and mid upgrade to keep up. The w7 would also be a bit louder then I like, but it's always good to leave room.

Sside;1938631 said:
I could never roll with a 1 8 inch sub and a 4 channel amp lol..... Its like trying to race a small 4 cylinder non turbo car, sure its fun sometimes but in the end its just not enough......

Anything bigger then the W7 and your really getting into over kill on the bass and weight. I could only tell you this because I have heard a 12'' playing at a volume, and without it being turned down, the guy at the audio store unplugged the twelve and plugged in the 8'' w7 JL and this little thing kicked ass! I loved it because it would reach the low lows that a twelve would need more power to reach because this little thing didn't need as much power to pound (300w). And the weight is also being saved here. You never need much in a hatch back car